Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Beatles "Rockband": How Big Is It?

I will admit, to the surprise of few who know me, that I am not much into video gaming and the like. Say "guitar hero" to me, and I'll think of Les Paul, Dick Dale or the like.

But I see that stores are opening at midnight, 9-9-09, to sell the Beatles version of "Rockband".

The Beatles are probably my second favorite group, ever (I do have family loyalties after all).

I grew up with the Beatles and know their story and their music very well.

And I'm loving the stuff on VH1 Classic this week, albeit part of the hype for the sale of a video game (or whatever you call it).

In your opinion, just how big an event is this? Will it further pass along their legacy to current and future generations?

Maybe I should have re-titled the thread. I know how big the band was. Four of them...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Re: The Beatles "Rockband": How Big Is It?

They tend to have midnight sales of major games and systems so it isn't uncommon to do something like that. Last week my brother went to the midnight sale of the new Batman game.

As for exposing the newer generation to the music of The Beatles, I'm sure it will. As it is with games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band it gets kids interested in the music they are playing which is in the game. Especially since they hear it multiple times to try and get a perfect/high score.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    They tend to have midnight sales of major games and systems so it isn't uncommon to do something like that. Last week my brother went to the midnight sale of the new Batman game.
    They did the same thing, I know, for the John Madden football game too.

Is this something that's designed for XBOX and PlayStation? Will there be a Wii version? Do you have to have actual musical instruments to play it?

And I guess I'm looking for the larger view, too. How important is this in music history, for example?

In any event, they showed Help! today. I recorded it. Haven't seen that in decades! I have recently again seen A Hard Day's Night, which they will also be showing. That is a classic.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    They did the same thing, I know, for the John Madden football game too.

Is this something that's designed for XBOX and PlayStation? Will there be a Wii version? Do you have to have actual musical instruments to play it?

And I guess I'm looking for the larger view, too. How important is this in music history, for example?

In any event, they showed Help! today. I recorded it. Haven't seen that in decades! I have recently again seen A Hard Day's Night, which they will also be showing. That is a classic.
    I am super excited for this as the Beatles are my favorite band of all time!!

As far as this being a part of music history...I think that it'll definitely become part of the Beatles career history. I get a subscription to a game magazine and it had an article in it about this game. George Harrison's son Dhani, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr all had a part in the creation of the game. Here's another article about it...

The Beatles: Rock Band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And in order to play rock band you have to atleast have one of the instruments. To have a full band you should have one microphone, one drum set and 2 guitars. The full set costs $249 and just the game costs $59 (if you already have the instruments) and it's available for the wii, xbox360 and ps3.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

The full set comes with a replica of pauls violin bass, ringos black pearl drums and the microphone with the game. If you want John and georges replica instruments add in another $100 a pop. If you have the wireless microphones from the game Lips, you will be able to use them to have 3 part harmony. Following the launch if the game, Harmonix will be releasing albums as downloadable content. Abby Road will follow soon after.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

My son loves the Beatles and got a chance to try the new game at Beatlefest at the Queen Mary a couple of weeks ago. It looks like a winner, I love the regular rock band too though.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I loves me some Beatles!

We've got Rockband, some instruments came with it but I forget what...guitar and drum pads at least.

I was just reading an article yesterday that sales of this type of stuff (rockband, guitar hero) have really slumped lately. I don't know if the Beatles will really be a huge seller, given that they're a historical group and less a household name than they once were.

Now, once the catalog becomes available on iTunes, that will probably do very well.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

This week is going sooooooooooooooooooooo slow. Can't wait.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Circle of Ancients

I can't wait for this. It's going to be great.

As much as I'd LOVE to have the replica instruments, gonna be too rich for my blood.

As far as getting a new generation to love/appreciate the awesomeness that is the Beatles, I absolutely think it will happen.

No matter your opinion on "Instrument Games" and if your against them because "kids should be playing REAL instruments" the fact that it's gotten more kids interested in music, and actual GOOD music is enough for me. There are also MANY kids who have turned their obsession with Rock Band or Guitar Hero into an obsession to learn a real instrument.

• Triple Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

As much as I'd LOVE to have the replica instruments, gonna be too rich for my blood.

As far as getting a new generation to love/appreciate the awesomeness that is the Beatles, I absolutely think it will happen.

No matter your opinion on "Instrument Games" and if your against them because "kids should be playing REAL instruments" the fact that it's gotten more kids interested in music, and actual GOOD music is enough for me. There are also MANY kids who have turned their obsession with Rock Band or Guitar Hero into an obsession to learn a real instrument.
    I completely agree with this! We are a musical family and the fact that we can introduce our kids to the music that we grew up on and love is just amazing! We have a blast playing Rock Band! I think that appreciation for all types of music is just as important as learning the notes and how to play.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Whenever I go into a place that still sells music the old-fashioned way (as in CD's) I'm still astounded by the selection of Beatles stuff that people are obviously still buying, 40 years after their breakup.

So you can get the game, without having to buy the replica instruments?

Again, please pardon my ignorance on this.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

You can buy the game without the instruments, but you need some form of instrument to play the game. You could go to a Gamestop or a Gamecrazy and find a used Guitar Hero or Rock Band guitar for about $30 but I don't think they sell used drums. You would have to find a set on eBay, but they tend to get the crap beat out of them and break.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Absolutely... and they're making music rather than killing each other or stealing cars. Maybe they're into those games too but there used to be no relief from it.

I guess I'm someone who wasn't always a Beatles fan but I have been in the last 10 years. These games are great at exposing kids to great rock tunes of all eras and that's always a great thing.

(so glad they haven't made a rap hero yet.. that would annoy the hell out of me)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    (so glad they haven't made a rap hero yet.. that would annoy the hell out of me)
    Beaterator

Beaterator Impressions: Can Rockstar Make You A Music Star? - beaterator - Kotaku

Rapstar

Rapstar Impressions: "They Sing, We Rap" - Rapstar - Kotaku

and there are two DJ games coming up, DJ Hero and Scratch: the Ultimate DJ
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Shablagoo!

Would it be appropriate to say "Bigger than Jesus..."?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast