Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MC State Comptroller

Re: Do You/Would You let your kids listen to music with "bad" words?

I try very hard not to cuss in front of my son, but fail many, many times. My wife is a lot better at it than me, but it does slip out at times. She nor I have once heard a cuss word come out of our sons mouth.

We do not restrict what music he listens to. We are a little more careful about what he sees, but I crank The Who when we are in the car and a lot of times he doesn't even pay attention.

I have noticed that parents who make a huge deal of "bad" words end up accidentally giving them more importance than needed, which in turn shows the child that they can be naughty or get attention by using them.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• is poppin' tags

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
    We do not restrict what music he listens to.

I have noticed that parents who make a huge deal of "bad" words end up accidentally giving them more importance than needed, which in turn shows the child that they can be naughty or get attention by using them.
    Agreed!

My parents really tried to censor what I listened to as a youth. Their main focus was to not let me listen to anything that they deemed 'satanic'. They used that term very lossely and it applied to everything from NIN and Marilyn Manson (easy target) to Weezer and Green Day(long shot).

It really did expose their censorship as hypocritical and unfounded and I rebelled against them with all I had in me. It put an importance on those groups that I might not have personally assigned on them. I ended up looking to rockstars as role models instead of my folks.

If they had only spoken to me and tried to keep a connection with me regardless of the weird music I listened to, our relations would not have suffered as much.

Remaining open-minded with your children and accepting that they may like some stuff that you don't agree with is healthy. You don't have to like/support the music, but accepting that your kids are different than you and loving them anyway is a sign of great parenting.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    In fact, most of the time when he's listening to music, it's the Star Wars soundtracks.
    I publicly question your parenting skills!!!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The first three movements of Beethoven's 5th Symphony is about his impending deafness and the anxiety and fear that he had struggling with this.
    All I hear are swear words when I listen.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I have a filthy mouth, I'll admit it. My daughter is 15 years old now, and has been listening to me curse like a sailor most of her life. I don't censor the music she listens to, nor do I censor the music I play when she's around. She's grown up to be a well-behaved, well-balanced young lady. I'm sure she uses foul language at school (as most every kid her age does). She doesn't curse around me, not because it's against the rules, but just because she doesn't. She has slipped out with "bitch" once or twice, but I never batted an eyelash. In our household, it's no big deal, they're just words.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• is poppin' tags

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    it's no big deal, they're just words.
    Right!

I mean who decided which words were 'bad'?! How can a verbal utterance be 'bad'?

Words can be offensive, if you CHOOSE to be offended by them. It's also really easy to ignore words you don't like. I do it all the time when I hear a certain political party shouting nonsense.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

depends on their age....once they are in their teens, they should be making their own educated choices on what is appropriate to listen to...when they are younger than that, no no no.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123