Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Re: New moon and your daughter

It's a Mary Sue? Oh LOL It explains so much now!!

I think I would present it to my child as a humorous work of fiction, not that any of the characters are worth emulating, but that they are just caricatures in some crazy lady's fantasy world.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Granted I don't have children so I can't speak for the moms out there, but I think it would depend on the maturity of the kid reading the books. As long as they can truly see that these characters are just that, then have at it. A lot of the fan girls out there are obsessed with Robert Pattinson because they neglect to realize that he is NOT Edward, is NOT a vampire, and is NOT going to sparkle in the sunlight. He's just a guy playing a part.

I'd be more worried about subjecting the kids to Kristen Stewart's acting.
    But she does the weepy doe eyed look so well!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I actually thought about this today. I picked my daughter up from elementary school...and saw a young girl...probably around 9, with a Twilight backpack. I just kinda stared for a moment. Wondering what parent would let a 9 yr old read or even watch something of that content.

I think anything above.....say....12....would be okay. At that age, I was reading Stephen King. I turned out semi normal.
    You also have to remember that young girl may have been emulating her older sibling. My 9 yr old loves Twilight but has never read the series. Why? Because her 13 yr old sister loves the series (and has read it).

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It depends on how old your daughter is.

Mine was 12 when she wanted to read the books. We weren't sure so I read them first and deemed that they were okay for her to read. Surprisingly, I enjoyed them too.
    HAHA! No comment. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune Cookie View Post
    As with all decisions regarding children... some things just depend on the child. I know 9 year olds that I swear were born with the common sense of a 30 year old! I also know a 13 year old who still needs her mother to make her a sandwich... and no it is not that she wants to be waited on. I think she would actually starve in house alone with a fridge full of food cuz she is clueless!

I think you should relay on your judgement in deciding if that is an appropriate book for her to read. I'm sure you know her best! ;-)
    ^This one. Sums it up completely. It's all about the child and their maturity level to handle something. Heck, I've seen 30 yr old adults that couldn't handle any kind of stress if they tried.

interesting.

I am hoping she is much older when she has this baby...
    interesting. Doesn't seem to be a book full of very many positives messages.

Nope, but this is where teaching your child about what is real and what is fiction becomes important. We can't protect our children from the boogie man if we don't explain to them what the boogie man is and what steps to take to save themselves should they run into him.

I feel better knowing my daughter can kick the boogie man's butt if she's backed in to a corner, rather than letting the situation turn ugly because she wasn't prepared for the fight.

• Time tells the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Ok so... what is a Mary Sue?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Heck, I've seen 30 yr old adults that couldn't handle any kind of stress if they tried.
    Hmmm... I think we may know some the same people!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    My friend and I had this long conversation about how after the fourth book it was really clear. If you look at her descriptions for Bella and how author (Meyer) look. Once she became a vampire the descriptions match up. Pale, full lips, big eyes, etc. And if you look at her ideal cast when she was writing the books (before the movies) she said people like Emily Browning, who looks exactly like her. She wrote Edward for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortune Cookie View Post
    Ok so... what is a Mary Sue?? LOL

Hmmm... I think we may know some the same people!
    Mary Sue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's when the writer basically writes themselves into the book. So say you like tall, dark, and brooding men, you may (even by accident) write something where a version of you is the main character and just happens to fall in love with the main male lead. But it's you with no flaws.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    It's when the writer basically writes themselves into the book. So say you like tall, dark, and brooding men, you may (even by accident) write something where a version of you is the main character and just happens to fall in love with the main male lead. But it's you with no flaws.
    Thank you! I had no idea what a Mary Sue was.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• I'm not really here

I would absolutely let a daughter, or son for that matter, read these books. Bella is a complete idiot throughout most of the books. Edward is a messed up and, at times, abusive guy. They are exaggerated caricatures of people. How many times do you see girls clinging to the guy that doesn't treat them the way they deserve to be treated? It happens all the time, especially with teenagers and all the drama they bring to the game. The book really exaggerates that and amplifies it to make it stand out. Hence all the Bella whining throughout the entire series. Hence her absolute stubborn refusal to use her head. Hence Edward's stubborn refusal to admit that someone might actually love him for who he is. (Despite this "glowing" review, I actually do like the books. Being the huge Dracula fan that I am, it was fun to see how well Stephanie Meyer was able to take the traditional vampiric lore and explain it, make it very plausible.) To get all Disney on you guys , Dory says it best: "Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo." This quote really drives the whole movie. It's about letting children grow up and experience the world, including the negative and bad things, with our guidance instead of our absolute protection. As a parent you want to protect your kids from every possible bad thing out there, but you can't do that without keeping them sealed in a vault. They're going to make bad decisions, but hopefully you've taught them well enough that they'll avoid most of those, and just like all of us, those bad decisions will help them grow and with the advice, help and love of their parents, they'll make it through and learn and turn out to be pretty darn ok people, just as we all did thanks to our parents.

Quote Originally Posted by winder*wonder View Post
    i only say this hypothetically... i know girls who thougth the same thing...but then there are others who try to live in that kind of fantasy. im not trying to insult at all, it was just something i was thinking about and wanted to hear other opinions.
    This is what parents are for. Parents guide their children through decisions about life. They teach their children the difference between fiction and reality, right and wrong. They teach their children how to live a healthy life, and emulating Bella would definitely not be a healthy life. After "Where the Wild Things Are" came out, one girl went home and bit her Mom and tried to run away. The parents blamed the movie for this. Yet there are kids out there who play first person shooter videos games and don't go out and blow people away afterwards. The difference? Parenting. Kids of all ages will test the boundaries and try to flex their own decision making muscles. The job of a parent is to teach, show and help them to make responsible, good decisions. In the example of the movie, the parents blame the movie when it was the daughter's choice to do what she did (regardless of age). In the 2nd example, the parents make sure that the child knows the difference between a game and reality. As we grow we see and encounter all kinds of negative things in this world and our reactions to these things are largely determined by how we were raised, not just the things our parents taught us, but also the passive things we see them do and react to.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I actually found a lot of Bella's mannerisms, annoying as they are, to be pretty spot on. Teenage girls can be the height of dramatic, self-centered, awkward, narcissistic, vapid behavior. (Not intended to insult any teens here, I promise).
    Great words there! Vapid is so perfect. She really did capture teenagers pretty perfectly. It's so funny looking back at my own life and wondering why I put myself through so much drama when life is so much easier and simpler than all that. It's funny to see kids now thinking the same way I did back then, convinced that no one could possibly understand what they are going through.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    It would seem Ms Myers may have read the vampire diaries....they are very similar with just a few differences. I think she had her dream about the field after reading the other authors book...JMO though.
    She also must have watched the TV show Roswell -- it is exactly like Twilight but with aliens instead of vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    Thank you! I had no idea what a Mary Sue was.
    I didn't know what it was either; learn something new every day!

• Time tells the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post

Interesting... Thanks!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Lurch! That's who Edward reminds me of.

Sorry, just had an epiphany.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    She also must have watched the TV show Roswell -- it is exactly like Twilight but with aliens instead of vampires.

I didn't know what it was either; learn something new every day!
    Dude... Roswell that brings back college, the first time around.

Once again there's a reason why I'm Team Jacob. Although even in the last book Team Jacob got creepy (maybe Team Embry? Team Seth? Even though Seth is a kid. How about Team Leah, but not paired with Bella. Just "Leah Rox!").

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Thanks for explaining what a Mary Sue is! I had no idea. Y'know she'd never actually been to Forks, WA when she wrote the books? Just picked it off of a map. Inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    But she does the weepy doe eyed look so well!
    A weepy mouth-breathing doe that I'd like to sick Bambi's mom's killer on. Ooft! Too bad it couldn't have been Evan Rachel Wood in that role, she'd have brought some likability to the character. Looking forward to Dakota Fanning's interpretation of Jane, though!

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    Oh Roswell! That was my all-time favorite show as a freshman in high school. But Max wasn't abusive/controlling/a pedophile to Liz. Though he did cheat on her with Tess, and knocked up that home-wrecker royal alien. I miss those glowing hickeys!

And Jacob is too good for Bella, IMHO.

I never got through/past the third book...I'm glad I read the ending in this thread. I can't believe that's actually the characters end up! It seems to be the consensus that these books can be read by kidlets as long as they understand that it's fiction. There are certainly life lessons to be learned in the series...interesting that your abusive relationship bookmark should end up in that book, KnittingKnerd!! Makes you wonder what happened in Stephenie Meyer's life...

• My cuties!

The brother of a friend of mine is engaged to the mom of the actor who played Max.

I didn't watch Roswell until just last year when a friend said it was like Twilight.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Aww Mama Behr is gettin' hitched! Awesome.

• My cuties!

• no flash photography...

The actor who portrays him is not even that good looking...or maybe he's just not my type.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast