Need book reccomendations!

I have to read an autobiography or memoir for English class, and from what I know Walt never wrote either, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any good autobiographies/memoirs written by any Disney imagineers, legends, or any of the such?

• and too all a good fright

Re: Need book reccomendations!

I'm not sure if this is truly in the style of a memoir or is his writing about Disney PR. Does that make sense? Can anyone who's read this confirm?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Disneys-World-Memories-Kingdom/dp/1887140670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283470479&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent (9781887140676): Charles Ridgway: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fHpaFwGPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51fHpaFwGPL[/ame]

You may want to check out this blog. It is maintained by a librarian and has a fairly thorough bibliography of Disney titles.
    Last edited by flotsam_mike; 09-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.

• Down Pluto!

I liked Designing Disney by John Hench with Peggy Van Pelt

It may or may not be what you are looking for, but it is a good read.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Cast Member Confidential by Chris Mitchell
    MouseTrap by Kevin Yee

Those might work!

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    I'm not sure if this is truly in the style of a memoir or is his writing about Disney PR. Does that make sense? Can anyone who's read this confirm?

Amazon.com: Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent (9781887140676): Charles Ridgway: Books

You may want to check out this blog. It is maintained by a librarian and has a fairly thorough bibliography of Disney titles.
    Yes, Spinning Disney's World would definitely fall under the category of autobiography and/or memoirs.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Steve Martin's book Born Standing Up, has gotten decent reviews---and he was once a cast member.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post
    Cast Member Confidential by Chris Mitchell
    I enjoyed that one, but you can tell he added some flair to his stories. Actually, I'm pretty sure he admits to doing it in the prologue. Still a good read though.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

If life itself were interesting, we'd need not to turn to reading books--all authors embellish. It's our way.

Peace,
    Roo

• Jessie: exuberent & fun!!

I know...this is a little off topic, but I have a similar sit:

I have to do a biography project for reading. I want to do one on my fav actress, Joan Cusack (who plays Jessie), but, there are no biographies on her in my school OR the library...so I can't do one on HER!
    Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
    Buzz: clears throat)
    I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
    Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
    Buster: (barking)
    Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
    Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
    Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
    Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
    Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
    Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
    (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!

• MC State Comptroller

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination
    by Neal Gabler

Amazon.com: Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination (Vintage) (9780679757474): Neal Gabler: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VQffdB9iL.@@AMEPARAM@@51VQffdB9iL

A good, solid Walt Disney Bio. It was well researched and had a lot of info.

edit: Sorry, i didn't realize you were limited to autobiographies. Still it's a very good book!
    Last edited by sgtpeper; 11-07-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Cause the Comptroller is not paying attention
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Minion

From Screen to Theme: A Guide to Disneyź Animated Film References Found Throughout the Walt Disney World Resort

Book Author: Brent Dodge
    rom Screen to Theme: A Guide to Disney Animated Film References Found Throughout the Walt Disney World Resort” is the first in a new book series from Author Brent Dodge. I am told that volume 2 is already in the works. More on that later. The kind of long title of the book really gives you a pretty good idea of what you’ll find within the pages. Truly a new concept, it’s a cross between a guide book and a trivia book which focuses on Disney Animated films and Walt Disney World parks and resorts. Now that may be as much of a mouthful as the title, but it truly works well.

I found this book to be easy reading, well organized and fun to read. It can be enjoyed two different ways. Read it as you would any book, at home, commuting (as I did) or relaxing by your favorite Disney resort pool. Informative and entertaining. However, it can also be utilized as a guide book, in Walt Disney World, to hunt down your favorite character or movie references.

After reading the first chapter, I fell in love with this book. The engineer in me loved the format, while the Disney Geek in me loved the immersive information on my favorite topic. Each chapter focuses on a single Animated film. Starting off with “The film in three paragraphs”, you will get a refresher of the film’s storyline to prepare you for the rest of the chapter. Next, Brent Dodge takes you through each WDW theme park to point out all of the references, big or small, to that movie, or its characters. Brent explains: “The references in this book range from the obvious (yes, Peter Pan’s Flight is based off of “Peter Pan”) to some extremely hidden ones (one of the rafts on Kali River Rapids has a nod to a character from “The Jungle Book”). After the parks, he takes you through Downtown Disney and finally the Disney resort hotels.

Some neat facts pop up throughout each chapter. They may be about the animators and voices in the films, or little known secrets about the films, rides or attractions. Those “Fun Facts” as they are denoted in the book, will keep the Disney geek in you satisfied. A fun surprise that was truly unexpected for me is the “Character Meet and Greet Alerts” that can be found in most chapters. Yes, we all know we can find Mickey in (the soon to vanish) “Mickey’s Toontown Fair”, and I ALWAYS know where to find my precious Tinkerbell, most character meeting places are not posted on Disney maps. So do YOU know where to find The Queen of Hearts, Cinderella’s stepsisters, Jiminy Cricket, Donald Duck, Princess Jasmine or Mulan? Brent will tell you where you can meet them and others.

As I mentioned earlier, this is the first installment of the “From Screen to Theme” series from Brent Dodge. The next book, I am told, will cover live action film references in the Walt Disney World Resort. And he has others in the works, which he will formally announce at a later date.

So whether you’re looking for a good source of Disney information, a new twist on the guide book, or you want to find those hidden references to your favorite Disney Animated film, this book is for you. Oh, and of course if you’re a Disney geek, then you would just be flat out crazy not to get yourself a copy of this book.

You can purchase a copy from Amazon.com, however, I recommend getting an autographed copy directly from the author at From Screen to Theme: Brent Dodge's Book Series About Everything Disneyź.www.FromScreenToTheme.com.
    Last edited by mickeyfan4ever; 11-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr