• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Legendary Author J.D. Salinger - "Catcher In the Rye" - Dies at 91

To say that it's one of the most important books in the history of American literature is still an understatement, it seems to me.

From the yahoo news article....

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Reclusive author J.D. Salinger, who has died aged 91, was a giant of American literature whose seminal novel "The Catcher in the Rye" lent a voice to the angst and despair of generations of rebellious adolescents.
    One of the most admired and influential US writers following the success of his 1951 novel and its laconic anti-hero Holden Caulfield, Salinger published nothing after 1965 and had not been interviewed since 1980.
    Salinger died Wednesday at his home in New Hampshire from natural causes, the Harold Ober Associates agency said Thursday.
    Mystery surrounded much of the last five decades of his life. After being overwhelmed by his new fame, Salinger withdrew from public life, retreating to his house perched on a tree-blanketed hill in the small town of Cornish, New Hampshire.
    Memoirs written by his daughter and a former lover affirmed that Salinger still wrote, but there has been no sign of any new book despite the entreaties of his legions of fans.
    Indeed in a rare interview with the Boston Sunday Globe in 1980, Salinger said: "I love to write, and I assure you I write regularly. But I write for myself and I want to be left absolutely alone to do it."
    I forget when it was in my schooling that I first became aware of the iconic figure of the book, Holden Caulfield. But reading that boiok was one of the best things I was ever asked to do in school, and it shames me to think that there were, and maybe still are, school boards in this country who don't want their students to read it.

Here's a clip from the PBS Lehrer News hour.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8qhyJkS4Y"]YouTube - J.D. Salinger, Reclusive Literary Icon, Dies at 91[/ame]

I'll bet Barnes and Noble, etc. has had a run on their copies of "Catcher" today. If I can't find mine, I'll be looking for one tomorrow. Time for a re-read.

RIP to one of America's great, if indeed not the most public, writers.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Storyteller

Re: Legendary Author J.D. Salinger - "Catcher In the Rye" - Dies at 91

Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books. He will not be forgotten.