• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Anne Frank diary guardian Miep Gies dies aged 100

Anne Frank diary guardian Miep Gies dies aged 100

BBC News - Anne Frank diary guardian Miep Gies dies aged 100

Miep Gies changed the world by saving Anne Frank's diary. Thank you, Miep, rest in peace.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Anne Frank diary guardian Miep Gies dies aged 100

Thank you for posting this, I noted this yesterday but didn't have the chance to put it up on the boards. I once was lucky to see Ms. Gies speak in nearby Pueblo, Colorado. She was mesmorizing. I often wonder if I could have the fortitude to do what she had done.

Rest in peace, Ms. Gies.

Peace to all,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• is poppin' tags

I was captivated by the book. But did anyone else get a weird Freudian notion about Anne and her commentary on her father? I certainly did, but maybe I'm weird.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Virginia School Pulls 'Diary Of Ann Frank'

Apparently, Anne’s father, Otto Frank, the sole survivor of the “Secret Annex,” felt the need to censor his daughter’s most intimate thoughts as well, eliminating about 30 percent of the original diary published in 1947.

He omitted parts where Anne criticized her mother and other Jews living in the confined quarters as well as some sexually suggestive references.

However, during the 50th anniversary of her death in a concentration camp, the Anne Frank Foundation published the unedited definitive version in 1995.

Sometimes dubbed controversial, this book has been translated into more than 50 languages — an English version in 1952, and transformed into a play and several movie versions.

The diary, which Anne received on her 13th birthday, chronicles the teenager’s life from July 1942 until she was arrested in August 1944. It is considered the most widely read literary composition about Holocaust victims.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Citing A parent's concern. Singular. So, an entire school is denied something as a piece of history so ONE parent isn't insulted. Give that kid the edited book, the others the open book. They can than still converge and talk together about the important topics the book has.

Sad, really.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend