• Banned User

Disney kills off Invisble Woman?

Disney just doesn't like women in power do they? No, it's
    Spoiler
    Johnny Storm
    . Back in August, a call was even made the comic book will be no more either. WTF? Why? Oh, who really reads comic books these days? Spider-Man's girlfriend's have died & rise just has fast as Ghostrider's lost of readership of fans back in the 90s. X-Men orgins can only be told so many times, and I believe they all slept with each other, lol. Who remembers Spawn?

Disney wasted money on Marvel. For what? To attract the male audience.
    The title was just meant to throw you off, it's not actually the Invisible Woman that dies. Or is it?
    Because Marvel is now owned by Disney and Disney hasn't done anything right since The Little Mermaid, the death of one of the Fantastic Four was leaked prior to the comic's (issue #587) release later this week. Who was it? Gaaaaah, I don't know if I should tell!
    Though the majority of single-issue comic book sales are still largely seen as the product of a niche market, the biggest events in the lives of America's superheroes still rate with national news organizations hungry for an accessible water cooler hook. So it should come as no surprise that Marvel Comics has revealed to the Associated Press which member of their first family dies in "Fantastic Four" #587 in a story that's being picked up by several newspapers...
    The comic's creators also announced that the next issue (#588) will be the The Fantastic Four's last. Now, if you want to find out who dies and where the series is going from here, hit the jump where I've posted the rest of the story, but if you don't want to know then stop reading right this second because SPOILER: THEY ALL DO. Just kidding. Wolverine.
    Hit the jump to keep reading if you really want to know.
    The remaining members can always come back as 3some

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Disney kills off Invisble Woman?

for me this is a kinda who cares...the series is ok and when they kill off super hero's its a "last line" to revamp the series.

• Queen Elsa

Yeah who cares I never like the Fantasic 4 so no lost for me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I heard about this and then I heard that you could get the comic early and such... I am a comic book fan, but when I see a character is dying I call bull 9 times out of 10. Superman dying in like 1993 and then coming back in 12 different ways ruined the whole idea for me. It's sorta' like soaps... They can say someone is dead, show you the body, but in 5 years the character will be back. Wow I just realized I maybe the only soap opera and comic book fan.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I heard about this and then I heard that you could get the comic early and such... I am a comic book fan, but when I see a character is dying I call bull 9 times out of 10. Superman dying in like 1993 and then coming back in 12 different ways ruined the whole idea for me. It's sorta' like soaps... They can say someone is dead, show you the body, but in 5 years the character will be back. Wow I just realized I maybe the only soap opera and comic book fan.
    I remember trying to buy just about every special edition when Doomsday killed Superman, even the funeral issue. Ah, the 90s were the days of comic book glory =)

• Shablagoo!

Marvel comics Fantastic Four

So I read the issue and here are some thoughts.

Spoiler

First, The death was The Human Torch, Johnny Storm. However, he did not actually die in the comic. The last we see is him fighting an army of hundreds of thousands of Annihilus's soldiers in the Negative Zone. Annhilus is right there as well. Basically the chances of him winning are 0. However, we do not see a body. We do not see him ripped apart or anything of that sort.

Rules of Comic book death
    1. No body, no death.
    2. Even with a body, they may come back.

So why is Marvel touting this as a death? Simply because for the members of the Fantastic Four and the other heroes of the Marvel Universe, he is dead. We in the real world know he will be back someday. They, however, do not know that.

So why do it at all? Well for the next few years Marvel can explore stories of the surviving members and how they live without Johnny. The FF, unlike other teams, is a family, literally. The last few years of FF stories have been good. And someday Johnny will be back.

This death was not done for shock value. We knew it was coming. Of course we did not know which was going to die. Shock value would be something like the death of Ares during Siege. Now there was a poorly written death story.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Marvel comics Fantastic Four

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    I remember trying to buy just about every special edition when Doomsday killed Superman, even the funeral issue. Ah, the 90s were the days of comic book glory =)
    I remember my mom taking my brother to the comic bookstore, which was brand new in Rancho Cucamonga. Giving him this big lecture about how Superman is going to die and how big and important this is. So they bought the comic, my mom and dad read it aloud to us (because we weren't allowed to touch it), and then told my brother to preserve it.

Define glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    So I read the issue and here are some thoughts.

Spoiler

Rules of Comic book death
    1. No body, no death.
    2. Even with a body, they may come back.

Same rules apply in soaps. Seriously the two genres are really similar (how many illegitimate kids show up in X-Men?).