Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Tron: Legacy Soundtrack Launches!

Daft Punk related, a buddy posted this on my facebook, the official music video of Mason Exceeder vs Daft Punk's Technologic, which this very mix was on DJ Hero.

I never remembered seeing this but if you don't like freaky talking dolls... You were warned =)
    YouTube - Mason exceeder vs technologic daft punk video (Dj_Greg_78)!

Did some research, that doll is actually the 'endoskeleton' of Chucky.
    Last edited by JMora; 11-17-2010 at 10:55 AM.

• Banned User

The latest issue of Dazed & Confused, Daft Punk gets the 3-D treatment. The duo are interviewed in the December edition of Dazed, which also celebrates the visions for the future of electronica sound. But of course a world exclusive feature with Daft Punk in LA as they unveil their soundtrack for 3D film Tron: Legacy.

The issue of the magazine comes with specially inserted glasses to see the spectacular 3D shoot by photographer Sharif Hamza, styled by senior menswear editor Robbie Spencer. You have to physically purchase the magazine for the in depth interview and look at all the stunning photos.

Besides Tron, they have another side project. Check out the Dazed Digital visual preview below. The details surrounding this are still somewhat vague but there has been a firm date of 11/18/2010 (tomorrow) attributed to the project. So, i would imagine keep your ears & eyes open.

The preview below features the two electronic gods, rocking tuxedos as well as their iconic body armor as they perform at a concert hall with traditional instruments. The film is devoid of dialogue, but promises to be a visual and musical journey. Of course this will be released just ahead of the pop-culture takeover that will inevitable happen with the release of Disney’s Tron Legacy which they scored, and will be released December 17th.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALFiMiKxuns

Source: http://www.dazeddigital.com/
    There's also an article on the film: http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandc.../1/tron-legacy
    Last edited by JMora; 11-17-2010 at 03:28 PM.

• Banned User

New

• Banned User

Already got a digital copy yesterday. Listening to it now. Sounds excellent.

• Circle of Ancients

Listening Now ...

• Decor Extraordinare

I got my album copy on Wed and I have to say, I wasn't totally impressed with the soundtrack. I guess I was expecting more tracks that had the same intensity as the trailer and TRONcore music. It sounded so unlike Daft Punk, and that is what had me hooked. But then I find that some of the pieces do have that Daft Punk vibe and I was a little less enticed. Some of it reminded me of the Social Network score, from Trent Reznor.
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

I actually really liked it, it was just "Daft Punk" enough to know it was them, but "Soundtrack" enough to fit the movie. I'm sure there are some longer cuts of some of the songs and I really hope they see the light of day at some point.

I love having connections.

Anybody know if they are planning any kind of collectors edition?

I can honestly see Daft Punk getting an Oscar nod for best soundtrack.

• Metal Head loves Disney

As a Soundtrack, it's perfect, but it could of used a little bit more of that Daft Punk Style we were expecting.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

• Banned User

• Metal Head loves Disney

Give it to KROQ to give a review that says everything every one else is saying. They have a bunch of lame fans anyways, why am I not surprised by them by now? I love NME, I have been reading their site for a few months now and I trust their reviews so much, and this review was by far a perfect example of their work.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

• Banned User

From the Seattle Times:
    Daft Punk 'Tron' sequel disappointing
    Daft Punk's soundtrack to the long-awaited "Tron" sequel breaks little new ground, though the old Daft Punk is alive and well. Other new releases this week include T.I.'s "No Mercy," Kevin Eubanks' "Zen Food" and "Endlessly." by Duffy.

DAFT PUNK "Tron: Legacy" (Walt Disney)
    Don't look at this soundtrack to the long-awaited "Tron" sequel as a next chapter; it's simply another way to explore tension and drama. The emphasis here is on classical orchestration rather than digital manipulation.

Leaving its keyboard beats at home, the duo worked with arranger Joseph Trapanese and an 85-piece orchestra.

The old Daft Punk is alive and well on "End of Line" and "Derezzed," and an exciting new version seems to be in evidence on "Outlands" and "Solar Sailer," but aside from these moments, "Legacy" lacks payoff. Strings build and dance, but quickly gone and feel like half-finished thoughts.
    By the end, this isn't a stand-alone experience. Context is required, making it more for fans of "Tron" than fans of Daft Punk.
    From the Chicago Tribune:
    2.5 stars (out of 4)

German electro-pop pioneers Kraftwerk made explicit the notion of men melding with their machines to create the music of the future. As heirs to that tradition, French duo Daft Punk have added a deep love of house music and their own futuristic visual pizzazz. If electronic music can be said to have a superstar “band,” Daft Punk is it. They’re in many ways the perfect choice to compose the soundtrack for the long-awaited sequel to Disney’s “Tron” franchise.

In the original 1982 movie, a programmer infiltrates the digital world with Wendy Carlos’ electro-symphonic soundtrack as a backdrop. On the “Tron: Legacy” soundtrack, Daft Punk loosely follow Carlos’ blueprint, blending their synthesizers with an 85-piece orchestra. The result is an album unlike anything Daft Punk has created, for better or worse.

The duo of Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter are essentially minimalists, rarely gussying up their lean dance tracks with anything more than absolutely necessary. “Tron: Legacy,” on the other hand, is big, grandiose, often foreboding. When the duo forsakes groove and focuses on crafting stately, layered melodies, they sound less like innovators and more like film-score novices, which they are. Next to the sinister genius of John Carpenter’s “Escape from New York” or Vangelis’ “Blade Runner,” the “Tron” soundtrack’s weakest parts tend to sound blandly overstuffed, as if Homem-Christo and Bangalter were reluctant not to use all the instrumental artillery put at their disposal.

They’re best when they find the sweet spot between electro-punk and pomp. Synthesizers spiderwalk over lean, whip-crack beats on “Derezzed.” “Rinzler” pulses with anticipation as strings and tympani rev it into overdrive. Orchestral flourishes punctuate a python-like groove on the title song – a near-perfect realization of what Daft Punk must have had in mind when they signed on to this project. It’s a hint of what may come, a bridge to something greater than this first, tentative attempt at a more ornate sound.

• Banned User

Wow, TRON: Legacy soundtrack available for download for only $3.99? True!
    Amazon.com: Tron: Legacy (Amazon MP3 Exclusive Version): Daft Punk: MP3 Downloads

The most harsh review I've come across but brutally honest...
    Tron: Legacy’ Soundtrack — Most Depressing Daft Punk Album Yet

It would be a fantastic understatement to say that we’ve been looking forward to hearing Daft Punk’s Tron: Legacy soundtrack since the project was announced last year. So there was no way we were skipping a listening party and Q&A with Tron: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski (moderated by the film’s music supervisor and KCRW Music Director Jason Bentley), co-presented by KCRW and Disney at Apogee Studio in Santa Monica. The French electro duo was not in attendance, though they could have been there without their helmets on, for all we know. Jump below for highlights from the hour-long discussion and music clips from the most highly anticipated soundtrack of 2010. (Sorry, Burlesque.)

Director Joseph Kosinski wanted Daft Punk (Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo) for the movie’s soundtrack not only because he’s a giant fan of electronic music, but because of the work Bangalter and de Homem-Christo have done outside of Daft Punk. (Bangalter did the score to the 2002 French movie Irreversible, and the duo made the film Electroma together.) He knew they were “more than just dance music guys… There’s a lot going on behind those masks.”

Kosinski explained that Disney expressed interest to the band, and when word got back that DP was also interested in the gig, he had a “pancake meeting” with the group at Café 101 in Hollywood to make it happen. They all had the same goal in mind: to create a “classic film score that blended electronic music and classical in a way that had never been done before.”

DP recorded the album across the pond at AIR Lyndhurst Studios in England, but the final mix was at Skywalker Ranch (which Kosinski calls “the most gorgeous slave labor camp”) in Northern California. Thanks to Daft Punk’s music, the folks at Skywalker called Tron: Legacy “the loudest film they’ve ever mixed.”
    Creating the soundtrack was a back and forth process that took over two years — Bangalter and de Homem-Christo would send over demos from their England studio to Kosinski in California. One particularly funny anecdote the director shared was the horror he had upon recieving an email from the band saying that they lost all the tracks on their hard drive, and they needed all the demos they had sent to him thus far to be shipped to some random address in France. Kosinksi called DP in a flush, and Bangalter said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Basically, Daft Punk fans are so desperate to hear new Daft Punk music, they’ll do whatever they can do get their hands on it.

We know you Punkheads are more interested in the music than anything else — so here it is. Kosinski previewed this track, “Adagio For Tron”, which takes place during a flashback sequence in the film. He calls the sweet and sorrowful tune “out of the box” for Daft Punk:
    Daft Punk - Adagio For Tron0:00 / 0:00Right-click and save as to download.

This next track, “Recognizer”, was also previewed at the listening party. Kosinski says this track shows up in the film when “3-D really kicks in”. It’s another threatening-sounding tune, and has some Inception-esque brass horn wails:

Daft Punk - Recognizer0:00 / 0:00Right-click and save as to download.

Pretty much all of the soundtrack is as dramatic and somber as these two tracks. (”Derezzed” seems to be the only truly upbeat, cheerful tune on the whole CD.) This isn’t Discovery Part II, or similar to any Daft Punk album you’ve ever heard, but it’s a gorgeous mix of classical and electronic. You won’t be dancing to this melancholy soundtrack – you may drive furiously in the rain while weeping, though. But still, it’s an evocative and cathartic listen.

As reported, the band does make a cameo in the movie, though the director had to persuade them to do it. “We have a nightclub scene, which is our [Star Wars] Cantina scene. It made sense that the house DJs would be Daft Punk.”

“They’re guys dressed as robots,” he says. “It’s not a huge leap.”

Unfortunately, don’t expect any live shows from the duo to promote the soundtrack — Kosinski says it’s unlikely. “They want this music married to the picture,” he says. “That’s the mystique of Daft Punk. But it works for them.”

Daft Punk’s Tron: Legacy soundtrack drops December 7. The film is released in theaters December 17.

-Becky Bain
    Tue Nov 23 2010
    After listening to the entire album, I'm going to have to agree with this critic (above), even though it's a film's score, it's very musically dull for what seems to be a fun film for the winter time. What should be an adrenaline rush, the track 'Disc Wars' sounds like we might be in for a Curling match on thin ice. Besides being musically repetitive all throughout, the only stand out tracks that my ears liked were 'Recognizer' (even though it sounds a lot like Inception at times, example: booommmm), 'End of the Line' (love the retro electronic/new wave 80s feel), and of course 'Derezzed' but I'll take Chemical Brothers 'Don't Think' tune over the whole Tron Legacy soundtrack for a fun electric music rush.
    Last edited by JMora; 12-07-2010 at 02:24 AM.

• Banned User

Daft Punk related & 100% real for a good laugh. This is real footage of a dance academy graduate hopeful who auditioned to be a dancer for EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival) for Los Angeles during an open casting call back in April, 2010. He dances to Daft Punk's 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.'

Here's interesting article on the Daft Punk, on who inspired them for the tron Legacy soundtrack/score, and it's no surprise who...
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...egacy-act.html
    Last edited by JMora; 12-07-2010 at 01:32 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

After listening to it for a full day yesterday, and being a collector of many film scores, I enjoyed the soundtrack.

Over the years, going to comic-con's Flynn's Arcade, Disney California Adventure's ElecTRONica and World of Color, going to the Tron Pop-Up Shop in Culver City, watching the many trailers... I've heard the majority of the cues written for this film. I liked what I heard and wanted it on CD. That finally happened.

For those expecting some crazy miracle of a soundtrack, sorry, but that's a ludicrous expectation. I got a film score and a good one at that. I do agree though that this is background music... really really GOOD background music. This is stuff I can play for hours on end while working. But while in the car, I need something a little more uptempo. (michael giacchino's Speed Racer fills that void nicely)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

There's a new Derezzed music video, it's very 80s retro Tron meets 2010 Tron, it premiered on MTV. Daft Punk are of course the stars of this music video, and find themselves in the grid or are they? I like the animal creatures...

PS: What also dropped this past Tuesday is Deadmau5's new album, '4x4=12,' an amazing set.
    Last edited by JMora; 12-08-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast