Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Death Certificate on hand

Re: e-books - Have you switched over?

I've got a Sony PRS-505 [Personal Reader System] that predates the Kindle. I've had it for 3 years now, and my son has the newer touchscreen version. The Sony allows the most file formats of any reader that I can find, including .RTF files that can be created in any word processor.
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

This is something new for me. I have got so much knowledge about e- book readers here.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I have been enjoying the Amazon Kindle Beta app for the TouchPad. I plan to use it for as many of my textbooks as I can and any free books I can get, but I still plan to buy the actual book for most everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    I have serious space limitations, so lately I've been going the library for books. But it's a pain to have to order books from other libraries (I'm reading a series, and of course every other book is at another library).

I just got a Kindle last week (saw a deal I couldn't refuse) and have to say, so far, I love it. Amazon has quite a few discount/free books you can download too. I also have downloaded the Kindle app on my phone, and can catch up on my book anytime. I downloaded the phone app first, which made me want a real Kindle more.

I'm still going to the library for books too, but the Kindle is easy to carry around, I can read it at any angle, takes only one hand to hold and turn pages, and I love that I can adjust the font size. So, so far, I'm a big fan of e-readers!
    Check out your libraries online data base. Mine offers thousands of e-books that can be downloaded on to your Kindle or other E-reader. I just took mine with me to comic con which was a life saver! I am still having trouble not purchasing books especially with the closing of Borders.....I just love the feel of the paperback book in my hands. HOWEVER I do wish that Kindle would create a scanning system where you could scan all of your books and upload them into your database (and when I say scan I mean the ISBN numbers not the entire novel that would take forever!) There are some of my books that while I love them, if I could put them on my Kindle for free without having to re-buy them I probably would donate them. Just not my Harry Potters!

I have the amazon kindle and i love it! I read my kindle about 50% of the time and real books the other 50%. Lately, I've been spending too much money on kindle books because I read so fast (1 book day), I've started going to the library again! But amazon is having a $.99, $1.99, and $2.99 sale on some e-books!

• Circle of Ancients

I haven't yet ... but I've been thinking about getting a Nook mainly because I don't like hardcover books, and I'm tired of having to wait so long for the paperbacks to come out.

Anybody with a Nook have any thoughts regarding the 1st/2nd generation ones? I was either looking at the 1st generation or the 2nd generation regular nook (not the color).

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I can see some advantages for the e-readers. Somewhere I clipped a cartoon out of some magazine where two people are on a plane waiting to take off. One passenger takes out his e-reader with a smug look on his face, then they announce overhead that all electronic devices have to be turned off.. and the other passenger then smugly takes out a real book...

Yes I know that once the plane is in the air the e-reader can be turned back on, but I thought the idea of the cartoon was cute.

Myself, I still fall into the "real" category. I love books. I esp. love old books and spending hours in old used book stores. A couple of weeks ago at the swap meet I got a bunch of books for 50 cents each... A Winnie the Pooh book from the 50's, a couple of poetry books from the late 1800's, a cooking "textbook" from 1915! What a hoot that was! These are the kind of things I find fascinating that you can't get in e form.

Maybe some day I'll get one. But right now I'm good picking up reading matter for quarters or fifty cents at the swap meet. Many books I keep, some I put back into the system for someone else to read. At the school I work at now there is a bookshelf in the staff room where people can exchange books, so I use that when I can find something I want to read too.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband buys a lot of books. I have approached him many times with the idea of purchasing some type of e-reader. He adamantely refuses, even before I can finish the thought. He has all the standard answers about how he loves to hold an actual book, and read that. I remind him just how much he spends for all these books. I remind him how we are running out of places to store all these books. I then remind myself about how he earns all the money, so he should be able to spend it as he sees fit. So I dust his books sometime, and just hope that all the bookstores around don't go out of business.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I can see some advantages for the e-readers. Somewhere I clipped a cartoon out of some magazine where two people are on a plane waiting to take off. One passenger takes out his e-reader with a smug look on his face, then they announce overhead that all electronic devices have to be turned off.. and the other passenger then smugly takes out a real book...

Yes I know that once the plane is in the air the e-reader can be turned back on, but I thought the idea of the cartoon was cute.
    Always bring a magazine for the start of the flight, or spend the time browsing the SkyMall catalog!
    A signature should go here.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I have been enjoying the Amazon Kindle Beta app for the TouchPad. I plan to use it for as many of my textbooks as I can and any free books I can get, but I still plan to buy the actual book for most everything else.
    I picked up a TouchPad too and downloaded two free books throught he Kindle Beta app. I'm reading Sherlock Holmes right now. I'm not a bookwork, and I've been reeeealy busy lately. But when I've found little pockets of time and peace and quiet, it's been nice to open up the app to read a few pages. I'm definitely more of a comic book-worm. But because Comixology hasn't got an app yet for webOS, I'm still waiting to enjoy reading comic books on this thing. I tried doing it through their website on my TouchPad but didn't enjoy that experience. I assume an app would make the experience a lot more appealing. Fingers crossed that they'll develop one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I'm an "old school" advocate as well. While NNL has expressed a desire for a Nook, I still love the actual feel of a book - maybe it's the English teacher/librarian/former Borders employee embedded in me. Though I absolutely see the advantages of the e reader and definitely see their potential in the high school English classroom, personally I find books, especially books like the Art of Disneyland/Walt Disney World, etc. to be more rewarding to have in my possession. Fiction, paperbacks, and hardcovers, there's just something about opening the book and smelling the paper and feeling the spine bend that is pure enjoyment and satisfaction. And, even though I am usually careful with my books, sometimes after reading them more than once the spine cracks, which is also satisfying.

I'm a freak.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

As in an English teacher and an avid reader, I thought and thought about this. I love the feel and smell of turning pages and seeing how far I am in a given text. I knew I couldn't give it up. I knew I wouldn't enjoy going totally digital.

And then my husband got a iPad for Christmaskkah. I went ahead and bought my first ebook and figured I'd give it a whirl.

Maybe the book was better than I'm recommended, but being able to read in bed, in the dark, whilst he slept, well--I was hooked. Like many, I had to give over half of my 6000 book collection away to libraries to move here to Florida. I miss them already. But I'm thinking it's time to get another ereader.

I realize now, I'm more a techie than old-school. The story is the thing, really. A good story shines beyond the pages turning and keeps you emersed, even if it's digital ink.

THAT's more important to me. Lastly, I can post my own works, digitally into his iPad. Nothing like pretending to read my own book. It really helps with editing.

KEEP READING, NO MATTER WHAT!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I haven't yet ... but I've been thinking about getting a Nook mainly because I don't like hardcover books, and I'm tired of having to wait so long for the paperbacks to come out.

Anybody with a Nook have any thoughts regarding the 1st/2nd generation ones? I was either looking at the 1st generation or the 2nd generation regular nook (not the color).
    I just bought my husband the newest Nook, I think they're calling it the Simple Touch Nook. He loves it and he was pretty resistant to e-readers. He's a writer so I think he wasn't wanting to give into what he thought will eventually make books obsolete. I think the thing that sealed the deal was that my Kindle wasn't able to download a lot of library books because they don't come in the proprietary format that Kindle uses, or pdf. The Nook however accepts a lot of the different types of e-reader formats. He only had it a day, but it didn't take him long to register his device at the local library online and put a list of over 20 books on his library check-out list. When a book becomes available on your list, it's automatically downloaded to your Nook for 2 weeks. And it's FREE!

Also the Nook comes with new touch screen e-ink technology that allows you to navigate around by touching the screen and swiping you finger across the page to turn it. I admit I'm jealous my Kindle doesn't do this, but I'll bet you anything Kindle will be coming out with touchscreen tech soon enough. I still love my Kindle, though. One thing that really saves me time was getting to "try out" books before purchasing. A lot of my friends told me how much they loved the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and that I would love it too), and after reading the sample, I realized it wasn't really my kind of book, so I didn't purchase it.

Either way, there's lots of options out there for e-readers, and since we're coming into the fall retail season soon, you'll probably find some good deals out there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

I totally switched to eBook format when my High School made it compulsory to use an iPad instead of textbooks. I really think the iPad is a great reader because you can highlight, journal and make sticky notes on the text, especially in school.

Bought a kindle a few months ago and love it. At this point, if it's in Kindle format I get that versus a physical book. I'm out of space to store books at home so it was a must. Just wish I'd waited a few months to get my kindle as they just announced several new kindles including touch screen and a color "pad" type product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast