Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Just this guy......

e-books - Have you switched over?

I was just wondering if the people here have switched over to e-books and which device do you like to use? (phone, kindle, nook.....)

• Banned User

Re: e-books - Have you switched over?

While I have the Amazon Kindle for PC program on my computer, and downloaded a few freebie e-books, I don't use it much. I don't have an e-reader, either. I might get one some day, I dunno. I'm not in any rush. Regular old books, magazines, & newspapers are still just fine with me.

Most of my current reading is a mix of throwaway freebie newspapers and internet news articles. I also listen to podcasts and watch the news voraciously. Haven't read a fiction book in years. I'll occasionally check out books at the public library, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the Kindle/Nook/other e-readers, I think they're pretty nice, actually. I just haven't been motivated to make such a large expenditure like that, since I'm not that big a book-purchaser.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I love books. Visiting the local book store to browse and have a coffee was once a high point of my week. Sadly, that is no longer my routine as I buy most of my books from Amazon or Apple in digital form. I miss paper books, but there is no denying the ease and convenience of having all my books with me on a single lightweight device.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

I have switched over to the Nook this year. My main motivating factor was when I had to move back home and had a ton of books to move, and limited space to move them back to. Since I take good care of my books I donated them to the local public library and have started to 'buy' them back in e-book form.

For me it is more of a space issue, but I have found it convenient to have so many books in one place without them taking up a lot of space at home. I did purchase the Nook with WiFi+ 3G and enjoy the daily book review, which has piqued my interest at times in books I never would've thought of looking into.

I purchased my Nook right before the Nook Color came out, but I enjoy the simplicity of my reader along with the very excellent battery life it provides. Of course to read at night I need a light, but you would as well with a real book so it doesn't really bother me.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

I am with Dusty on this one. I could spend hours in a used book store! But I don't hang on to all of the books I buy, just the ones that I could see myself re-reading. I sell back everything else. I supposed I could just go to the library and get them for free, but I take pride in helping out local economy. I buy the books from them, they make money, I sell the books back to them, they give me a buck or 2 in store credit, and then they put it back on the shelf for 5 bucks, and they make a profit again. WIN/WIN!

I really have been torn deciding on whether to buy a kindle or not. But there is just something about having a physical that I think I would really miss!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Seasick

I bought a Kindle a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. I don't regret the decision for a second.

I wasn't really interested in getting one, until my mom brought up wanting an e-reader for her birthday, and I looked into them. I didn't think I would like reading books on a computer-like screen, but I quickly learned they actually use e-ink technology, and the display is actually very paper-like.

I love the Kindle setup - buttons on either side in just the right spot. I can hold it with one hand or two, and no matter which hand I use I can flip pages with that hand. My mom wants a Kodo which I don't like, as the only spot to flip pages is in the bottom right. With the Kindle, I can hold it in just my left hand should I so choose, and flip pages with my thumb. Not so much with the Kodo.

Another nice feature that my mom wants, is the ability to change font size. A fantastic option for anyone with less than perfect vision.

It's small and light, and if I ever have the desire to buy a new book (when travelling for example), I just need to find a wi-fi hot spot. I passed on the 3G feature.

The only downside I've found so far is that it's not convenient to flip back to re-read something.

I have not tried reading books on my iPad, as I don't think I want to read on a backlit screen. I do love reading comics on it though. Apple has apparently patented a dual layer screen, that would allow for e-ink displays on the iPad. That could be the best of both worlds.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I've got the nook and love it, though I'm still about 50/50 with buying actual books. Since I'm a teacher, I have the excuse of buying and reading books for my classroom. After I read them, then they go to my class library. I use the nook a lot for traveling and for reading large books that I don't want to carry. (For example, I'm reading Gone With the Wind on my nook now.) I'm also lucky that I have a Barnes and Noble within walking distance of my house, so I like to take advantage of their free in-store downloads as well.
    A signature should go here.

• no flash photography...

I have not bought a book in years. I use the kindle and get ebooks. I also get emagazines on the ipad2.

The only magazine I get delivered is the national geographic, but if I could find the electronic version I would switch.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I have not tried reading books on my iPad, as I don't think I want to read on a backlit screen. I do love reading comics on it though. Apple has apparently patented a dual layer screen, that would allow for e-ink displays on the iPad. That could be the best of both worlds.

I do read quite a bit on the ipad too. I just adjust the brightness lower,

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I have a digital subscription to Architectural Record and free books on Kindle for Mac, but other than that I continue to build my library, which currently has just over 350 volumes. I am currently using my girlfriend's iPad 2, and I could see myself getting both the print and digital editions in the future (whenever the HP TouchPad and Pre 3 actually go on sale), but I am not sure yet. I like my books and I like my library.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm not one to do a lot of book reading, due to all the other hobbies that I have. My husband on the other hand is an avid reader. I have tried to talk him into some sort of reading device, and he is adamant, about "wanting to feel the book in his hands". The problem is that I am running out of places in my house to put all his books. The man doesn't even buy paperbacks. Most of his books are hard cover.

I'd love to have an iPad, despite the fact that my grandson says that it's just a glorified iPod Touch.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Most of his books are hard cover.
    I too love hardcovers, and leather bound is even better.

I'd love to have an iPad, despite the fact that my grandson says that it's just a glorified iPod Touch.
    Yes, they are the same operating system, but the presence of a larger screen changes what and how it can be used. I have a phone right next to me, but I am using an iPad because the larger screen makes browsing and reading significantly easier. Being smaller than my 15" MacBook Pro also a makes it easier to do lengthier reading, which I do frequently. The iPod touch is just an iPad with a lesser screen.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I have serious space limitations, so lately I've been going the library for books. But it's a pain to have to order books from other libraries (I'm reading a series, and of course every other book is at another library).

I just got a Kindle last week (saw a deal I couldn't refuse) and have to say, so far, I love it. Amazon has quite a few discount/free books you can download too. I also have downloaded the Kindle app on my phone, and can catch up on my book anytime. I downloaded the phone app first, which made me want a real Kindle more.

I'm still going to the library for books too, but the Kindle is easy to carry around, I can read it at any angle, takes only one hand to hold and turn pages, and I love that I can adjust the font size. So, so far, I'm a big fan of e-readers!

• Disneyland PAP

It's taken me about year for my mindset to go from "Absolutely not!" to "I want to buy a digital reader." When the iPad came out, I was definitely intrigued. But I knew it was simply a smartphone on steroids, and I realized that, for the price and my own personal habits, my Pre sufficed just fine.

Fast forward to now. I'm not the typical voracious reader, but I love me getting my comic books every Wednesday. And in the past few months, especially after HP announced their TouchPad, my need to have it on paper and, as others mentioned also, a concern about saving some space at home wore my old school ideas down. Yesterday, HP announced the TouchPad coming out on July 1, and I plan to dent my wallet hard to pick one up. I'm looking forward to finally diving in!

My thoughts were it's just an iphone without the phone, but now that I have one I love it. I use it all the time. It does so much so effortlessly. If I want to do something it does it and the larger screen is a huge plus. I'm sure my phone can do much of the same stuff, but I always reach for the ipad now.

The phone screen is just so small. I would not consider using it like I do the ipad2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast