• Circle of Ancients

Rhythm Magazines Top 20 Drummers of the past 25 years

The 20 greatest drummers of the last 25 years | Rhythm Magazine | MusicRadar.com

British drumming magazine Rhythm held a poll last week to find the 20 Greatest Drummers of the Last 25 Years, and the results are in. While this ranked round-up of stick-wielding technicians was not reserved just for metal, featuring Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Travis Barker, Phil Collins and Steven Copeland in the list, we're proud to report that Slipknot's Joey Jordison was the number one fan-selected drummer, with Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy in second place and Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison in third!

Of Joey's landslide win with 38,000 votes, the site writes, "Ever since blast beating his way into the drum world back in 1999 as Slipknot unleashed their stunning debut, Joey has cemented himself as the master of metal playing. Lightning fast-yet-supremely-technical, Joey has proven himself equally adept outside of the confines of Slipknot, having worked with Korn, Rob Zombie, Murderdolls and more, as well as stepping in to save the day at the last minute when depping for Lars Ulrich at Download 2004."

As for Portnoy's spot on the list, Rhythm writes, "His work with Dream Theater is jaw-droppingly impressive (as is his workload with the prog masters, churning out pretty much an album a year since their debut in 1989), and his stints with OSI, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Liquid Tension Experiment and more mean that heís one of the busiest sticksmen around, as well as one of the most visually engaging an impressive. No wonder he earned more than 29,000 votes in our poll."

Rounding out the trifecta is Gavin Harrison in third, of which Rhythm contends, "Porcupine Tree have attracted a huge fanbase of die-hards with their time-signature defying, fluid rock sound, and drummer Gavin Harrison has been a huge part of that since joining the band back in 2002. Gavinís prog background stretches right back to 1983 and his time with Renaissance, while he currently juggles drumming duties with Porcupine Tree and King Crimson."
    The list:
    1) Joey Jordison (Slipknot/Korn/Rob Zombie)
    2) Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre)
    3) Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)
    4) Neil Peart (Rush)
    5) Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters)
    6) Travis Barker (Blink 182)
    7) Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
    8) Vinnie Calaiuta (Frank Zappa/Sting)
    9) Phil Collins
    10) Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
    11) Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
    12) Steve Gadd (Eric Clapton/Paul Simon)
    13) Thomas Lang (Session)
    14) Stewart Copeland (The Police)
    15) Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa)
    16) Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle/Devo)
    17) Cozy Powell (Rainbow/Whitesnake)
    18) Jeff Porcaro (Toto)
    19) Stephen Morris (Joy Division/New Order)
    20) Steve White (Paul Weller)

Other than #1, #5, #6 and #10 I don't really have a HUGE issue with this list. Joey Jordison wouldn't even be in my top 20, let alone #1 by a landslide. Also kind of silly to include Grohl as the Foo Fighters drummer but not Taylor Hawkins.

• Not a Crook

Re: Rhythm Magazines Top 20 Drummers of the past 25 years

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The 20 greatest drummers of the last 25 years | Rhythm Magazine | MusicRadar.com

Other than #1, #5, #6 and #10 I don't really have a HUGE issue with this list. Joey Jordison wouldn't even be in my top 20, let alone #1 by a landslide. Also kind of silly to include Grohl as the Foo Fighters drummer but not Taylor Hawkins.
    #1's placement probably comes from that mistaken belief that just because a guy can play really fast in a weird time signature, all of a sudden he's awesome. I think you could call it the "Yngwie Malmsteen" effect. It's a reader based poll, though, and I do know that Slipknot has some scarily obsessed fans.

I also find it odd that they'd even mention Foo Fighters with Grohl, since Nirvana, his work with Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, Probot, etc., would be enough to prove his place on the list.
    Last edited by Disney Romantic; 08-12-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Early morning post. Me not use all correct words. Blah.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Rhythm Magazines Top 20 Drummers of the past 25 years

^ Yeah, I'm not saying Grohl shouldn't be included, but not for the Foo's.