Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Books

Comic Books

Does anyone here read or collect comics?

I'm currently reading:

Fables
    Jack of Fables
    Invincible
    Green Lantern
    The Muppet Show
    The Incredibles

and as graphic novels:

Starman

• Super

Re: Comic Books

I've been re-reading Watchmen recently... well right now, since seeing the film a while back. Just as incredible as always!

I really need to start reading a lot more... once I get back to Australia my collection will be increasing quite a lot. Things I love the most of all: Art Spiegelman's Maus and Dan Clowes's work. Real great stuff.

Maus is such an amazing comic book, one of the most important ones.

Watchmen is just brilliant. Every time you read it you pick up on something new.

Have you read Y The Last Man? That is a great comic, same with Bone.

• 'splosions

Bone is my all time favorite book to read. period.

lately I've been wanting to start reading the Ultimate X-men series. I know its finished its run now, so i'm stuck picking up the trades.

Also, FullMetal Alchemist is pretty good as well

I loved the first 6 trades or so of Ult. X-Men when Mark Millar was writing it. Brian Michael Bendis, who writes Ult. Spider-man which is awesome, did a few issues which was also good, but I lost interest in the book after that. But Millar's stuff is great.

Also by Millar that is great is The first two Ultimates books, these are really great stories.

• Minion

Hellboy!
    I want my cake back!

Hellboy is good stuff! Love the live action movies and comics. Have you seen the cartoons?

Some what in the same theme is a comic book called The Goon. Ever hear of it?

• Minion

Yeah, I've seen the animated movies, that's what you meant right? I'm so glad they used the same actors voices as in the movies. Not real familiar with the Goon.
    I want my cake back!

Yes, I was referring to the animated ones. I still need to see them

The Goon is well, he is sort of a bouncer that fights monsters. A bit more to it than that, but he teamed up with Hellboy once. Beautiful art work in the comic. I've been meaning to get some of the graphic novels to read.

• mountains beyond mtns.

I currently read:

Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8
    Justice Society of America

Brand, are you excited for the Green Lantern Blackest Night event starting up soon?

Don't forget this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day and the Green Lantern issue that comes out ties into Blackest Night.

• Disneyland PAP

I'm currently reading:

Trinity - pretty much a waste of my time, but it's almost done
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 - Pure perfection!
    All-Star Superman Volume 2 - Actually finishing re-reading my Volume 1, having just received my Volume 2 from Amazon last week.
    The War That Time Forgot - Got the last issue on my nightstand
    Wonder Woman
    Kick-*** - Issue 6 is on my nightstand too
    Batman: Battle for the Cowl - Hate to admit I got sucked in my this gimmick, it's the Batman fan in me.
    The Flash: Rebirth

Obviously I'm a DC nut. I've also read the first two story arcs of House of Mystery and Madame Xanadu, but I'll buy the trade paperbacks from now on. I was also doing that for Fables, but I'm about 3 or 4 TPBs behind on those now I think; not sure if I'll ever get to catch up now. I'm very interested in reading The Blackest Night Saga, but I think I'll hold off until they're collected in hardback too. That's what I've done will most of the story arcs for Geoff Johns GL run, which have been unfrickenbelieveable!

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer Fan View Post
    Brand, are you excited for the Green Lantern Blackest Night event starting up soon?

Don't forget this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day and the Green Lantern issue that comes out ties into Blackest Night.
    Sure am! And I'll definitely be at Free Comic Day for Blackest Night #0 and the Cars comic and the Transformers/GI Joe comic.

I forgot about it until Gone2Disneyland but I guess I'll be reading Flash Rebirth as well as I have the first issue and would like to stick with it. I also forgot about the current GI Joe IDW series as well as GI Joe Origins.

Gone2Disneyland- I'd try and keep with Fables, there is some great stuff going on and now that the first official half of the series, the battle with the Adversary, is over, the second half is even better!

Brand42- I can't wait for the battle to begin! I'm really digging the Blue Lanterns, especially Saint Walker. I love how they increase the strength of a Green Lantern's ring.

I've really been enjoying Geoff Johns run on this book. While I started reading GL when Ron Marz was writing and Kyle Rayner was the only lantern left, Kyle will always be my Green Lantern, I am really enjoying the massive story Johns is doing not only with Jordan but the entire mythology of the Green Lantern Corps in general. He's doing some real amazing stuff with it and I look forward to each issue to see what happens next.

Anyone going to watch the Green Lantern animated film due this summer on DVD?

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer Fan View Post
    Gone2Disneyland- I'd try and keep with Fables, there is some great stuff going on and now that the first official half of the series, the battle with the Adversary, is over, the second half is even better!

I've really been enjoying Geoff Johns run on this book. While I started reading GL when Ron Marz was writing and Kyle Rayner was the only lantern left, Kyle will always be my Green Lantern, I am really enjoying the massive story Johns is doing not only with Jordan but the entire mythology of the Green Lantern Corps in general. He's doing some real amazing stuff with it and I look forward to each issue to see what happens next.

Anyone going to watch the Green Lantern animated film due this summer on DVD?
    I just checked about the Fables TPBs on Amazon. Volume 9 is on my bookshelf, so apparently I'm 3 books behind with Volume 12 not even out until August. So I suppose I could catch up, but I keep busy lots of other things these days. But thanks for the encouragement.

I discovered Kyle Rayner during the tale end of the original GL series. I liked how he was introduced as a graphic artist because that's my line of work. But Hal Jordan is the GL I grew up with, and yes, Geoff Johns is rockin' the house with his take on the Corps and its scope. I just finished Secret Origins a couple of weeks ago; will buy Rage of the Red Lanterns in hardcover when that comes out in July.

Regarding the upcoming direct-to-video (Blu-ray in my case ), I was surprised when I originally read a synopsis that this wouldn't be based on a particular GL story. But Wonder Woman was a great, and the preview for Green Lantern on WW looks just as exciting too.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast