Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Amy Winehouse found dead

UK singer Amy Winehouse found dead: report - Yahoo! News

Anybody surprised by this?

LONDON (Reuters) - British singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home in north London, Sky News reported on Saturday.
    Police said they had found the body of a 27-year-old woman at a flat in Camden Square, north London, after being called by ambulance services around 1500 GMT (11 a.m. EDT).
    They said they were treating the death as unexplained. A spokesman for the singer could not immediately confirm she had died.

• Infinitized!

Re: Amy Winehouse found dead

Kids the world over lost a great role model...

• Circle of Ancients

I just look at it as another example to talk to my kids about Drugs, and what they can do.

They have a LOT of examples of this.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Kids the world over lost a great role model...
    Like she's was the only musician to have done so? Some little respect. =} What I'm about to state is not directly to anyone but I find it amazing how people are making comments about Amy Winehouse being a crackhead and other nasty remarks. Yes, she did drugs and wasn't the most responsible person in the world. HYPOCRITES! Let her rest in peace, and may her troubled soul find peace.

It's really sad, and this woman obviously had great talent (wasted). I was hoping she would win the battle but the inner demon won. An addiction of any shorts is really hard on someone who, especially on someone who was missing something in her life deeply and she decided substitute it with something that gave her a sense of false love.

This was her last time on stage, just last month, it's heartbreaking to watch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmZp8pR1uc&ob=av2n

This was the last known commercial work from her, a cover of Lesley Gore's "It's My Party" for the Quincy Jones tribute album Q Soul Bossa Nostra that was back in November of 2010. Tony Bennett had chosen Winehouse and several other artists to duet with him on his forthcoming album Duets II (Tony Bennett album) scheduled for 20 September 2011 release.
    Last edited by JMora; 07-23-2011 at 10:40 AM.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Anybody surprised by this?
    Not in the slightest.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Banned User

People may crack a joke but I bet damn well someone knows an addict (family member, close friend, etc). Ya, at times it reveals stress about the subject but deep down. It's nothing to joke about but what's even more sad, Amy Winehouse just may have died for being SOBER.

Results are coming in, she was trying to defeat her inner demons and they just wouldn't let her go!
    Did 'cold-turkey' detox kill Amy Winehouse? Is that possible?

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-07/63584464.jpg Singer Amy Winehouse may not have been on a drinking binge when she died, her family claims (Stuart Wilson / Getty Images)

By Jeannine Stein, Los Angeles Times / For the Booster Shots blog July 28, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

Singer Amy Winehouse may have died from detoxing from alcohol too abruptly, her family allegedly claims in a story in the British tabloid The Sun.

While toxicology tests on Winehouse, who died Saturday, are still pending, her family supposedly told the newspaper that although the singer's doctor told her to stop drinking gradually, she might have ignored the advice and gone cold-turkey, a drastic process her body may not have been able to handle.

Can death result from a cold-turkey alcohol detox? Yes, says Dr. Karen Miotto, medical director of the UCLA Alcoholism and Addiction Medicine Service and an addiction psychiatrist, who spoke hypothetically about the situation, not specifically about Winehouse.

Cold-turkey alcohol detox may be dangerous for some people. "Often in our field we'll hear from people that they told their spouse not to drink and threw all the alcohol in the house away," Miotto says. "That's not a good idea -- they need to be medically evaluated first." Medication may be necessary to help wean the person safely off alcohol to prevent harmful and possibly fatal seizures as well as other severe symptoms such as delerium tremens. Other considerations for detox include how much and how long the person has been drinking, if there have been detox attempts in the past, if there is a history of prior seizures, and if other drugs or medications are being taken.

The brain, she adds, may reach a point where alcohol becomes necessary to function. "In its absence the brain can release chemicals, flight-or-fight hormones that are released in response to what it thinks is imminent danger." That can also raise blood pressure and pulse and put a person at greater danger for cardiovascular problems and slightly higher risk for stroke and heart attack.

That imbalance of brain chemicals can also up the risk for seizures and possibly death. "You can hit your head on the corner of a table or aspirate fluid" during a seizure, Miotto says.

"Unfortunately, addiction treatment is poorly understood," she adds. "Some people feel a lot of guilt and shame about their ability to stop, so they convince themselves they're not going to get treatment and go cold turkey."

But Miotto says addicts should not be embarrassed about seeking help. "A medically supervised withdrawal helps to give dignity to the condition, and it helps people have a chance at a clearer thought process so they can engage in treatment."

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times
    She did do rehab (having self-control of being the alpha), on her own terms, and still look what happened.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 07-28-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: removed hyperlink

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    NNope.. i saw it coming. i mean how could you not!?

---------- Post added 07-30-2011 at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    She did do rehab (having self-control of being the alpha), on her own terms, and still look what happened.
    uh ha. and if you don't stick to rehab and go everyday then you end up like her. She did not stick to her rehab enough..

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Dr. Drew says Winehouse reached out to him - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAY.com

"Just this morning, her parents put out some type of news release that suggests that what they believe she died of was alcohol withdrawal, which is a very interesting little theory," Pinsky posited. "It's wrong, it's not what she died of, I can virtually guarantee you."

In cases of fatal alcohol withdrawal, Pinsky said, "You get really really sick and you seize, and you become encephalopathic and confused, and your heart becomes erratic, and it's not like you just drop dead like her parents are suggesting."
    And hers is a tragic story. She really could have been one of the Greats. When she opened for the Rolling Stones across Europe a few years back before she was really known, Mick Jagger said she was one of the greatest talents he had ever witnessed.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

[QUOTE=JMora;1056585233...Yes, she did drugs and wasn't the most responsible person in the world. HYPOCRITES! Let her rest in peace, and may her troubled soul find peace.[/QUOTE]

Hypocrites?

Are you suggesting that we are ALL hopped up on cocaine, ecstacy, heroin and/or ketamine as we drink ourselves into oblivion and suggest that Amy Winehouse wasted her life?
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Hypocrites?

Are you suggesting that we are ALL hopped up on cocaine, ecstacy, heroin and/or ketamine as we drink ourselves into oblivion and suggest that Amy Winehouse wasted her life?
    No, he's suggesting what Jesus suggested - that if you are 100% free from fault, blemish, or error, that if you have lived a truly perfect life and have zero skeletons in your closet, if you have never once done ANYTHING wrong, feel free to throw the first stone. Otherwise, zip it.

Last edited by Retrocool; 08-01-2011 at 11:50 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    No, he's suggesting what Jesus suggested - that if you are 100% free from fault, blemish, or error, that if you have lived a truly perfect life and have zero skeletons in your closet, if you have never once done ANYTHING wrong, feel free to throw the first stone. Otherwise, zip it.
    Should we go ahead and run everything past you prior to posting to ensure we are compliant with WWJD? I mean, the only other option would be to post in compliance with the rules set forth by the MiceChat administrators which, I know... would be totally crazy! Am I right?!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    Should we go ahead and run everything past you prior to posting to ensure we are compliant with WWJD? I mean, the only other option would be to post in compliance with the rules set forth by the MiceChat administrators which, I know... would be totally crazy! Am I right?!
    I don't get your question. I was simply explaining what JMora was suggesting, and that it was very much like what Jesus had also suggested when it comes to passing judgment on someone else. My point being that this is an age-old question, and not some brand new phenomenon in the human experience. This isn't about me, and it isn't about "running things past me" to ensure "compliance" or anything else. I'm not abrogating your "right" to be a complete jerk. You want to be a jerk, go right ahead and be one. But don't act shocked when someone calls you on it, either.

Or is this just one of those general pseudointellectual whinefests wherein one can easily accept a quotation from Lao Tzu or Gandhi or Karl Marx but when the name of Jesus is mentioned, you see red and throw a hissy fit? Just wondering....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I don't get your question. I was simply explaining what JMora was suggesting, and that it was very much like what Jesus had also suggested when it comes to passing judgment on someone else. My point being that this is an age-old question, and not some brand new phenomenon in the human experience. This isn't about me, and it isn't about "running things past me" to ensure "compliance" or anything else. I'm not abrogating your "right" to be a complete jerk. You want to be a jerk, go right ahead and be one. But don't act shocked when someone calls you on it, either.

Or is this just one of those general pseudointellectual whinefests wherein one can easily accept a quotation from Lao Tzu or Gandhi or Karl Marx but when the name of Jesus is mentioned, you see red and throw a hissy fit? Just wondering....
    I don’t care if you reference Gandhi, Jesus, or the dark lord Satan himself when attempting to censor what other posters should or shouldn’t be discussing. “Suggesting” that someone “zip it”, when they are well within the forum rules, is just that. I’m pretty sure I’m not the one who is acting shocked for being called on something here.
    Last edited by BrodyDanger; 08-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

MiceChat is a discussion board where we discuss many topics, and as long as the basic rules of the site are followed everyone has the right to post their own opinions.

Amy Winehouse was a train wreck. Was she the only one? Of course not. Famous rock stars dying of addictions goes way back. Probably back even further than the 60's. Addictions are complex things with both chemical and psychological processes involved. When this story first broke, even her own mother stated that she wasn't surprised by the outcome.

As of right now the actual cause of death as not been released, it could take up to a month to get all of the test/autopsy results back. Until then, all we (and the rest of the planet) can do is speculate and discuss.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    I don’t care if you reference Gandhi, Jesus, or the dark lord Satan himself when attempting to censor what other posters should or shouldn’t be discussing. “Suggesting” that someone “zip it”, when they are well within the forum rules, is just that. I’m pretty sure I’m not the one who is acting shocked for being called on something here.
    OK, look, calm down. I'm not attempting to censor you or anyone else. All I was doing was attempting to explain someone else's viewpoint. Sorry you didn't dig the way I expressed it. Please, wipe your tears and breathe in & out. Put the phone down. Your lawyer does not need to be contacted in this situation. Relax.

Apparently, you feel entitled in passing judgment upon someone else, someone you don't even know personally. Well, OK, I guess that JMora & I can't persuade you to consider NOT passing judgment on others. You're bound and determined to pass judgment on others, no matter who you hurt or offend. I can only assume, then, that you feel as though you are 100% perfect and free from blemish as a human being. If this is in fact true, it would be quite remarkable indeed. Personally, I'm dubious.

I just wonder if you realize that if you pass judgment on others, others will also, equally or unequally, pass judgment upon you. I hope you're OK with that.

As to you being "entitled to your opinion" - opinions are like anuses. Everyone has one. I guess if you're entitled to your opinion, that means you're entitled to your anus (whatever that means). Which then begs the question - are you also entitled to show your anus to everyone, whether everyone wants to see it or not? If someone is offended by you showing your anus, is it still appropriate, or even good etiquette, to insist on showing it anyway?

Does it make you feel good to pass judgment on someone who is dead? Does it make you feel superior to pass judgment on someone who has an addiction? Maybe one day, you'll realize the truth.
    Last edited by Retrocool; 08-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast