Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Do You/Would You let your kids listen to music with "bad" words?

While on my run today I was using my son's iPod and listening to Nine Inch Nalis. Then I thought for a second "this is my son's iPod, should this be on here" and then I decided yes.

I don't really have a problem with it to be honest, as long as every other word isn't a bad word. I figure any word that there is to be said he's probably heard from me or in a movie.

What are your thoughts?

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Re: Do You/Would You let your kids listen to music with "bad" words?

Well I let my older nephew listen to my music..which does contain "foul" language..but as I know he doesn't use that type of language around us so..I guess I let him use it and yes His mom is aware and she's okey with it as well
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I'm the same way. I've never been big on censoring their music and am admittedly lax about watching language in front of them. Its seemed to work out okay though, I'll never forget walking past my oldest son's room when he was in 6th grade and hearing him tell his friends "God, why do you have to cuss so much. It's not that big of a deal"

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I think as long as both parents agree it is OK, then it is no one elses concern.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm the first to admit that I hate bad language. My kids watch their mouths, to this day, around me, and they are grown up men. My grandson followed the path of his uncle, and his dad and he listens to a lot of the same music that they did.

When my boys were blaring their music, I used to make them turn it off because of the language. I didn't care so much that they wanted to hear it, as much as I didn't.

So, I am thankful for the iPod generation. As I have said before,I won't make you listen to my stuff, if you don't make me listen to yours.

Just talk to me once in a while O.K?
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Still wants to be a cat!

No problem here.....Wolfette has heard all of those words before, now not sure if she gets the meaning completely, but that really is of little concern at her age. I sure don't like hearing them though, yes, thank goodness for iPods!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, our kids also don't curse in front of us and will deny that they do at school. They seem to forget that we were that age once.

But that shows respect, and that's all good.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think we've all gone through that phase where we think cursing is "cool" (middle school, high school) and pretend like we don't do it if our parents ask (guilty). As I've gotten older, I've become more and more bothered by foul language especially when every other word is the F word, it's so annoying. I'll admit to slipping up occasionally.
    When I was in 6th grade I wanted this Alanis Morrisette cassette and my mom was worried because it had cussing in it, but realized I was a big kid and could discern for myself. Also, I had learned curse words around 4th grade. I think nowadays kids learn curse words a lot earlier. Not such an innocent time anymore.
    I don't think you should worry about censoring your son. It's the kids who are censored too much that will go out and rebel anyway, so I think your fine with him listening to songs with the occasional bad words. But if he wants to start listening to highly explicit rap music....well lets just hope he won't want to.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I can remember listening to NWA, etc when I was my son's age. He doesn't listen to ANYTHING that bad.

In fact, most of the time when he's listening ot music, it's the Star Wars soundtracks.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I don't mind people peppering their language with the odd 'bad' word. What bothers me is when it's almost as common as words like 'the' or 'and'. A good swear word loses its impact if you use it all the time. :-)

My son has heard plenty of bad words, and once in a while repeated a few. We explain to him that those words aren't nice and it's inappropriate to use them in most settings and around most people. Language is used for communication and you aren't communicating with someone if you're using words they are trying not to hear. I think if you make something forbidden, you only make it more desirable.

I would draw the line at hard-core rap, not only because of the language but mostly because of the general theme of disrespect, violence and abuse. It's more what they say than how they say it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm getting a bit more lax with Miss Ashley. She's learned by now when it's appropraite to talk like that. I'm still a little guarded with Aaron but he's 8 so I'm comfortable with that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I don't have an issue with cursing, I have an issue with songs that have violence against women (or devalues women, ie calling a woman a whore.). One of my favorite songs has a curse word, and it's a very sweet mellow Sarah McLachlan song so...I have no issue.

It depends on the age of the kids. I don't worry about language as much as I worried about he message of the music, if it uses body parts I usually would say that went too far. I'm old enough to remember the rolling stones on Ed Sullivan rolling there eyes when they had to sing "Let spend some time together" instead of "lets spend the night together". how stupid I thought that was. For those who are going to ask who is Ed Sullivan he was the host of the original TV variety show where the Beatles first played. Ok for those who are going to ask who are the Beatles, forget it!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Music with lyrics that contain bad words is not music.

People who write music with bad words are not musicians. They are lyricists and should be writing poetry instead.

The first three movements of Beethoven's 5th Symphony is about his impending deafness and the anxiety and fear that he had struggling with this. The fourth movement resolves this struggle with the realization that he will be able to conquer this fear. All of this is expressed without a single word. Perhaps this composition was cathartic for him and enabled him to compose despite his disability. By the time he wrote the 9th Symphony he was totally deaf.

What I am trying to say is that music expresses emotions that cannot be felt by words alone. If a musician cannot write a song without including bad words then they have no idea what music is and the power that this form of art has the capability of acheiving. The music should be able to express their emotion without them having to actually say it by using foul language.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Music with lyrics that contain bad words is not music.

People who write music with bad words are not musicians. They are lyricists and should be writing poetry instead.
    So

Pink Floyd ... not music?
    AC/DC ... not music?
    Johnny Cash ... not music?
    Beastie Boys ... not music?
    Dave Matthews Band ... not music?
    Guns N Roses ... not music?
    John Mayer ... not music?
    Metallica ... not music?
    Radiohead ... not music?
    Smashing Pumpkins ... not music?
    Soundgarden ... not music?
    U2 ... not music?

All have had at least one song with a "Bad Word" in it.

I'm sure there are more including probably some music that you like that contains bad words, unless all you listen to is classical music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast