Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58
  1. #16

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Last night's accident will not delay the show no more than the cancellation of tomorrow's matinee. There was no performance scheduled for tonight.

    It's sad to say, but accidents do happen. That is a fact. This show has some of the most cutting edge technology and safety is their number one priority because of that.

    Chris, the guy who fell into the pit last night, is in the hospital with several broken ribs and internal bleeding. Yes, it's very scary and upsetting, but it's a part of his job that he agreed to when he signed the contract - he is a stunt double.

    Safety will only be strengthened from this point out.

    I really hope none of you write this show off before even seeing it - it's truly something spectacular.

  2. #17

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    797

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Last night's accident will not delay the show no more than the cancellation of tomorrow's matinee. There was no performance scheduled for tonight.

    It's sad to say, but accidents do happen. That is a fact. This show has some of the most cutting edge technology and safety is their number one priority because of that.

    Chris, the guy who fell into the pit last night, is in the hospital with several broken ribs and internal bleeding. Yes, it's very scary and upsetting, but it's a part of his job that he agreed to when he signed the contract - he is a stunt double.

    Safety will only be strengthened from this point out.

    I really hope none of you write this show off before even seeing it - it's truly something spectacular.
    No performance, no audience, is worth dying for. The show does not have to go on.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  3. #18

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    No performance, no audience, is worth dying for. The show does not have to go on.
    Sounds like it won't go on for long anyway...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  4. #19

    • And they call me Mad!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your Mind
    Posts
    10,962
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    I would tell the cast to break a leg...but I fear that would just frighten them.
    What an idiot....

    Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.


  5. #20

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    No performance, no audience, is worth dying for. The show does not have to go on.
    That's a great quote/sound bite, but the fact is this is just like signing up for the army. You know what you're getting into. This is a stunt double. He signed up knowing the risk involved with his role.

  6. #21

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,208

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Very true


  7. #22

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    797

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    That's a great quote/sound bite, but the fact is this is just like signing up for the army. You know what you're getting into. This is a stunt double. He signed up knowing the risk involved with his role.
    Knowing there are risks and accepting them is one thing, but 2 broken wrists, a broken foot, a concussion, and an intense involuntary fall is another.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  8. #23

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    This show is DEAD, and a stunt man almost died...

    Read all about: Christopher Tierney Injured in a Spider-Man On Broadway Stunt | ThirdAge

  9. #24

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    At this point, with all the money they've thrown at this show, it just doesn't seem worth it. Everyone knows the script is inexcusably horrible, and the music is sub par. They're only running so they don't lose any more money than they already have. At this rate with a million dollar a week running costs, it would take 12 1/2 years of sold out performances at an average of $145 a ticket just to break even! They're absolutely mad.

  10. #25

    • The Study of Wumbo
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greenwich, CT
    Posts
    1,822

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    This is gonna be another "don't-say-the-name-of-the-Scottish-play" thing? Like, don't say "Spiderman" in a theater or else everyone's going to nearly die before the show opens.
    -Hale (wumbology)

    a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

    (I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])



  11. #26

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    At this point, with all the money they've thrown at this show, it just doesn't seem worth it. Everyone knows the script is inexcusably horrible, and the music is sub par. They're only running so they don't lose any more money than they already have. At this rate with a million dollar a week running costs, it would take 12 1/2 years of sold out performances at an average of $145 a ticket just to break even! They're absolutely mad.
    Your information is inaccurate.

    Less than three years to recoup, but it'll really make its money on the road when it tours arenas.

    It's already making a nice chunk of change each weak.

    Currently, the book is being rewritten by a new writer and there are 3 working demos of new songs to be added into the show. At least two songs currently in the show are going to be cut. Changes are coming.

  12. #27

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    UPDATE

    Spider-Man musical aerialist Christopher Tierney is walking again post-surgery.
    Christmas Miracle: Spider-Man Aerialist Walking Again!


    The stunt actor who was the latest casualty of the Spider-Man musical this week is walking again! Aeralist Christopher Tierney fell 30 feet and broke his ribs while playing Spider-Man on Broadway earlier this week (the show shut down for a day as a result), but now his father says he walked for the first time yesterday. He's spending Christmas in the hospital recovering from back surgery, with his parents and brother, who says he "is expected to make a full recovery and will surely return to the stage." As for the rest of the Spider-Man cast, they're scheduled to be back on stage tonight—but ticket buyer beware.

  13. #28

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    573

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    I've had friends who've seen it. At the performance they saw (obviously, a preview) the show needed to be stopped three times due to technical problems (mostly with the aerial stunts). During the third stoppage, audience members stood up and chanted to get their money back. My friends also said that--except for one musical number and some cool stunts--the play mostly sucked and that the audience laughed at some horrible dialogue.

  14. #29

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    573

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Currently, the book is being rewritten by a new writer and there are 3 working demos of new songs to be added into the show. At least two songs currently in the show are going to be cut. Changes are coming.
    Can you name one play that--during previews--had its book rewritten and turned out to be a great play? I can't.

    When a company rewrites large parts of the play (and the entire ending, from what I understand), it's pretty much admitting that the story stinks and they are taking a last ditch effort to salvage the production.

  15. #30

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    Can you name one play that--during previews--had its book rewritten and turned out to be a great play? I can't.

    When a company rewrites large parts of the play (and the entire ending, from what I understand), it's pretty much admitting that the story stinks and they are taking a last ditch effort to salvage the production.
    Wicked.

    In San Francisco it was a different show every single night. From songs to scenes to choreography to cast members. The show almost didn't make it to Broadway.

    It's admitting the audience isn't connecting with the material - it's a very honorable action for the creative team to admit the issues at hand rather than letting their egos get the best of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' musical 2010
    By ALIASd in forum Disney and Industry Theatrical, Music and Publishing Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM
  2. Do You Go to Disneyland to Turn-Off or Turn-On Your Brain?
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM
  3. Will you go see Spider Man 3?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
  4. Spider Man 3!!!!
    By TAKINGtheBULLET in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 07:38 AM
  5. 'Spider-Man 4'
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •