Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Do You/Would You let your kids listen to music with "bad" words?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Music with lyrics that contain bad words is not music.

People who write music with bad words are not musicians. They are lyricists and should be writing poetry instead.

The first three movements of Beethoven's 5th Symphony is about his impending deafness and the anxiety and fear that he had struggling with this. The fourth movement resolves this struggle with the realization that he will be able to conquer this fear. All of this is expressed without a single word. Perhaps this composition was cathartic for him and enabled him to compose despite his disability. By the time he wrote the 9th Symphony he was totally deaf.

What I am trying to say is that music expresses emotions that cannot be felt by words alone. If a musician cannot write a song without including bad words then they have no idea what music is and the power that this form of art has the capability of acheiving. The music should be able to express their emotion without them having to actually say it by using foul language.
    Music with bad words is music you don't like. I can picture your ancestors 300 years ago saying classical music was ruining the youth of Europe. Honesty David, if you believe these thoughts something's a bit off.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

I'm AOK with it. My kids aren't going to hear anything thru their iPODs that they wouldn't hear in our house.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

1. First off, I was born an Irishman and have the mouth to prove it. I know, I know, surprise, surprise, but I have to constantly keep it in check. And I dont' use it out of anger or anything. I pepper my conversation with choice words and frequently, I catch listeners taking a step back--and over the years, I've learned to just keep it in check. Just don't urke me. I believe that language should be open, and swearing is part of that.

2. I've actually been asked this question by several parents as a teacher. Being a special education teacher, this is not out of the ordinary. My first response? If you're mature about it with your kids, they'll respond in kind. When they hear your take, whatever that is, and expect them to respect it, they'll be fine. "I don't like you repeating the words you hear on the radio. It's not appropriate BECAUSE...." It can't be, 'because I said so.'

3. Depends on the student too. I have kids who can't handle it, period. Feel free to avoid it. But this counts on, again, the parents' ability and comfort with communicate with their own children and understand their concepts of the world around them. Many parents don't sign with their own Deaf kids, for example. If you can't talk to them, you can't communicate your limits and you're asking for trouble.

4. Kids read parents nonverbals more than the verbals. When a parent hears a bad word and then reacts in a negative manner, their kids will tack a value onto the language that it 'gets your goat.' From then on, they'll lovingly use it again when they least should. However, if you respond without emotion? They'll believe it has no relevancy and use it without thinking. If you respond with an intelligent answer? Like mentioned..."Hmm, that was a bad word, do you know what it means?" and show them you respect them--well you'll be good to go.

Sorry for such a long answer, but that's my clinical experience talking.

Me? I love language and if no kids are around? I swear like a sailor. And when my family is together? Think of Brooklyn.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    So

Pink Floyd ... not music?
    AC/DC ... not music?
    Johnny Cash ... not music?
    Beastie Boys ... not music?
    Dave Matthews Band ... not music?
    Guns N Roses ... not music?
    John Mayer ... not music?
    Metallica ... not music?
    Radiohead ... not music?
    Smashing Pumpkins ... not music?
    Soundgarden ... not music?
    U2 ... not music?

All have had at least one song with a "Bad Word" in it.

I'm sure there are more including probably some music that you like that contains bad words, unless all you listen to is classical music.
    I do have aome of those on my iPod. And I guess I went a little overboard by stating that people who write music with bad words are not musicians.

However I also believe that good music doesn't have to rely on bad words to convey the meaning of the song. The music and the lyrics complement each other, and where a bad word might be inappropriate, someone who knows music should be able to describe whatever it is they are trying to express musically instead.

I happen to believe strongly in the power of wordless music to convey feelings, moods, or to tell stories. This really has nothing to do with good words or bad words. It's just amazing that music can do that. So why put in bad words to distract from the power of the music?

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Music with bad words is music you don't like. I can picture your ancestors 300 years ago saying classical music was ruining the youth of Europe. Honesty David, if you believe these thoughts something's a bit off.
    I'm not talking about ruining youth, I'm talking about the use of bad words as ruining music.

The use of the bad word forces the listener to ignore the music and to pay attention to the words. Then why bother putting the entire lyrics to music at all if music has no longer has the power to enhance or compliment the lyrics?

This is what this is all about to me.

Clinks, you are a fantastic father!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I guess I should delete "Cherry Pie" off my Ipod.

Music has many outlets, it conveys many feelings and does a wonderful job on both counts. Bad words are useful in many situations, I imagine you aren't much of a fan of George Carlin, I recommend You tubing "7 words" for some insight.

As Roo stated above if you take the mature route and explain the significance behind the lyrics they will learn respect and where certain words are appropriate and when.

• Pilot EdForceOne

However I also believe that good music doesn't have to rely on bad words to convey the meaning of the song. The music and the lyrics complement each other, and where a bad word might be inappropriate, someone who knows music should be able to describe whatever it is they are trying to express musically instead.
    Sorry - this is you putting your morals on everyone else.

Besides, from the list clinks put above.. many of those artists do achieve the song's emotions and ties without lyrics at all. It's also well known that lyrics often come after a song is written. So your stipulation is quite off base I think.

To the OP - I don't think its the words themselves that matter as much as the usage of them and their dominace. I mean, the occasional word just goes on by... but of course we know plenty of music that is obscene just to be obscene

It's a grey area to try to judge the meaning of the words... most people don't listen to the actual messages in the songs anyway - but some are way more 'in your face' then others.

I'm lucky that my kids still mainly listen to kid pop, dance, or classic rock they pickup from me.

So why put in bad words to distract from the power of the music?
    Because the definition of 'bad' is a relative thing. If you were to only go on what was socially acceptable and conforming... you wouldn't have most of the musical breakthroughs we have had.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm not talking about ruining youth, I'm talking about the use of bad words as ruining music.

The use of the bad word forces the listener to ignore the music and to pay attention to the words. Then why bother putting the entire lyrics to music at all if music has no longer has the power to enhance or compliment the lyrics?
    Somehow I'm able to enjoy good music without focusing on one word. Now, I'm not a fan of hearing it over and over. I was responding to your notion of any song with a bad word makes the artist bad. Once upon a time the Rolling Stones couldn't say "Let's Spend the Night Together". Complaining adults are there every generation, but good music seems to rise all the time regardless of content. I won't listen to "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails around the kids, but God I love that song!

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, "Closer" is one song that I did not include on Josh's iPod, as well as "The Only Time" off of Pretty Hate Machine.

"Nothing quite like the feel of something new" ... right.

And I do agree that many times it comes down to context.

Saying I'm going to "****" you up is different than saying "While the devil wants to "****" me in the back of his car".

At least IMO.

• Beach Expert

You all have valid points. While I still believe in the power of music (and I'm not saying that you guys do not) you have opened my eyes a bit. For that I want to thank all of you.

• Thank you, that is all.

Music is a gift, and like every gift, it is dependent on the receiver as to how well it is received.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

[QUOTE=SummerInFL;1055842932]I guess I should delete "Cherry Pie" off my Ipod.

Music has many outlets, it conveys many feelings and does a wonderful job on both counts. Bad words are useful in many situations, I imagine you aren't much of a fan of George Carlin, I recommend You tubing "7 words" for some insight.

As Roo stated above if you take the mature route and explain the significance behind the lyrics they will learn respect and where certain words are appropriate and when.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! ( Black Eyed Peas concert anyone?!)
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Shifting cargo

When they're still relatively young and I have control over what they listen to, I would avoid profanity and curse words. Of course as they get older and meet people who introduce them to different music styles and songs, I can only do so much.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• is poppin' tags

I have a horrible foul mouth. I listen to music by other people with foul mouths. It's all fine and good. Words don't offend me. I can not fathom getting up in arms by how a person expresses himself verbally. I let my son (who is nonverbal) listen to whatever I listen to. Mostly NPR, but a ton of punk. We are an unconventional family.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Mischievous Mouse

I have one simple rule on bad language...

"don't be a garbage mouth in public around adults or your grand-parents!"

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast