Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Wicked.

    In San Francisco it was a different show every single night. From songs to scenes to choreography to cast members. The show almost didn't make it to Broadway.

    It's admitting the audience isn't connecting with the material - it's a very honorable action for the creative team to admit the issues at hand rather than letting their egos get the best of them.
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, NO. No, no, no. Just NO.

    I saw Wicked during its out-of-town tryout in San Francisco. It's true that some of the cast, songs, and book were changed between the end of San Francisco and previews on Broadway it's not the same as Spider-Man. Perhaps had Spider-Man taken the time and money to do an out-of-town tryout they would have not attracted the same negative attention they have now.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  2. #32

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, NO. No, no, no. Just NO.

    I saw Wicked during its out-of-town tryout in San Francisco. It's true that some of the cast, songs, and book were changed between the end of San Francisco and previews on Broadway it's not the same as Spider-Man. Perhaps had Spider-Man taken the time and money to do an out-of-town tryout they would have not attracted the same negative attention they have now.
    Excuse me?

    Spiderman couldn't go out of town because of the technical set-up required for all of the aerial action. Furthermore, have you seen Spiderman? If not, you have absolutely no room to discuss the changes being made.

    IN ADDITION: Spiderman's preview period is so extensive that I would equate it to the refining period that any Broadway musical with an out-of-town tryout has. This is an extremely innovative show that has a lot of tweaking to go through. It's not your standard Broadway show.

  3. #33

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Excuse me?

    Spiderman couldn't go out of town because of the technical set-up required for all of the aerial action. Furthermore, have you seen Spiderman? If not, you have absolutely no room to discuss the changes being made.
    You're excused.

    My point, since you missed it, is that previews and out-of-town tryouts are two very different things. The out-of-town tryout is the time for the team to figure out the kinks and make drastic changes without the fishbowl atmosphere that is Broadway.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    389

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Going to see it just before it goes out officially... I'll give you guys a great report!

    But yeah, it's pretty doomed!
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

    -My Electrical Parade Impersonation

  5. #35

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    You're excused.

    My point, since you missed it, is that previews and out-of-town tryouts are two very different things. The out-of-town tryout is the time for the team to figure out the kinks and make drastic changes without the fishbowl atmosphere that is Broadway.
    As you and everyone else is aware - Spiderman doesn't have that option for technical reasons.

    Why are you so set on the show failing?

  6. #36

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    As you and everyone else is aware - Spiderman doesn't have that option for technical reasons.

    Why are you so set on the show failing?
    I feel that the "technical reasons" line is a bit of a cop-out. I've been a professional technician/rigger for 11 years, and I've seen a lot of technically complex things come through my hands and I know what's possible and what isn't.

    As for your second comment...

    I am not set on the show failing, far from it. I don't know what from my posts has led you to believe this, but I made the contention that the show should be shut down from a safety standpoint until they can reliably fix the problems that led to 2 broken wrists, a broken foot, a concussion, and cracked ribs, broken back, and internal bleeding.

    Thanks for playing, have a nice day.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  7. #37

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    I feel that the "technical reasons" line is a bit of a cop-out. I've been a professional technician/rigger for 11 years, and I've seen a lot of technically complex things come through my hands and I know what's possible and what isn't.

    As for your second comment...

    I am not set on the show failing, far from it. I don't know what from my posts has led you to believe this, but I made the contention that the show should be shut down from a safety standpoint until they can reliably fix the problems that led to 2 broken wrists, a broken foot, a concussion, and cracked ribs, broken back, and internal bleeding.

    Thanks for playing, have a nice day.
    Again - have you seen the show? Have you been to the theater? Do you know anyone remotely involved?

    The theater was rebuilt (as I'm sure you're aware) to house this show. It will not tour in its current format. The aerial rigging is so specific and so complex that the theater had to rebuild each level of seating.

    You've never seen rigging like this. It's not your traditional aerial rigs either - it's a variation between tracked, 2 point and 4 point. You have aerialists going in and out of each others' wires and landing on balconies only to take off a second later.

    Go see the show before you call anything a cop-out. And it should be noted that the aerial work is the tip of the technical iceberg.

  8. #38

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Again - have you seen the show? Have you been to the theater? Do you know anyone remotely involved?

    The theater was rebuilt (as I'm sure you're aware) to house this show. It will not tour in its current format. The aerial rigging is so specific and so complex that the theater had to rebuild each level of seating.

    You've never seen rigging like this. It's not your traditional aerial rigs either - it's a variation between tracked, 2 point and 4 point. You have aerialists going in and out of each others' wires and landing on balconies only to take off a second later.

    Go see the show before you call anything a cop-out. And it should be noted that the aerial work is the tip of the technical iceberg.

    Rebuilding Broadway houses goes back to Phantom of the Opera, which was the heaviest show to go in in its day. It's not that unusual anymore, really. Since they rebuilt the house to accommodate the larger gear, it's reasonable to assume a more modern house would be even more capable of holding it with even less modification.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    389

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Um... *ahem* So I heard that the songs were pretty bad, but the worst was the second act, which is where the real train wreck starts... and there's not even too many real "flying" events or stunts that take place then. I hope they get rid of the Geek Chorus and start working on the second act soon...
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

    -My Electrical Parade Impersonation

  10. #40

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    Rebuilding Broadway houses goes back to Phantom of the Opera, which was the heaviest show to go in in its day. It's not that unusual anymore, really. Since they rebuilt the house to accommodate the larger gear, it's reasonable to assume a more modern house would be even more capable of holding it with even less modification.
    Answer my question: have you seen the show? Have you been to the theater? Do you know anyone remotely involved?

  11. #41

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    I have not seen the show- yet.

    I am familiar with the ex-Ford Center theatre and its design.

    I do not personally know any of the crew members on the show.

    However, I have read about the equipment they are using on the show in trade publications, and I still maintain that an out-of-town tryout could have been possible. I still am of the opinion that the reason this did not happen was financial.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  12. #42

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    I have not seen the show- yet.

    I am familiar with the ex-Ford Center theatre and its design.

    I do not personally know any of the crew members on the show.

    However, I have read about the equipment they are using on the show in trade publications, and I still maintain that an out-of-town tryout could have been possible. I still am of the opinion that the reason this did not happen was financial.
    You have absolutely no room to discuss anything regarding the technical aspects of the show without seeing it at work firsthand. That's plain and simple.

    And you're absolutely right - an out of town tryout would have cost an additional $20-30M easily for a 6-10 week run in any major city because of the technical elements (flying and set).

    The show is more Cirque than anything - this is a total Vegas show with a custom built theater that is being done in New York City.

    It's a work in progress, but it is spectacular and truly a step forward for Broadway.


    It should also be noted that even with only 4 performances this past week, the show still managed to make just under a million and played to 100% capacity. To those saying the show won't recoup - try again. Ticket sales only get stronger with the press it's getting - positive or negative. The advance is massive.

  13. #43

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    You have absolutely no room to discuss anything regarding the technical aspects of the show without seeing it at work firsthand. That's plain and simple.

    And you're absolutely right - an out of town tryout would have cost an additional $20-30M easily for a 6-10 week run in any major city because of the technical elements (flying and set).

    The show is more Cirque than anything - this is a total Vegas show with a custom built theater that is being done in New York City.

    It's a work in progress, but it is spectacular and truly a step forward for Broadway.


    It should also be noted that even with only 4 performances this past week, the show still managed to make just under a million and played to 100% capacity. To those saying the show won't recoup - try again. Ticket sales only get stronger with the press it's getting - positive or negative. The advance is massive.

    I suppose I should at least thank you for conceding one point to me, despite your assertions that I don't know at all what I am talking about. Circus/aerial/'cirque' is something I actually know quite thoroughly, but according to you I have no idea so we'll agree to disagree. This is not a custom-built theatre, this is an existing theatre that's existed for quite some time so it's not quite like Vegas (remembering that The Beatles LOVE, Ka, Zumanity, and Criss Angel Believe are all housed in pre-existing spaces).

    As to advance, it might be for a simpler reason: the public loves a trainwreck. Taboo and Tarzan sold amazingly well after the media spouted off how terribly those shows were doing. How about conceding that you are not the sole voice of authority? We've been forthcoming as to our backgrounds, but we've heard not a peep from you about yours. Are you involved with the show? Part of the marketing team? Do you work for the show's PR firm?
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  14. #44

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    I suppose I should at least thank you for conceding one point to me, despite your assertions that I don't know at all what I am talking about. Circus/aerial/'cirque' is something I actually know quite thoroughly, but according to you I have no idea so we'll agree to disagree. This is not a custom-built theatre, this is an existing theatre that's existed for quite some time so it's not quite like Vegas (remembering that The Beatles LOVE, Ka, Zumanity, and Criss Angel Believe are all housed in pre-existing spaces).

    As to advance, it might be for a simpler reason: the public loves a trainwreck. Taboo and Tarzan sold amazingly well after the media spouted off how terribly those shows were doing. How about conceding that you are not the sole voice of authority? We've been forthcoming as to our backgrounds, but we've heard not a peep from you about yours. Are you involved with the show? Part of the marketing team? Do you work for the show's PR firm?
    It is a custom built house in the sense that they took it down to the steel work. All of the historical plaster work - everything - gone.

    So, yeah, I consider it a custom house. They added more than 500 seats. That's pretty significant, no?

    And while you may have worked with similar systems before, this one is very specific - every show has their own intricacies as I'm sure you're aware. It's never simple.

    My background and current position are all over the map.

    I owe no explanation to anyone about my background, but I will say this:

    At a certain point in time I had a professional connection to this show. That connection no longer exists. I am not in a position where I cannot see its flaws - it has many - and those are being worked on. All I look for is the respect to allow the creative team to work on those flaws. They're an extremely talented bunch of people that are trying to create something special. Do you think they're trying to create something people won't enjoy? No way. They want to create a show that will touch people and inspire them.
    Last edited by Ummmmm, No; 12-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.

  15. #45

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

    FYI - This past week's gross:

    $1,880,833

    For all the people saying it won't recoup - sorry, to say - you couldn't be more wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' musical 2010
    By ALIASd in forum Disney and Industry Theatrical, Music and Publishing Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM
  2. Do You Go to Disneyland to Turn-Off or Turn-On Your Brain?
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM
  3. Will you go see Spider Man 3?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
  4. Spider Man 3!!!!
    By TAKINGtheBULLET in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 07:38 AM
  5. 'Spider-Man 4'
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •