Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: What is considered an "Oldie"???

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Maybe it's both a timeframe AND genre?
    I think it is, and it's relative to when you grew up. So we associate the music that came before us as "oldies", but I think there are also songs that are generally agreed upon to be "classics."
    A signature should go here.

• Minion

I personally think it's a genre. Then again, if somebody did a remake of an oldie today, it wouldn't be an oldie.

Maybe it's both a timeframe AND genre?
    Thats the confussing part, because id say its a genre because you can recreate music like the oldies today, but if you play it and it sounds like an oldie then its associated as an oldie.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Rock Star Minion

I was listening to K-Earth 101 today (Local "Oldies" station) and they played The Police and a Michael Jackson song.

Now to me, these are NOT "Oldies". The Police are Classic Rock. Michael Jackson is "Pop".
    They are now.
    K-EARTH is the decider.
    You're listening to K-EARTH. There's your first problem.
    That you are not listening to The Sound (100.3) 24/7 is your second problem. Good music, the actual album cuts (Frampton's "Do you Feel...," all 14 minutes anyone?), sometimes cueing up LPs with the scratches (which I'd rather they didn't) to play a whole album side, actual DJs talking about the music they just played, etc.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Just the Facts

• "Bowling for Soup - 1985", kinda nails it.
    • She hates time make it stop
      When did Motley Crue become classic rock?
      And when did Ozzy become an actor?
      Please make this stop
      Stop!
      And bring back

Springsteen, Madonna
      Way before Nirvana
      There was U2 and Blondie
      And music still on MTV
      Her two kids in high school
      They tell her that she’s uncool
      Cause she's still preoccupied
      With 1985

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Oldies, if referring to people, I'd say 100 years.

Anything else, 50 years minimum.
    ^^LOL that cracked me up.

Gregg, I think this is a very good discussion. I always refer to "oldies" music as The Supremes, Elvis, Chuck Berry,Frankie Avalon, The Monkees, The Byrds, etc, during the 50's and 60's era. Considering that's the time frame I grew up listening to music with my parents.

When, I have a discussion with my girls(they are 20 and 17yo) about music,they consider 70's and 80's as oldies. So I guess it's more of a time frame in that respect.

Good Topic and an Oldie is always a goodie

• Bucket List Car

This is a good topic! Interesting stuff. I would have to agree that 'Oldies' are from the 50-60's era, although any music at least 25 years old could be seen as 'oldies'. I see anything from the 70's and even 80's as classic. But definitely not 'oldies'.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    They are now.
    K-EARTH is the decider.
    That you are not listening to The Sound (100.3) 24/7 is your second problem. Good music, the actual album cuts (Frampton's "Do you Feel...," all 14 minutes anyone?), sometimes cueing up LPs with the scratches (which I'd rather they didn't) to play a whole album side, actual DJs talking about the music they just played, etc.
    I would love to, unfortunately the amount of stations we get out here is not very much. I don't generally listen to K-Earth I just happened to not have any CD's available and all the other stations were on commercial.

• Happy Memories

Great discussion topic. I have to agree that, for me, Oldies are the songs from the 50s-60s era. For me it's a genre, but ultimately maybe it isn't. Maybe I just consider it so because that what was played on the "Oldies" radio stations when I used to listen to them with my mother at a younger age. I don't know if we even still have any of those stations now.

We had a station here that played all 80's music, but even they have expanded their playlist by adding the the early 90's to the mix.

I mostly don't bother with the radio though because they just play the same songs all the time and go to commercial too often. I prefer my ipod, upon which I can specify my music as any genre I feel it should be.

• Rock Star Minion

I would love to, unfortunately the amount of stations we get out here is not very much. I don't generally listen to K-Earth I just happened to not have any CD's available and all the other stations were on commercial.
    Where the heck are/were you?
    My wife can plug in her iPod into her car's stereo. My stereo has not completely broken yet, but when it does, I'll make sure it can plug in an iPod.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Thumbs down Re: What is considered an "Oldie"???

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    They are now.
    K-EARTH is the decider.
    Wow, thanks for the tip on The Sound 100.3, just wish you'd included a link to their site! KSWD 100.3 The Sound - All About The Music

I'm tuned into it and listening right now. Great music right off the bat.

You forgot to mention they brought back KMET the Mighty Met! KSWD 100.3 The Sound - All About The Music :: KMET

By the way, here's something you'll enjoy, since you brought up Frampton:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8"]YouTube - Peter Frampton Do You Feel Like We Do Midnight Special 1975 FULL[/ame]

As far as I'm concerned, an "oldie" is any song that was popular before you were conscious of music and began deciding what music you liked and which you didn't, and/or music that was popular before you were born. So an oldie to one person is not going to be an oldie to another person, and it will always be relative according to one's age.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Gregg, I'm a little late to the party - but thanks for the mention in the Original Post.

For those that may not know, my cousin is Brian Wilson, founder and creative genius behind the Beach Boys.

I was also cousins, obviously, with the late Dennis and Carl Wilson (the band's original drummer and lead guitarist).

This is quite a topic...I may be a little long-winded...I'll do my best not to be.

In 2001, a station in Ventura, CA where I worked...KVEN-AM...switched format from News-Talk to "AM 1450, the Boomer". (Referring to the baby boomer generation).

It was the "heart and soul or rock and roll". Lee Marshall, the Program Director and morning host, said he never wanted the word "oldies" to be used, because he didn't want to "date" the music by saying "well, let's go back to 1957 for this Buddy Holly classic"...His thought was, it's good music, we'll brand it as "the heart and soul of rock and roll". They mixed in quick baby boomer references like "soaring higher than your Beany and Cecil cap - we"re the Heart and Soul of Rock and Roll, 1450 the Boomer" - all sorts of things like that.

And for years , it did quite welll attracting a niche audience of upper-end baby boomers in their 50's and 60's, a demo thought to have more disposable incoime for things like high end cars and cruises and the like, and the station did OK financially too as a result.

The point being, to start with, that there are songs dating back to the swing era, World War Two and before - called "standards"....songs that have been covered many, many times to this day, part of what we call "The Great American Songbook". Heck, even one of the 60's great anthems, "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds, comes from the Bible.

Sorry folks, I'm just getting started and I haven't come close to answering the question really.

I'll be back.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Wow, thanks for the tip on The Sound 100.3, just wish you'd included a link to their site! KSWD 100.3 The Sound - All About The Music

I'm tuned into it and listening right now. Great music right off the bat.

You forgot to mention they brought back KMET the Mighty Met! KSWD 100.3 The Sound - All About The Music :: KMET
    You're welcome. Where I am, it doesn't come in very well in the car, but at night I'm usually listening to it over the PC. And whenever I venture into "the city" (from The Valley to South Orange County), I listen the whole time.
    The deep cuts are what I like, being more of an albumist at heart.

• Mischievous Mouse

Ok, this has me thinking about this subject way, WAY too much.

But I submit...

If it's not NEW......... and it's not OLD....

What do you call it?

Would that make anything not new....an oldie?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    To me, 50's & 60's music are "oldies". 70's is more of the "classic rock" era.
    This is pretty much how I interept music. When getting into the 80's: 80's rock is "80's rock", 80's pop is "80's pop", etc. With the 90's it gets a little more complicated because of sub-genres.

Smile Re: What is considered an "Oldie"???

Thank you for starting this post. I've had the same concern for Kearth as the newer (80's) music is more and more integrated into their playlist and the older music is harder to come by. If Kearth stops playing hits by groups such as the Marcels, Franki Valli, and the Edsels, where will we be able to find these classics on the dial? Kearth has a history of updating their music by decade. First it was the introduction of the 70's a while back, and now it appears to be the 80's. I have sent numerous emails voicing my concern, not against the updates, but to ensure that the variety is maintained. Currently, when they update their playlist, it seems the older numbers disappear into radio oblivion. I know it's not life or death, but it's important to maintain these "oldies" for the generations to come, so they can have an idea what good, well written music was like. And in case you all think I'm just a grumpy old man afraid of change, I'm only 23, so there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast