• Disneyland PAP

CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012 - Side-Line.com

I found this link through The Digital Bits.

The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.
    CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012 - Industrial Music Facebook news at SIDE-LINE.COM

I'm in my forties, so the CD has been a big part of my life since I started buying/collecting them in the 80's. Not just pop music, but soundtracks. I remember selling a bunch of my LPs to a used record shop, then discovering not every album at that time had come out on CD yet. LOL

This is similar to trading in my DVDs for Blu-ray titles, except for me it's harder parting with CDs. I just enjoy the physicality of holding a jewel case with the CD in it and browsing through the insert or booklet inside as well as enjoying the packaging art. Ah, well...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012 - Side-Line.com

I'm still that way when it comes to certain releases (like ones from my absolute favorite bands). But I will admit most music I buy these days I do it digitally. Also, I currently have around 500 CDs and I don't really have much room left in my CD/DVD storage unit (which is 7 feet tall and bolted to the wall).

Oh and I still have a crate overflowing with all my vinyl. I just don't have the heart to part with it (plus I still have a turntable). Sometimes you just can't beat the "pop & hiss" that comes from playing a record.

Re: CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012 - Side-Line.com

Hmm, I find that a bit premature as CD's still hold the lion share of Music sales, though it is falling off pretty quickly. I'll wait and see at the end of 2012 to find out if it's true.