Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Just this guy......

Re: e-books - Have you switched over?

Major changes with the Kindle just announced today. Not only is there a color Kindle for only $199.00 but there will be a new Black and White Kindle for only $79.00. With several models in-between.

Kindle e-Reader with Wi-Fi, 6" Display

• Infinitized!

I haven't switched over yet, mainly because I'm unemployed right now and don't have a heck of a lot of money to buy extra toys. However, I do see an e-book reader great for fiction books. But I'm still going to buy regular non-fiction books as I use them for research etc.

Reading on a phone is painful. So I use a Nook for my e-reading purpose. It is just plain awesome. It has the latest generation touch screen display. Also it supports hundreds of apps.

Just got a Nook tablet. Not sure about e-books; when I look for a book, I want to be able to leaf through it and pick out which one I want. The samples they give you on the B&N site are just about useless- it's the first few pages of the book, but that's the flyleaf, title page, dedications... all the junk you generally skip. The table of contents is there, and somewhat useful, but that's it.

Also that buying e-books won't help real bookstores stay in business. So I'm still on physical books, because that lets me look through them.

I have zero reservations, though, about checking out e-books from a library. I'm told the LA library has an amazing selection, for those in the area, though I haven't checked into anything.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Just got a Nook tablet. Not sure about e-books; when I look for a book, I want to be able to leaf through it and pick out which one I want. The samples they give you on the B&N site are just about useless- it's the first few pages of the book, but that's the flyleaf, title page, dedications... all the junk you generally skip. The table of contents is there, and somewhat useful, but that's it.

Also that buying e-books won't help real bookstores stay in business. So I'm still on physical books, because that lets me look through them.

I have zero reservations, though, about checking out e-books from a library. I'm told the LA library has an amazing selection, for those in the area, though I haven't checked into anything.
    I totally agree with you about the B&N preview system. They really need to fix that.

I know that e-book don't keep stores in business, but the small stores were destroyed first by B&N, Borders, crown and other big box stores long before e-books were around. I personally like to by e-books from independent writers that way I know that my money is really going to the authors and I'm keeping them employed.

Yes, the LA Library system is awesome and a great way to get both e-books and audio books too. It's the one thing that LA City hasn't screwed up.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'm thinking about hooking up with Nook. One can sure save a lot of money on books....and I'm attracted to a variety of reading sources like a heavy metal guitar to a magnet!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Still lost in Neverland

I am in the same boat as loving to hold and read a real book, but since all the main book stores have closed and I really don't read books over again, I really had not been reading anything for a couple of years. I finally broke down and got a Kindle and now I am reading more than I ever have. It is easy to use, the books are cheaper than a real book and it's easy to take along to read on the bus or train going to Disneyland or work or anywhere. I now love my Kindle but have no need to get one of the color versions with all the extra stuff which I would never use anyway. I just wanted an easy, inexpensive way to read and the Kindle does that very well.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

My hubby has an original Kindle and he loves it. He finds the e-ink easier on the eyes than my LCD screen.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I've got a Kobo, which is certainly fraught with bugs, but I love it in general. I thought I might be the type to prefer hard books - and I still buy them, primarily for non-fiction - but once I got my e-reader I kinda' wanted everything on it ^_^

The main reason I have it is so that I can exploit Project Gutenberg. There is a tonne of stuff on there that I've been wanting to read but haven't been able to because staring at a computer screen for too long gives me migraines. E-readers don't, and so I have upwards of 200 books I've downloaded onto it (mostly old Victorian Sci-Fi, as well as a lot of fairy tales and Middle Ages literature). I've only just recently begun buying the odd book (translations of really obscure Victorian Sci-Fi novels, of course) from small press publishers that have started to switch over.

I've started accumulating some e-books, but things that I knew what I wanted. I figure if I go to the store and leaf through the books, that I should buy a physical book, but if I search for it digitally, then I'm good to get it on the Nook.

I do like getting the newspaper in the morning, though, on my Nook. If I read it, it's cool. If I don't, no big deal. It goes away next day. And no towering stacks of paper to dump!

• -

I have the Kindle app for my iPad and android. I don’t think that I would ever go back to reading the other way. I don’t need to have a book light for reading at night anymore. I can search for the book online and have it delivered within minutes. Even better, the Kindle will sync across your devices. For instance if I am out somewhere and find a little free time, I can pick up my phone and when I log into a book on the app, it will tell me what the furthest location read was and ask if I want to jump to that location. When I get back home and pick up my iPad to start reading the book again, it will jump ahead to where I left off while I was reading on my phone. You just can’t beat the convenience.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I haven't yet ... but I've been thinking about getting a Nook mainly because I don't like hardcover books, and I'm tired of having to wait so long for the paperbacks to come out.

Anybody with a Nook have any thoughts regarding the 1st/2nd generation ones? I was either looking at the 1st generation or the 2nd generation regular nook (not the color).
    I have the Nook color and I love it. The biggest difference (to me) between the regular nook and the color is that the color is backlit so that you don't need a reading light. If you are in bright light you just turn up the light and you can still read. Oh, and I don't know if the regular nook has touchscreen? That would be a big difference. I also love the apps like playing Sudoku on it:-) I just wanted it for reading so it took my daughters to show me features like accessing the internet (nice when I want to get on Micechat without going to the computer), pandora, etc.

As for "feeling a book in your hand", that was an issue for me but I recently got a cover for it, so it is like opening a book and having a book in your lap. Kinda funny but it really made a difference.

---------- Post added 01-19-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

Oh, also in general what I like about the e-reader is that if you are waiting for a book to come out you can pre-order it and download it as soon as it comes out. I pre-ordered the Jaycee Dugard book last summer and downloaded it at 7:00 am before any bookstores were open. It was nice cause all the places around here sold out pretty quickly.

I liked being able to download a book today before I forgot the title. I heard the author on the radio, and could still remember the title for a bit, and could download it.

Still like the feeling of a real book, so not giving them up, but it is nice having a few of them on the Nook.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123