Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Rock Star Minion

Re: What is considered an "Oldie"???

Quote Originally Posted by villagecreator View Post
    Thank you for starting this post. I've had the same concern for Kearth as the newer (80's) music is more and more integrated into their playlist and the older music is harder to come by. If Kearth stops playing hits by groups such as the Marcels, Franki Valli, and the Edsels, where will we be able to find these classics on the dial? Kearth has a history of updating their music by decade. First it was the introduction of the 70's a while back, and now it appears to be the 80's. I have sent numerous emails voicing my concern, not against the updates, but to ensure that the variety is maintained. Currently, when they update their playlist, it seems the older numbers disappear into radio oblivion. I know it's not life or death, but it's important to maintain these "oldies" for the generations to come, so they can have an idea what good, well written music was like. And in case you all think I'm just a grumpy old man afraid of change, I'm only 23, so there!
    Even a grumpy old man can get an iPod and put whatever music he wants on it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Element of Laughter

To me, "Oldies" means stuff from the 50's through 1973-74, or even 1975-76 if cheesy enough. Heck, some 70's songs are so cheesy, they're good. As for K-Earth, I no longer listen to it, having lived in NorCal (Stockton) since January 2000, and was only able to listen to it whenever I ventured down to Disneyland, which I don't even listen to it then anymore, ever since I got XM back in the summer of 2005. (I really enjoy the decades channels, mostly listening to the 60's, 70's, and 80's, occasionally browsing the 90's channel. Each decade channel has its own thing, such as the 60's channel having jingles for certain artists, the 70's channel having the "Jukebox of Cheese", and the 80's channel being hosted by the original VJ's from MTV) As for what's considered an "Oldie", I think I have the Police beat. . . I remember listening to an "Oldies" station here in Stockton around 2003, and hearing "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. Since when is an 11 year old song considered an "Oldie"? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised nowadays to find music from last year being considered "Oldies", with the disposable nature of pop nowadays.(Another reason to listen to XM/Sirius, they have stations that play stuff that you won't hear on terrestrial radio)
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Hello again!

[quote=aimster;1055548752]To me, 50's & 60's music are "oldies". 70's is more of the "classic rock" era.
    QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I also have issue with the term Oldies when it comes to 80's music. To me the term oldies will always imply the 50's and 60's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    Great discussion topic. I have to agree that, for me, Oldies are the songs from the 50s-60s era. For me it's a genre, but ultimately maybe it isn't. Maybe I just consider it so because that what was played on the "Oldies" radio stations when I used to listen to them with my mother at a younger age. I don't know if we even still have any of those stations now.
    I think "Oldies" as it is used now is really a marketing term started in the 70s or 80s to refer to rock and roll up until the mid or late 60s. I'm just relying on my memory from when I was young which isn't very good. I would wager that they don't use the term much anymore because people don't want to think of themselves as "old"

• Banned User

To me, music from the '50's are Oldies. K-Earth is the oldies station and they used to play only oldies, but I guess since time is moving on and people are getting older, they play music from the '70's and '80's. The Police and Michael Jackson are definitely not oldies. I haven't heard anything good since the early '90's.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I also have issue with the term Oldies when it comes to 80's music. To me the term oldies will always imply the 50's and 60's.

the 50s and 60s are truly the real oldies. those are timeless songs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123