Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Adam Lambert AMA performance Controversey

**Disclaimer** This is a controversial subject and will be moved to the debate lounge if necessary!!!

Did anybody catch the performance on the AMA's the other night? It was the only thing I saw and I thought it was great. I didn't particularly care for the song, but I LOVED the "shock" of it, although I wasn't shocked at all.

Already Good Morning America has cancelled his concert because of this. IMO, this is 100% discrimination. So he kissed a guy. Uhm, Madonna, Brittney and Christina were making out YEARS ago and nobody seemed to have a problem with that.

Is it because it was 2 guys?

Here is a link to the latest about it:

Adam Lambert fallout begins, but album soars - Yahoo! News

And what Adam has to say.

He told Rolling Stone magazine that his act was no different from erotically-charged music videos and stage shows by female singers like Madonna and Lady GaGa "but the minute a man does it, everybody freaks out".
    I have to agree

Good luck finding the video online.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Adam Lambert AMA performance Controversey

Here's a link that still works...for now...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulhy_8wmrvM]YouTube - Adam Lambert AMA Performance HD[/ame]

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Already Good Morning America has cancelled his concert because of this. IMO, this is 100% discrimination. So he kissed a guy. Uhm, Madonna, Brittney and Christina were making out YEARS ago and nobody seemed to have a problem with that.
    Actually, a lot of people did have a problem with Madonna and Britney Spears locking lips in that 2003 show. It generated a storm of controversy. Of course, it wasn't quite as raunchy as Lambert's performance. There were no faces being shoved into crotches, as far as I can recall, in the Madonna act.

But you are right that part of the reason the reaction is harsher is because it was gay men, as opposed to straight women pretending to be lesbians. The public, as a whole, is more quickly turned off by gay men getting raunchy than it is by hot lesbians (even more so with hot faux lesbians) getting raunchy, and the entertainment business blatantly discriminates on the basis of what people will and will not want to watch. Lambert alienated a lot of valuable viewers by pushing the envelope. The result will probably be a smaller, but more devoted following. That's not a formula for all venues.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

• Circle of Ancients

I wonder if he was straight if there would be such controversy.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If he ditched those stupid ear rings and the eye makeup and rooster hair gel set, well it would have gone over better on me.

• Banned User

Being gay myself, I thought that performance was horrible! I mean come on, show some class. I get your gay and all, but do you really have to shove it into our faces(literally lol). I didn't even know it was a dude he kissed until I read comments LOL. I thought it was a woman! But still that performance was just BAD BAD BAD! I was very tempted to just turn it off cause my ears were on the verge of bleeding! Nice try, but no, just no.

• Circle of Ancients

For the record, I didn't care for the song or the performance. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to do it.

• Banned User

For the record, I didn't care for the song or the performance. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to do it.
    I also don't think he should be discriminated either. I think it's very hypocritical myself, I just didn't care for the performace either. Maybe I'd be more passionate about defending him if he actually gave a good performance, but it was just too bad for people to ignore the fact that kissed a man and now everyone's going crazy over it. Why is it ok if girls do it? But when guys do it, all hell breaks loose!

• WDW CP Spring 2013

I feel as an artisit should have the freedom to display their art in any way, however I feel that there was no artistic merit in Lambert's performance. I felt that he was being vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. He has a great voice and he needed to display that more, rather then all these theatrics. I understand he's trying to establish himself as a performer, but he could have went about it better.
    Last edited by Indiana_James; 11-26-2009 at 02:15 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I wonder if he showed talent if there would be such controversy.
    ftfy

• Off to Neverland

I found the the performance no more vulgar than what we've seen from Madonna, Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears during live award shows.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I couldn't tell whether that was a guy or a girl he kissed. But either way I don't care.

I am not the biggest Adam Lambert fan anyway. It doesn't matter if it is hard rock or a ballad. The way he sings it, it all sounds the same anyways.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Where's the outrage over Adam grabbing the female pole dancers crotch?

The performance was pretty good, overall. And I'm not even a glam rock fan. Although there were a couple parts of his perfomance that needed to be a little more convincing/rehearsal, but I see the direction he was trying to going, and he pretty much pulled it off. I'd be interested in knowing who did the choreography for that little number, and just how much of an influence Adam had in it.

Haven't seen much of him sing, as I really don't watch American Idol, so it's difficult form an opinion based on just one song. Certainly many people were expecting him to be "sweet", so he just made the lyrics come to life with performance. And who really DOESN'T expect a few surprises like this, especially with a music awards program.

The look of part of it reminded me of Cabaret, and just how many decades old is that now? What's more surprising to me, is HOW surprised all the reactions to this are and for it to be such a big news story! For that alone, Adam did his job at the American Music Awards.

• Animation Domination

I think this performance was all planned out by Adam.
    It was just a performance to get his 15 minutes of fame back.
    I don't see anything wrong with a man kissing another man.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Infinitized!

So he kissed a guy. Uhm, Madonna, Brittney and Christina were making out YEARS ago and nobody seemed to have a problem with that.
    Either way, I don't really give a hoot. Madonna had Britney and Christina. Maybe Adam could've made it work if he had Boy George and George Michael up on stage with him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast