• let's talk Disney, okay!

Breaking the Fourth Wall

I saw this come up in a thread re: the Aladdin show when Al asks the audience what he should do with the lamp, and there seemed to be a lot of people against the idea of breaking the fourth wall.

I personally like it, if it fits in the context of the scene, and the concept of the show. For Aladdin, the fourth wall is broken constantly with all of the takes to the audience. I consider that breaking the fourth wall cause you are directly bringing the audience into the world of the play! Same as the cavalcade coming into the house for Prince Ali.

So What do you think? Breaking Fourth Wall good or bad?

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall

It depends on what breaking the 4th wall means to you. A lot of shows have elements that happen off of the stage, depending on the venue it's very effective at imersing the audience in the show. If it's actually interacting with the audience, I think it's good in some cases and a not in others.

In Aladdin, I love the way Genie interacts with the audience. He doesn't say, "Hey, what do you think of this?", but he looks to the audience and how long some of his runs go on seems completely driven by how the audience reacts to him.

In productions of Peter Pan, when Tink drinks the poison, Peter usually turns to the audience and asks them to clap to bring Tink back from the brink. I think that kind of audience participation is kind of corny.

• Mr. IncrediBall

I think it works for the show because of context of being in an amusement park, where people want to be involved and have the fun palpable. And I think that all adds to the experience.
    Now if it was at a legitimate theater show I think that would not have a place. You go and pay to be entertained and have to be sucked in to fill in time and be apart of the jokes.
    Now there is times where, like as in Lion King where they have dancers in the isle is good fun. But again you don't have to participate to be a part of the fun.
    So yes during Aladdin, not so much during a regular show.
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

I like it if it's well done, or if it fits the show. Aladdin is well done, in my opinion. Some shows it doesn't work well for, and they shouldn't do it.

I worked on one that was very strange, college thing, and it made a point of breaking the wall. It was fun.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.