• Circle of Ancients

Where do kids find new music? Can't be on the radio.

I remember growing up (born in 75) and because of radio and MTV we heard such a tremendous cross-section of music. From Pop, Rock, Rap, R&B, even Country.

Every week we'd listen to America's Top 40 and watch the MTV countdown of the top 20 videos. During the summer we'd spend all day watching MTV just to see that one video we liked, and in the meantime we'd hear and see all kinds of other acts that we'd also grow to like whether we wanted to or not.

To this day I still know the words to "Life in a Northern Town" and "Mexican Radio" even though I couldn't tell you any other song from Dream Academy or Wall of Voodoo.

Now my kids are 12 and 14 and their music is "my" music (more or less). My son has been to 2 concerts (Rush and Porcupine Tree) that he would have NEVER gone to on his own. My daughter likes Radiohead but probably wouldn't if it weren't for me or the Twilight Soundtrack.

Even for me, to find new music I tend to just follow suggestions from people on various message boards I visit.

I can't remember the last time I listened to "Terrestrial Radio" ... and even when I did, it was the Classic Rock station not anything Top 40, etc.

There is NO WAY the future generation is going to have a good mix of different styles of music they like. My generation can get down to Michael Jackson, NWA, Nirvana, The Police, U2 (when they were awesome), Will Smith, Madonna and even "Weird Al".

So I guess the question is ... is this generation pretty much stuck with whatever their parents may listen to or that friends may find somehow? And how are people actually FINDING new music?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Where do kids find new music? Can't be on the radio.

The internets, my child. Internet-based radio, recommendations from iTunes based on the Genius, YouTube, etc. And whatever's on their friends' playlists, just like it was whatever was on MTV, or whatever was on your friend's turntable when you were there.

I could give you specific places but I'm just way too tired. Some younglings will fill you in, I'm sure. I'm old and have to go to bed

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

And don't forget guitar hero/rock band.

I like to enter in an Artist that I enjoy into Last.FM or Pandora and then I find all sorts of similar artists that I then purchase from iTunes (or Amazon MP3 lately, +1 for being cheaper for full albums). I've also found alot of bands because they play warmup at various concerts.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I get that kids get music recommendations from FB, other friends, Pandora, Last.FM etc. Festival Concerts are still one "style" of music for the most part. Sure you will get the occasional JayZ thrown in there. But IMO that's still a pretty narrow musical spectrum. And let's face it, I certainly don't want my kids watching the Grammy's or AMA's to get their music.

Our kids aren't going to be sitting around in 20 years listening to Satellite Radio (let's face it, that will be the ONLY radio by then) and hear a song and remember hearing it when they were 12 and remember all the words. And IMO, that's kind of sad.