Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Lady Gaga

• Banned User

Re: Lady Gaga

Well, it is a small world after all, Lady Gaga (Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta) and Madonna (Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone) are really related. They are actually distant cousins, they’re ninth cousins.

Lady Gaga and Madonna Are Related

May 15, 2011 02:25 PM EDT
    comments: 1
    Could Lady Gaga and Madonna share some kind of special gene that has helped them both become pop music queens?

Well, there probably isn't any such thing as a gene that carries a love of using Catholic imagery in music videos and dressing in crazy clothes, but Gaga and Madonna are related. According to a genealogist, the ambitious blondes with millions of fans are very distant cousins (ninth cousins once removed, to be exact).

So it seems that the two share more in common than the similar-sounding songs "Express Yourself" and "Born This Way" and their love of using crosses for fashion accessories -- they also have some common ancestors (some of which had to be devout divas!).

And perhaps it's fitting that Lady Gaga is releasing her songs from the album "Born This Way" on FarmVille -- the ancestors that connect her and Madonna as cousins are a farming couple that came to Quebec from France in the 1600s (so maybe she feels a special connect to sheep as well as motorcycles).

But Gaga isn't the only blonde artist with a wild sense of style that Madonna is related to -- she also shares ancestry with Gwen Stefani. The No Doubt frontwoman's singing style might not be as similar to Madonna's as Lady Gaga's is, but she used to also draw comparisons to the material girl because of her fun and funky fashion sense and platinum locks.

So will Lady Gaga be happy to know that she's a distant cousin of Madonna, or will the connection make her even more exasperated over the constant Madonna comparisons she's currently dealing with? It's hard to say how the unpredictable star will handle the news, but when it comes to a connection through ancestry, there's not much she can do -- Lady Gaga and Madonna were simply "Born This Way."
    Source: Lady Gaga and Madonna Are Related | Gather

• Banned User

Gaga's album has been leaked, sharing the link:
    Lady Gaga “Born This Way” New Album FULL
    or
    zSHARE - LG BTW.zip - Free File Hosting Service | Audio and Video Sharing | Image Uploading | Web storage
    Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' Album Leaks

May 17, 2011 10:15 PM EDT

It is confirmed that Lady Gaga's Born This Way album has leaked online. The leak reportedly occurred today, although portions of songs have been in circulation over the past few months. Gaga has run into multiple problems with piracy relating to the upcoming album.

Second single Judas saw the premiere of its video intercepted by an online leak that led Lady Gaga to decry the theft in a profane Twitter post (later removed). It appears the leak also affected the form in which the video was released, as plans to premiere two versions of the video were scrapped. The long version has yet to surface at all.

In a clever move, Lady Gaga has been releasing multiple songs via social networking and iTunes, with Marry the Night premiering on Facebook's "Farmville" today. She is expected to release more songs over the coming days in anticipation for the official album release.

Music piracy has become an increasingly problematic issue as entertainment news sources are contributing to the piracy by providing links and information to pirated material. Such links will not be found in this article.

Good music requires funding, and stealing cuts off basic revenue sources for distributors to get good music to eager customers. In short: Pirating suffocates the music industry. Stop biting the hand that feeds if continued good music is of any concern.
    Source: http://entertainment.gather.com/view...81474979337394
    Last edited by JMora; 05-17-2011 at 06:43 PM.

• Banned User

Reviews...
    Review—Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’ is more ‘American Life’ than ‘Like a Prayer’

May 17th, 2011 2:48 pm CT
    Peter Buchanan
    Listeners on Chicago’s B96 can hear tracks from Lady Gaga’s new album Born This Way all weekend. However, based on an early listen to the album, they may want to skip out. Born This Way is the worst album by a major superstar since Madonna unleashed American Life almost a decade ago. At least Madonna didn’t describe her album as the album of the decade.

The main problem with Born This Way is that Lady Gaga tries too hard to emulate Madonna, but it comes across more desperate than as a tribute. The title single is the poor man’s version of “Express Yourself,” but without the soulful vocals and the irony. Lady Gaga tries to make herself the queen of gay rights, but comes across as someone who is exploiting gays rather than helping them. It doesn’t help that she is using racist terminology by referring to Hispanics as “Cholas” and Asians as “Orients.”
    “Judas” will remind some people of “Like a Prayer.” The music isn’t the same, but the concept of comparing a lover to a “higher power” is still there. However, “Like a Prayer” is a classic, while “Judas” sounds like a bad parody of Lady Gaga’s much better songs.

“You and I” recalls Madonna’s 1992 ballad “In this Life,” which was about friends lost to AIDS. A song like this was groundbreaking and risky in 1992, but not so much in 2011. Even worse, the song sounds contrived and insincere, as if Gaga’s marketing team is holding a gun to her head and forcing her to sing the song. It’s all about the “gay “dollars and sadly, some are falling for it.
    Advertisement

When Lady Gaga isn’t ripping off Madonna, she is trying to recycle other artists’ work. “Edge of Glory,” with lyrics that sound like they were written by a loser of a 1st grade poetry contest, sounds strangely similar to Cher’s “Song for the Lonely” and Kelly Clarkson’s “My Life Would Suck Without You.” The song might have worked as a Cher parody, but Lady Gaga lacks the vocal power to pull it off.

In “Hair,” Lady Gaga tries to be groundbreaking and thought provoking by declaring “I am my hair.” It sounds like a throwaway track from Bruce Springsteen’s Tunnel of Love days mixed with a generic 80s dance beat. It is one of the worse tracks from an album that is already bad enough.

There are some standout songs here. “Government Hooker” recalls New Order’s “True Faith,” but not in a bad way. “Marry The Night” is enjoyable, even though it is a little self-absorbed. “Americano” may have cliché lyrics, but the Lou Bega type beat makes you forget about the lyrics.

Lady Gaga can wear meat dresses, Madonna outfits, lobster hats, and penis shoes all she likes.
    However, it won’t cover up for the fact that Born This Way is dead on arrival.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Review—Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’ is more ‘American Life’ than ‘Like a Prayer’ - Chicago Pop Music | Examiner.com Review
    Source: Review

Album Review: Lady Gaga, 'Born This Way'

Gaga doesn’t know when to hold back – and it’s a damn good thing

Hype’ is a disgusting word. But when an album, which was a self-declared phenomenon before it was even an album, appears to be an experiment in hype itself, it becomes an unavoidable part of the conversation. There’s been a suspicion in the epic run-up to the release of Lady Gaga's second-and-a-half album that she’s just been being deliberately ridiculous just to piss people off. But then, having a go at a pop star for being ridiculous is in itself as ridiculous as having a go at a brain surgeon for being too hung up on all the neurosurgery.

There’s another possibility here though. In our man Peter Robinson’s (rather amazing) cover feature the other week, she expressed genuine surprise that people found ‘Born This Way’ the song something of an ‘Express Yourself’ parody. The suggestion actually moved her to tears. It’s in the nature of artists to miss the blindingly obvious about their own work.

But for the entire world to have the exact same instantaneous reaction, to the point where the words ‘Express Yourself’ began trending on Twitter, suggests that comparison holds water. You’d think somebody – somebody – in her team could have noticed. It’s just possible that Gaga is now such a powerful entity that everybody was just too scared of losing their jobs to point it out.

It would certainly bear out the chain of events that led to that appalling, badly-photoshopped mess of a cover image getting signed off. And if that’s the case then we really are in new territory for mainstream pop music, where somebody at the absolute peak of commercial heaviosity is able to operate with the artistic imperative of a David Bowie without an iota of outside interference. What you definitely cannot fault about this album is the scale of its artistic ambition.

One thing that much-debated 'Born This Way' album cover does get right is the record’s obsession with the fusion of flesh and metal. As if Gaga, having already (in her own head at least) fused herself with her fanbase to create a singular entity, she wants to weld physically to her synthesisers as if to create one all-powerful dreadnought of self-empowerment. For the most part this is one relentless torrent of heavy-metal-rave-pop. At the very least it’s a triumph in sound engineering.

‘Hair’ is an empowerment anthem using the simple image of the wind blowing through a person’s hair to illuminate the album’s Love-Yourself-And-Let-It-All-Hang-Out message way more effectively than the title track. It trumps it once again by being quite the gayest thing you will ever hear for a long time. On the same tip is ‘Bad Kids’, a homage to the NYC club kids era, hammering home the freak message to the Little Monsters, but with a chorus that is adorable instantly and forever.

‘Bloody Mary’ is a serene flipside to ‘Judas’ this time using Ms Magdalene to do much the same job, as dainty plucked strings careen around filthy beats to create something weirdly graceful. And ‘Americano’, a Hispanic upgrade of ‘Alejandro’ which riffs on both Evita and Santa Esmerelda’s ‘Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood’, succeeds because it is so colourfully deranged. Elsewhere the sci-fi goth night-stalk ‘Electric Chapel’ perhaps nails the record’s blood-and-chrome aesthetics most effectively of all.

Things get rather knottier when the beats drop heavier. ‘Schei?e’, which channels Miss Kittin doing a rave take on Madonna’s ‘Erotica’ strides into a commanding pop song and comes out a triumph. ‘Government Hooker’ drops down into freeform industrial techno impressively early on in the tracklist, but there’s scant evidence of any real political message in lines like “Put your hands on me, John F Kennedy”. And ‘Heavy Metal Lover’s staccato filth-fest is impressively murky but the relentless smut ends up sounding daft. The ostentatious ‘Highway Unicorn (Road To Love)’ aims for some kind of weird chamber-rave-metal-concerto yet comes out a total mess.

But then at the end, something spectacular happens. Skynet is given a rest and it emerges again that when Gaga does do pure emotion, she does it exceptionally well. ‘You And I’ is a quite epic exercise in futurist honky-tonk, apparently directed to a lesbian lover or a drag queen. And finally, the gleaming ‘The Edge Of Glory’ (apparently a love song to her late grandfather, yet with a romantic twist) finds her dancing “On the edge of something final we call life tonight” in the most ecstatic pop serenade this woman has ever come up with.

That beautiful simplicity reminds us that Lady Gaga can be guilty of trying too hard. But do you really think that’s wrong? ‘Born This Way’ doesn’t get everything right. It’s not the clarion to the dispossessed that it thinks it is. And after pushing so hard in this direction, she should probably strip it back to just her and a piano next time if she really wants to shock. Because rather than an exercise in hype, what ‘Born This Way’ really is an exercise in the pushing of everything to its ultimate degree. And for all the black, white and silver, it passes that test with flying colours. Dan Martin
    Lady Gaga - Album Review: Lady Gaga, 'Born This Way' - Album Reviews - NME.COM

For me, I fully enjoyed...

The most stand out track for me, has that very raw underground NYC gay or after hours club vibe. It has that industrial techno sound that one will hear at the Eagle bar or the defunct Sound Factory club. Though at times I wish she didn't sing on it besides the chorus because the beat is the main star here.
    Last edited by JMora; 05-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

The guy who wrote the "Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’ is more ‘American Life’ than ‘Like a Prayer’" was only judging the album based on the released songs. (Before the leak.) Plus, he is biased towards Madonna because he is her fan.

But my favorite songs on the album are Marry The Night, Born This Way, Judas, Electric Chapel, and Bloody Mary.

My least faves are Government Hooker and Heavy Metal Lover.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Banned User

What we already knew!!! Lady Gaga's creative director comes clean on Gaga being a Madonna wannabe.

No, Really Laurieann Gibson? As If We Didn't Know.

Lady Gaga's choreographer (ha!) and creative (ha!) director, the vitriolic Laurieann Gibson, comes clean. I don't get it though - the movement represents Madonna wannabe-ism? That's been going on since Madonna's inception. But don't get too smug, Gibson - you two will have to pay the piper one day.

LA Times: A lot of her visual aesthetics have been compared to Madonna. As her creative director what are your thoughts on that?

Laurieann Gibson: Listen, [Madonna] should be bitter because I did it on purpose, and you can quote me. I did it on purpose because for all those kids who believe that you can’t, I wanted to let them feel that you can. And that’s what I represent, that’s what Gags represents. That’s what this movement represents.

Los Angeles Times article HERE

Source: Laurieann Gibson puts Lady Gaga and other stars in step | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

• Banned User

Few words...

It’s a love/hate relationship with Lady Gaga, and me. I am a huge music audiophile, was a store artist for Tower Records for years, music is my soundtrack in life, and my first concert was Kool & the Gang. Being that I’m 32, and grew up with Michael Jackson/Madonna/Janet. Those are tough acts to follow. PERIOD! First impressions make all the difference here. ‘The Fame’ album I really embraced because Gaga was bringing back electronic/dance music to the mainstream audience, that has not been embraced by the public since the year 2000 (Amber, Madison Ave, Sonique, Veronica, Eiffel 65, Madonna, Wamdue Project, etc) on the radio!

By her so called second album, she proved she had staying power, Telephone was her strongest track but guess what, she had 5 other writers (Rodney Jerkins, LaShawn Daniels, Beyoncé Knowles, Lazonate Franklin) for that jam. By the time Born This Way album hit the net, check out how many high-end people she had in her party to help make this album. She’s either playing it safe or knows how to write a check. Listen to the medleys from most of the tracks from her latest effort. They sound like great 80s jams from the past. Just Katy Perry’s E.T. melody, it’s t.A.T.u. “All the Things She said, Timbaland might as well produced Gaga’s latest album.

We all know Madonna play’s with us, just like Gaga but at least with Madonna, she made it fresh. When I watch Judas music video, I think of Janet’s 'Escapade' music video, with Born This Way, Alien meets the Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion on meth come to mind. But as any artist would say today, we ALL know, NOTHING is original, ANYMORE.

As for Gaga’s creative director, Laurieann Gibsonfor, for a black woman, she should be very embarrassed. For a person of background with a culture of rhythm, she can’t dance to save her life!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    The guy who wrote the "Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’ is more ‘American Life’ than ‘Like a Prayer’" was only judging the album based on the released songs. (Before the leak.) Plus, he is biased towards Madonna because he is her fan.

But my favorite songs on the album are Marry The Night, Born This Way, Judas, Electric Chapel, and Bloody Mary.

My least faves are Government Hooker and Heavy Metal Lover.
    You point out the most characteristic sounds that make Gaga unoriginal. While the rest is most truly unoriginal! Born This Way is Madonna's 'Express 'Yourself' for this generation, while 'Judas' is Janet's 'Escapade' having intercourse with Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' on a meth binge. Americano is today's Isla bonita, etc.

Your dislikes of her tracks are the highest marks of her album. Remember, she acts DIFFERENT and from NYC. So, if she wants to prove she is... Goverment Hooker proves she is DIFFERENT. It's industrial & raw! Ever been to a seedy bar in NYC, or a seedy bar where sex actually occurs?

Really the rest of her album is POP safety but GOV Hooker really reminds us of the true seedy New York where she loved to PARTY with...

Keep in mind, Gaga is night shy of doing HARD drugs. She had a connection with party promoter Michael Alig.
    Last edited by JMora; 05-18-2011 at 12:57 AM.

• Banned User

Amo esta canción!!! "Los canciones son dolores revolucion Liberacion, mi paraiso Mi generecion If you love me We can marry On the West Coast On a wednesday En el verano en agosto" The mariachi version will be on the single album!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHvO...embedded#at=75

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    You point out the most characteristic sounds that make Gaga unoriginal. While the rest is most truly unoriginal! Born This Way is Madonna's 'Express 'Yourself' for this generation, while 'Judas' is Janet's 'Escapade' having intercourse with Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' on a meth binge. Americano is today's Isla bonita, etc.

Your dislikes of her tracks are the highest marks of her album. Remember, she acts DIFFERENT and from NYC. So, if she wants to prove she is... Goverment Hooker proves she is DIFFERENT. It's industrial & raw! Ever been to a seedy bar in NYC, or a seedy bar where sex actually occurs?

Really the rest of her album is POP safety but GOV Hooker really reminds us of the true seedy New York where she loved to PARTY with...

Keep in mind, Gaga is night shy of doing HARD drugs. She had a connection with party promoter Michael Alig.
    It took me a day or two, but I absolutely LOVE Heavy Metal Lover now. But I'm getting used to Government Hooker. I only like the chorus though.
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Future Disney Imagineer

So any favorites and least favorites on the album? My least favorite songs from her are The Queen(because it sounds too much like Hair and Edge of Glory, but worse than both), and Black Jesus: Amen Fashion, because it's boring and just sucks IMO. Fortunately, Amen Jesus is the ONLY song from her that I don't like from her, including all of her released and unreleased songs.

Overall though, I'm loving the album

Whaaaaaat? I LOVE "The Queen." It's one of my faves. lol

• Banned User

(Yawn)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011