View Poll Results: Which Is Your Favorite Harry Potter Book?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Year One - The Sorcerer's Stone

6 11.11%
  • Year Two - The Chamber of Secrets

1 1.85%
  • Year Three - The Prisoner of Azkaban

6 11.11%
  • Year Four - The Goblet of Fire

9 16.67%
  • Year Five - The Order of the Phoenix

12 22.22%
  • Year Six - The Half Blood Prince

9 16.67%
  • Year Seven - The Deathly Hallows

11 20.37%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The one and only

Re: Potter Fans, I've Got One Question For Ya!!!!!

I think my order is:

PoA
    DH
    HBP
    PS
    OotP
    GoF
    CoS

But, um... I've read the series cover-to-cover 16 times, and I'm always just as thrilled whether I am reading PoA or CoS. They're all great.

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    7 Wipes me out more. With the loss of a certain person in particular, it makes me remember the "laughter". Know who I'm talking about?

Not trying to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
    AHH. That was so sad. And that character had just reconnected to the, err, other character in that scene. It was a great representation for the innocent being lost during war, but still, why couldn't iit have been someone else? There's a great song about that character's death called "A Phoenix Lament" by Ministry of Magic.
    Last edited by Jordiekins; 07-06-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: to respond to Aiden's Daddy

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

My favorite is the first book, for the same reasons that I prefer the first third of The Lord of the Rings. There's still hope, anything can happen, it's all fresh and new. You learn about all this fantastic magic through Harry's eyes, discover a new world and make friends with some wonderful characters.

I don't say that Book 1 is the 'best' book, just my personal favorite. The story and characters get much more complex as times goes on, so the books become actually much better written and more 'adult' in tone.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

My favorite is Sorcerer's Stone. It's the book that started it all & made me fall in love with the wizarding world. Everything was so new and fresh.

I'm almost done rereading Half-Blood Prince in preparation for the midnight showing! I'm so excited...it's been way too long!
    <o>

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    I picked 7. The last 3 (5,6, and 7) were neck and neck for me.

Reading how it all wraps up in DH was great.
    I think the epilogue in 7 was bitter sweet.

But I've always said, the very very first chapter in book 1, was "The Boy Who Lived".

I think the epilogue or the last chapter in book 7 should've been "The Boy Who Lived"

• Minion

7 Wipes me out more. With the loss of a certain person in particular, it makes me remember the "laughter". Know who I'm talking about?

Not trying to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordiekins View Post

AHH. That was so sad. And that character had just reconnected to the, err, other character in that scene. It was a great representation for the innocent being lost during war, but still, why couldn't iit have been someone else? There's a great song about that character's death called "A Phoenix Lament" by Ministry of Magic.
    Now that I think about it, there was actually another character that was lost in book 7, that part of me thinks, was worse than the other character I made mention to.

And not to spoil this one either, and to not mention names, I was very sad when another important character was lost towards the "beginning" of the book, and this one wasn't human.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Now that I think about it, there was actually another character that was lost in book 7, that part of me thinks, was worse than the other character I made mention to.

And not to spoil this one either, and to not mention names, I was very sad when another important character was lost towards the "beginning" of the book, and this one wasn't human.

huh? who's missing?

btw, it's accepted internet wide, if you have not read hp 7 yet tough noogies. but just so we don't have that one person get their panties in a bunch, you an always spoiler tag it.

Spoiler
    who the hell are you guys talking about? She even brought back Wood for this one!

OH, wait i just got it,loss as in died!

ok, i think I'm with ya now.

I was sad when Hedwig died too

• is "Turn[ing] It Off"

I think the epilogue in 7 was bitter sweet.

But I've always said, the very very first chapter in book 1, was "The Boy Who Lived".

I think the epilogue or the last chapter in book 7 should've been "The Boy Who Lived"
    I wasn't really fond of the epilogue. I thought the book would have actually been stronger with it just ending as you described in the last chapter. With all the post Deathly Hallows interviews, there was really no need for an epilogue anyways.

With all the deaths in the Deathly Hallows, there was only a handful that I didn't like. The one that you quote was one of them. The rest occurred at the end of the book. I don't want to mention them for the same reason as you. By the end of the series, there were some characters that I was surprised to see survive (who weren't in with Voldemort).

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I agree, the epilogue was unnecessary. Blah!
    A signature should go here.

• My cuties!

Her writing progressed so much from book 1 to book 7 and the epilogue was obviously written years before Deathly Hallows. It just seemed out of place.

• Rock Star Minion

Just finished the conversation late in Book 7 between Snape and Voldemort. I now understand why Snape wants desperately to "find Potter." Learn something new everytime I read them. Just never noticed the desperation in the words. Desperation similar (in both emotion and deception) to Lucius wanting Voldemort to end the battle so he could find Draco. Snape is a better Occlumes than Lucius.
    I'll be voting for Book 7. It is (literally) all over the place, with Harry going places he's never been and some places he's already been to wrap up plot points, with bringing back prior characters (messing up potential movie plots in which characters were deleted), etc. Add to that the clever jumping of Harry into Voldemort's mind to keep Harry ahead of the game, I think it just eeks out PoA and HBP.
    And I don't mind the epilogue one bit.
    I hear Alan Rickman needed a special incentive to play the role of Snape. He was told something by JKR before the first movie came out, way before the last book came out.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The one and only

The Ministry of Magic also wrote a song about that one. In fat, it's right before "A Phoenix Lament" on the same cd. It's called "Falling Sidecar."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    He was told something by JKR before the first movie came out, way before the last book came out.

Spoiler
    she said years later that it was the whole Lily bit that he knew from the beginning.

But, I mean... who couldn't have gessed that? *looks around nervously*
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Speaking of Potter, have you guys seen this yet? Isn't it beautiful?
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    I might as well talk about "A Very Potter Musical" as well. I just finished watching it again. They've recently re-edited it and made it more appropriate for teenagers. It's made of 23 youtube videos, so it will take you awhile to watch.

Here's the first part:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwM_AKeMCk]YouTube - A Very Potter Musical Act 1 Part 1[/ame]

I've grown up with Harry Potter and loved every minute of it. My mom is the one who got me into the books because she was so in love with them that she told me I HAD to read them in order to avoid being grounded. My absolute favorite book is 5, because Sirius Black is my favorite character of all time. I held out until the very last page of book 7 to accept the fact that he was in fact dead and did not just fall behind a curtain but did not ACTUALLY get hit with the killing curse. In my humble opinion, he deserved a much more exciting death than merely falling into the curtain and disappearing, although the movie portrayed it better than my imagination from just reading.

Book One is my favorite, as it introduces us to the world of magic, jsut as it does Harry. He learns about it in the same way that we do, in his case by experiencing it, in ours, by reading about it.

Although there were various characters that were killed off prior to Book Seven - it was the deaths of the non-human characters that had the biggest impact on me. I am not going to spoil this in case there is someone who has not read it yet, let's just say there are 2 of them - one an animal, the other a non-human, magical creature that are still very hard to read about being killed (my little boy likes to say that the magical creature was "whisked off to Disneyland" - rather than saying that they were killed). I just hope that they really do justice to the book in the movie - even if both parts are 3 1/2 hours long!

I would LOVE to have JK come out with a book that really details what happened between the end of Book 7 and the Epilogue. There are so many characters that we got to know - it would be nice to have the official word on what happened to them.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elisebairdcnu View Post
    My absolute favorite book is 5, because Sirius Black is my favorite character of all time. I held out until the very last page of book 7 to accept the fact that he was in fact dead and did not just fall behind a curtain but did not ACTUALLY get hit with the killing curse. In my humble opinion, he deserved a much more exciting death than merely falling into the curtain and disappearing, although the movie portrayed it better than my imagination from just reading.
    Yeah, his death in the book was not nearly as exciting as it was in the movie, but I think she really captured the slow-motion shock that everyone felt when it happened. I think I was holding my breath along with all the characters! It's pretty chilling when you think about what the purpose of that room and the veil are, and consider that it was probably his fate to go through it anyway if he had not been cleared of all of his alleged murders. Dun dun dunnnn!
    A signature should go here.

I chose book 5, Order of the Pheonix

I love this one because it takes everthing that we have seen and turns it upside down: dumbledore is replaced, Harry isn't allowed to play quidditch, Fred and George leave the school, Prof. Mcgonaggle is knocked out in a fight with Umbridge, it is a crazy book.

Also that end scene in the Ministry was one of my Favorites, I was a little dissapointed they cut back on it in the movie, but I understand that they probably didnt want to show the kids being to beat up and bloody.

BUT, Deathly hallows was also just as good and it was the hardest choice ever to decide between the two. I only went with OoTP because it was less sad.

As for Deathly hallows my favorite scene was when they went into the ministry of magic disguised as workers. So much tension and sneaking around, It was great.

But #5 wins for me

and I see nobody is picking Chamber of Secrets. I guess they just couldnt take Gilderoy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast