Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

As long as the show remains a train wreck in slow-mo (accidents, actors quitting, canceled performances . . . ) the show will remain an oddity worth seeing. But once the novelty of 'an actor might plummet to his death in front of you' wears off, this show is done. I don't think anyone in the industry expects this show to pay off in the long run.

And nothing could make Disney happier. They'd no doubt like to take their own shot at Spiderman since they now own the property (though they don't own this show).

The best thing that could happen for Disney is for this show to fail. Then Disney can swoop in and do their own theatrical version of Spiderman which doesn't ummmmm . . . . suck!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The best thing that could happen for Disney is for this show to fail. Then Disney can swoop in and do their own theatrical version of Spiderman which doesn't ummmmm . . . . suck!
    As long as it's nothing like Tarzan...talk about a bad show.

About this show though, I agree, it's the appeal of the rubber necking over an accident. I would never think of seeing this at full price, but at the TKTS booth, if nothing else I want to see is available, then it might be an option.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    As long as the show remains a train wreck in slow-mo (accidents, actors quitting, canceled performances . . . ) the show will remain an oddity worth seeing. But once the novelty of 'an actor might plummet to his death in front of you' wears off, this show is done. I don't think anyone in the industry expects this show to pay off in the long run.

And nothing could make Disney happier. They'd no doubt like to take their own shot at Spiderman since they now own the property (though they don't own this show).

Here's some news for you: this is Disney's show now.

They have underwritten the entire production at this point - they have the most money in. (Remember when it was going through financial trouble? Yeah. Julie made a call.)

The show isn't in as bad shape as most (including the news) would like you think.

The advance is massive at this point and the show isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• Ravenclaw

The President of Actor's Equity has finally released a statement:
    Spider-Man and Equity | Actors' Equity Association

Spider-Man and Equity
    By Nick Wyman, AEA President
    I have been very disturbed and distraught by the serious injuries sustained by our member Chris Tierney at the December 20th performance of SPIDER-MAN: TURN OFF THE DARK. My thoughts and prayers have been with him for the past ten days, and I have been in touch with him by phone and e-mail. Chris is a study in toughness and grace. Hemingway defined guts as "grace under pressure." Guts is what Chris Tierney has consistently displayed both before and after his accident.
    It is very upsetting to think what effect this accident might have on Chris's career. (Chris is not "a stunt man," as the newspapers keep referring to him in their churlishly patronizing way. I have nothing against stunt men; Terry Jackson, whom I beat up in "Die Hard with a Vengeance" and who was Bruce Willis's personal stunt man for nine years, is one of the most impressively professional performers I have ever met. Chris, however, is a marvelous dancer from the Hubbard Street Troupe in Chicago who has danced in the national tour of Twyla Tharp's MOVIN' OUT and in the North American premiere of DIRTY DANCING in Toronto.)
    Full article at link.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 01-07-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Story shortened for copyright per board policy
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Ravenclaw

Additionally, Natalie Mendoza, who plays Arachne and sustained a concussion, is leaving the show.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    Additionally, Natalie Mendoza, who plays Arachne and sustained a concussion, is leaving the show.
    She left the show 3 weeks ago.

• Banned User

Guess what? Spider-Man musical delayed again: "Set for Jan. 11, the $65 million show now will bow sometime in February. Word is director Julie Taymor and composer Bono need time for rewrites to hone the story."

• Ravenclaw

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Truly the final delay. There's a new composer on board to work with Bono and The Edge, as well as a new lyricist. Songs are being cranked out at a breakneck pace. Act 2 is being rewritten with a new ghost writer.

• Ravenclaw

The show has been hit with 3 Serious violations by OSHA:
    ‘Spider-Man’ Hit With Safety Violations - Metropolis - WSJ

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Julie Taymor Likely Leaving
    Broadway's 'Spider-Man'

In what looks to be the most stunning upset to date for the troubled $65 million musical, Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark is now facing the likely departure of its chief creative force, Julie Taymor.

Other radical changes also are in store for the show, which has made history by chalking up the longest preview period in the Broadway record books and has taken a hammering from major theater critics.

A production source told THR that when an official announcement comes, it will be “dramatic.” That update -- expected to contain details of Taymor’s exit, as well as the names of new members to the show’s creative team and a revised schedule for its much-delayed official opening -- could come as early as today.

The New York Times reported that the show, co-authored and directed by Taymor, with a score by U2’s Bono and the Edge, will shut down for a number of weeks in late April/early May for an overhaul. It would then open some time in June, after the April 29 cut-off point for this year’s Tony Awards eligibility.

Some outlets reported Tuesday night that Taymor already was out. But news developing Wednesday morning suggests that situation remains in flux while producers and lawyers thrash out contractual terms. The situation is made more complicated by Taymor’s co-authorship of the property, as well as her mask designs used in the production, giving her a financial stake in any profits.

Reports emerged in recent days suggesting that solidarity between Taymor and the U2 and producerial camps had broken down. However, a New York Times story on Wednesday said the producing team, led by Michael Cohl, is eager to reach an amicable exit agreement.
    Julie Taymor Likely Leaving Broadway's 'Spider-Man' - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Spider-Man: With or Without You'...

'Spider-Man' Director Julie Taymor Out;
    New Creative Team Hired

She is stepping down after March 15 as the troubled musical prepares major retooling for an early summer opening.

'Spider-Man' Director Julie Taymor Out; New Creative Team Hired - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234