Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Disney + Menken fan

Re: The Little Mermaid Musical REBORN (In Europe)

REVIEW

This post will be a full review of the show compared to the Broadway show and movie.

Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  49.7 KB

Theater (Het Nieuwe Luxor Theater)
    The first thing you must know is that this is an touring production, why is this important? Because most touring production usually are seen as smaller or scaled down versions of there 1 theater only counterparts. The fun part is that The Little Mermaid doesn't feel like a touring show, it doesn't look scaled down or less than other big productions! I had tickets for row 3 on the far right of the stage, I could see everything very well so I was pleased by that.

The Show Act 1
    Before the show starts the sound of waves can be heard in the in the theater which set the mood. The show opens with the same OVERTURE as on Broadway. After that you'll get a musical piece which resembles the MAIN TITTLES from the movie. During this piece you'll dive under the sea and explore the ocean world and encounter Ariel and Flounder for the first time. You see them talking about something and swimming to the surface. Then we switch to the palace with Triton and his Daughters. They are having a celebration because it's been so many years since Triton became king of the sea and banished Ursula. As part of this celebration Sebastien has written a musical piece for the king aka DAUGHTERS OF TRITON. Ofcourse Ariel isn't there and Triton gets angry and swims off. Sebastian and the Sisters complain about Ariel not being there and about the fact that Ariel is Triton's little girl. We then switch to the surface where we see Ariel singing THE WORLD ABOVE. Directly after that Fathoms Below kicks in. We meet Eric, Grimsby and the Sailor Crew. We learn that Eric doesn't like being a prince and wants to live a live on the ocean sailing. Grimsby wants him to marry and take the throne because that is something he promised the king he would do before Eric turns 21. We also learn that Triton is the brother of sea witch Ursula. The song ands and Flounder then comes to the shore and talks with Ariel about the world above (Flounder has never been to the surface before) He tries to impress Ariel by saying he has been there many times before. They fool around and Scuttle comes flying in. Ariel has picked up a fork that was trow of the ship during FATHOMS BELOW. Scuttle explains it's function and also shows them a pipe. When they talk about the pipe's function of making music Ariel remembers the concert celebration and dives back to the palace. (HUMAN STUFF has been cut from this production) Triton finds out Ariel has been to the surface and reminds her that her mother was killed on the surface and humans where ones who did it. Ariel says that there is no evidence for that and it could have been something else. Triton gets mad and forbids Ariel to never go to the surface again. Sebastian gets appointed to watch Ariel to prevent her from going to the surface. Ariel swims of to her grotto and sings PART OF YOUR WORLD. Sebastian then enters her grotto and gets mad and wants to tell Triton about the human stuff. Ariel isn't really paying attention and sees thunder and swims to the surface. There is a storm at sea going on. Eric gets swiped of deck and Ariel saves him from drowning. When she lays him on the beach Scuttle and Flounder arrive. She sings PART OF YOUR WORLD REPRISE. Flounder is all sad because he loved Ariel as well but now sees she loves Eric. Grimsby arrives and scares them all away and takes Eric back to the castle. In the palace the Sisters are singing SHE'S IN LOVE. Flounder joins them and tells them that he is upset that she is in love with a human. The Sisters are shocked and want to tell Triton. We switch to Flotsam & Jetsam. They introduce Ursula and she sings DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL. We find out that Ursula has 7 older sisters which all have been daddy's little girl. Ursula was ugly and fat so her father gave her a magic shell instead of being daddy's little girl. With the magic of the shell she killed her sisters one by one hoping she would become daddy's little girl. But when all 7 where dead she still wasn't his little girl so she also killed him. When he died she became rules of the oceans and seas (and got the triton of her father) At that point her younger brother Triton came on scene and when he turned 18 he banished her and took back the throne (Ursula left with the magic shell and Triton got the triton) Then we switch to the surface at night and see Eric on the beach singing HER VOICE. We learn that Grimsby has planned a singing contest to find the voice Eric falls in love with so he can get married. We switch to under the sea where Sebastian tells Ariel to stay under the sea because of the beauty that can be found there. He sings UNDER THE SEA. Ariel isn't impressed and swims off leaving Sebastian alone. Triton swims on stage and asks if he knows what's going on with Ariel and where he can find her (he is joined by 2 of her Sisters and Flounder) Sebastian leads them to Ariel's grotto. Ariel is shocked that they all found her grotto and her human stuff. The Sister and Triton disapprove of her human stuff and love for Eric. Ariel gets mad at Flounder for telling she loves Eric. She also is mad at Sebastian for telling her hiding place. But Triton is even more mad and orders everyone to leave as he wants to talk to Ariel alone. He sings THE WORLD ABOVE REPRISE. After that he destroys her grotto and human stuff. He leaves and Ariel is left behind. She sings IF ONLY. Flotsam & Jetsam arrive and lure her to Ursula singing SWEET CHILD. Ursula sings POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS and Ariel trades her voice for a pair of legs. She swims to the shore and the curtain lowers. End act 1.
    Last edited by Xedex; 06-29-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Sounds good! Glad it's an improvement; I wonder if they would reconsider bringing it back to Broadway if it is well received here. (I know the Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey, where Newsies premiered, is currently planning a version. I wonder if it's going to secretly be the newer version).
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney + Menken fan

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Sounds good! Glad it's an improvement; I wonder if they would reconsider bringing it back to Broadway if it is well received here. (I know the Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey, where Newsies premiered, is currently planning a version. I wonder if it's going to secretly be the newer version).
    Thanks for the reply! I sometimes have a feeling none even reads this thread
    I wonder, I don't think it will come to Broadway fast. I think West End might be more of a possibility to bring it back in English. (I'd love to have an English soundtrack with the new songs, If Only, when Ariel her grotto is destroyed, singing/crying about If Only her father would understand her is a really powerful moment. I'd also love to have a low pitched voice Ursula again and hearing the English lyrics to Daddy's Little Girl) We'll see how well it does in Russia and Italy and hope it will go around the world! I think Australia might also be a fair bet for an English production.

Realy? I didn't knew they were doing a Mermaid show! I think they'll go the roadway route though..

~Dex

---------- Post added 06-29-2012 at 02:45 PM ----------

The Show Act 2
    The show opens with a small ENTR'ACTE (which is the last piece of music that you heard at the end of act 1, instrumental POUR UNFORTUNATE SOULS) We start with Ariel falling down on the beach after trying to stand up. Sebastian, Flounder and Scuttle arrive and Sebastian gets mad and wants to tell Triton about this all again. Ariel who can't speak puts on a really sad face and Sebastian is won over once again not to tell. Flounder is a bit scared by al this and watches silently form the side. Ariel is sad and scared to and doesn't want to walk. Scuttle convinces her to be more positive and that it will work out in the end and sings POSITOOVITY. Ariel slowly learns to walk and becomes more happier. Flounder tries to act like the sea gulls (more positive and proud) because he still wants to impress Ariel. Then we switch to the mermaid palace and hear Triton talking about having regrets that he acted to hard upon Ariel and destroying her stuff. He sends out some people to search for her. We Switch to Eric's castle where Ariel is getting a bath. The people in the palace are wondering what she is thinking. At the moment they say that she starts singing SOMEWHERE BEYOND MY WILDEST DREAMS. We switch to the kitchen where Chef Louis is preparing dinner and he sings LES POISSONS. We then go to dinner where Ariel sees a fork and uses it as hair brush. She also takes Grimsby's pipe and blows on it. We then get LES POISSONS REPRISE which ends in chaos. Eric and Ariel run away laughing and end up in the ball room. Here Eric talks about that he really likes Ariel and that he can understand her without her saying a word. He sings ONE STEP CLOSER. We switch under the sea where Ursula has been watching Ariel and Eric. She despises that all is going so well and sends Flotsam & Jetsam to stop Eric and Ariel from kissing. She sings DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL REPRISE in which she sings about Triton being really stressed out because he can't find his daughter. And that her magic shell will help her take back the throne soon. We switch to a blue lagoon where Ariel and Eric are in a rowing boat. Sebastian hides in behind some reed. He sees that Eric doesn't dare to kiss Ariel. He sings KISS THE GIRL. Right before they kiss Flotsam & Jetsam swim by and shock the boat. (now comes a strange thing, my production booklet says that SWEET CHILD REPRISE plays after this but I can honestly not remember it being there :S. I hope it's there because I like it, but I'm not sure it really is) We switch back to the palace where Ariel is all sad on her bed because tomorrow is Eric his birthday AND the contest to find him a wife. Eric is at the shore again and is singing about being confused because he really likes Ariel but still hasn't found 'that voice' and with it the lady that saved him. They sing the first part of IF ONLY. Sebastian enters Ariel's bedroom and sings about the fact that he really wants to help her but he just doesn't know how to. We also see Triton being really despread because they can't find Ariel. They sing IF ONLY QUARTET. We switch to the mermaid palace to find that Flounder and Sebastian can't hold it any longer and tell Triton al that happened. Triton is scared and shocked and swims of to find Ursula. We switch back the next day to the palace where the contest has started to find the voice. THE CONTEST. The voice he looks for is not there. He lets Ariel dance and then decides he doesn't need the girl with the voice and chooses Ariel instead. When the want to kiss GIANT Ursula arives singing with Ariel's voice. Eric is shocked and doesn't kiss Ariel. Ursula tells Ariel the spell is over and drags her from the party away. She also smashes Eric to the floor. We switch to under the sea where we can see Flotsam & Jetsam pulling Ariel under water by her tail. When they arrive at the bottom of the sea Triton apears. Ursula sings POOR UNFORNATE SOULS REPRISE. In which she swamps Ariel's soul for Triton's gaining his triton and becoming ruler of the ocean. Ariel watches all this and notice the magic shell again. (During POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS she recalls her father saying Ursula will die if the shell breaks) She snatches the shell and gets her voice back. She hold it high above her head as if she would smash it. Ursula quickly acts normal and asks who she believes. Your father? who lied more than once to you. Saying humans are bad, Ariel replies with that they weren't and that she loves one. Your father who also said the world above was evil? She replies saying No, it was wonderful. 'He even said those humans killed your mother!' At this points Ursula is shocked because Ariel quickly asks If it weren't humans, who was it? Was it you? Ursula doesn't response well (very nervous) making up many excesses who may have done it (sharks, ships, disease ect) Ariel then knows Ursula killed her mother and smashes the shell in pieces. Ursula literately explodes with her tentacles getting ripped apart and Ariel takes the triton back. The explosion has blasted her away and she quickly swims back to her father. Ariel and Triton unite singing IF ONLY REPRISE. Triton accepts Ariels wish to be with Eric. All her Sisters, Flounder and Sebastian arrive and Triton uses his triton to transform Ariel back to a human again and she swims to the surface. Eric is there and sees Ariel. She speaks and Eric is very happy it was her voice all along. The ship arrives with Grimsby and the Sailor Crew. Some of the Sisters come to the surface as well with Triton, Flounder, Sebastian and Scuttle. Triton introduces himself to the humans and Eric asks for Ariels hand. Triton replies by saying she can speak for herself now and she says yes. Grimsby is happy because Ariel is royalty and therefore Eric can take the throne. They all sing PART OF YOUR WORLD FINALE and the show ends.
    Last edited by Xedex; 06-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    ~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

The Full show!!! Quickly listen before it'll be removed!

DISCLAIM! This was NOT recorded by me! And I'm not promoting recording shows, just buy the CD when it comes out (end August/start September)

~Dex

--------------------

AAAAAND these are gone as well~ So we'll have to wait for the CD to come out.
    Last edited by Xedex; 08-09-2012 at 02:58 AM.
    ~Finding Nemo

Thanks for the info! There's a production based off this one opening tomorrow in nearby Sacramento, California. I'd love to check it out, though wasn't too fond of what I'd seen and heard of the Broadway version. Glad to see some of the problems I had have been addressed.

• Disney + Menken fan

Quote Originally Posted by TifaOnACloud View Post
    Thanks for the info! There's a production based off this one opening tomorrow in nearby Sacramento, California. I'd love to check it out, though wasn't too fond of what I'd seen and heard of the Broadway version. Glad to see some of the problems I had have been addressed.
    Ah that's really interesting! The site states that it will include new songs (probably talking about Daddy's Little Girl or In Only (Ariel solo)) I hope they will release footage of it so we can compare, and have an English recording of the new songs!

~Dex
    ~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

Photo Flash: Complete Look at Jessica Grové and More in Music Circus' THE LITTLE MERMAID
    This site had some pictures of the Sacramento show and I can see them being inspired when it comes to the mermaid/men tails but all else looks Broadway (like Ursula)
    ~Finding Nemo

Thank you so much for all of this information! Personally I liked the Broadway version of the show, but I definitely saw it had its flaws.

I really hope this goes to an English-speaking country, and maybe they can even bring back Vanessa and cut out all of Scuttle's songs. That guy is annoying.

But thanks so much, and any information you hear, please post! I've been so anxious to find out about this stuff!

• Disney + Menken fan

Quote Originally Posted by CF5397 View Post
    Thank you so much for all of this information! Personally I liked the Broadway version of the show, but I definitely saw it had its flaws.

I really hope this goes to an English-speaking country, and maybe they can even bring back Vanessa and cut out all of Scuttle's songs. That guy is annoying.

But thanks so much, and any information you hear, please post! I've been so anxious to find out about this stuff!
    You're welcome! I hope people like this tread (even though not a lot of people comment here on the theatre boards)

I don't think they'll do a production that has Vanessa soon (I would love it though) I think from now on we will see a lot like this one and maybe a far future revival, I hope Disney will do revivals, will have a new take once again.

------

NEWS The CD will be released on August 17 this year!
    http://www.bol.com/nl/p/the-little-m...0004012431819/

Tracklist: (I added the original tittles)
    As you can see the final list does not include: Human Stuff, I Want The Good Times Back (+Reprise) and Sweet Child Reprise.
    The new songs are: Daddy's Little Girl (+Reprise) and If Only (Ariel solo)

1. Ouverture
    2. Dochters Van Triton -Daughters Of Triton
    3. Het Bovenland / De Duistere Diepte Benee - The World Above / Fathoms Below
    4. Daar Ligt Mijn Hart - Part Of Your World
    5. De Storm - The Storm
    6. Daar Ligt Mijn Hart (Reprise) - Part Of Your World (Reprise)
    7. Ze Is Verliefd - She's In Love
    8. Pappie's Kleine Meisje - Daddy's Little Girl
    9. Haar Stem - Her Voice
    10. Onder De Zee - Under The Sea
    11. Het Bovenland (Reprise) - The World Above (Reprise)
    12. Ik Wou Maar / Lief Kind - If Only / Sweet Child
    13. Ja, Het Leven Is Zwaar - Poor Unfortunate Souls
    14. Pozetieverik -
    15. Mooier Dan In Mijn Mooiste Droom - Somewhere Beyond My Wildest Dream
    16. Les Poissons - Les Poissons
    17. Les Poissons (Reprise) - Les Poissons (Reprise)
    18. Zonder Woorden - One Step Closer
    19. Pappie's Kleine Meisje (Reprise) - Daddy's Little Girl (Reprise)
    20. Kus D'r Dan - Kiss the Girl
    21. Ik Wou Maar - If Only (Quartet)
    22. Het Concours - The Contest
    23. Ja, Het Leven Is Zwaar / Ik Wou Maar (Reprise) / Finale - Poor Unfortunate Souls (Reprise) / If Only (Reprise) / Finale

~Dex
    ~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

The Full CD is on Youtube!

First of all this is the new Overture! It starts of like Broadway but when it changes the curtain will rise to reveal the under water world and give us a peak of fishes mer-people and more! The end of this song leads into the palace of Triton where the royal celebration has just started to honour the day that Ursula was banned (which goes into the performance composed for this special event aka 'Daughters of Triton')

Overture!

Daughters of Triton

After Daughters of Triton everyone is upset because Ariel wasn't there so they all swim away searching (and Trition orders Sebastian to be Ariels personal guard) We switch to the shore where we FIND Ariel singing about the beauty of 'The World Above'

The World Above

---------- Post added 08-27-2012 at 09:58 AM ----------

Understudy Jantien Euwe performing 'The World Above'

~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

At the end of 'The World above' we see Eric's ship sailing in which leads into 'Fathoms Below'

Fathoms Below

Ariel, after hearing all/seeing all that really wants live in 'The World Above' and she tells us about it during 'Part of Your World'

Part of Your World

Understudy Jantien Euwe performing 'Part of Your World'
    ~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

We hear a storm rumbling above the shore!

Storm at Sea

Ariel saves Eric from drowning and after that she finds out she fell in love with him and wants to be part of HIS world for sure!

Part of Your World (Reprise)

But it didn't go unnoticed Sebastian,Flounder and Scuttle all saw it! And they aren't the only ones that notice that Ariel is behaving 'strange' aka in LOVE!

She's in Love

Understudy Evert Jan Korving performing 'She's in Love'

~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

After Founder by accident tells the Sisters that Ariel is in love with a human they all swim off in terror leading us into Flotsam and Jetsam who introduce us to Ursula. Ursula is plotting a way to get back her power and take revenge on Triton.

Daddy´s Little Girl

Meanwhile Eric is can´t forget the voice of the girl that saved him and night after night he searches the shore for THE voice.

Her Voice

Understudy Mischa Kiek performing ´Her Voice´

Ariel is still in love with the world above and Eric. Sebastian tries to make her see that the world under the sea is better than the world above.

Under The Sea
    ~Finding Nemo

• Disney + Menken fan

Triton swims by and demands Sebastian to tell him where Ariel is. He leads him to her grotto and he destroys it in a rage.

The World Above (Reprise)

Ariel is deeply hurt and hopes that one day her father will understand. Flotsam and Jetsam swim by and tell her they DO understand and that they know someone who can help her.

If Only - Sweet Child

Flotsam and Jetsam take her to Ursula who will help her become human

Poor Unfortunate Souls
    ~Finding Nemo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123