Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Wink The Book of Mormon and Disney

Just saw The Book of Mormon at the Pantages last night. My family, friends, and I absolutely loved it. As a Disney fan, I was especially pleased to hear and see all of the Disney references throughout the show, whether it be the parodies of the "Circle of Life" and "Hakuna Matata" or the very noticeable music chords of the "Fantasmic! Theme" during the Orlando scene. Has anyone else seen the show? Has anyone else picked up on the Disney references and parodies?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Re: The Book of Mormon and Disney

There was a thread on a Broadway-related forum that discussed the numerous references between BoM and big musicals/Disney. Wicked is the only other reference that comes to mind, but there are far more than you know!

• I'm a Lutheran

Didn't even know about that forum, lol.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• a damsel not in distress

i'm seeing book of mormon in december and i had no idea about the disney references! i'll definitely be looking for them now.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    i'm seeing book of mormon in december and i had no idea about the disney references! i'll definitely be looking for them now.

lol...me too! :P
    For the love of Disney....

• Minion

People talk about Walt rolling over in his grave about changes made to the park, debating whether he would or would not like the changes that have occurred over the years. LOL.
    I can imagine what he would have thought about the images of his park being used in a musical play that offered the ultimate blasphemy at God, and according to a friend of mine who saw it, brought up quite a few other issues that the audience apparently was laughing at profusely. Issues that if you saw reported in a newspaper would repulse most people.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I haven't seen it, but heard the soundtrack. It is definitely a tongue 'n cheek look at how Disney has influenced peoples perceptions about the world around them.

---------- Post added 11-05-2012 at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    People talk about Walt rolling over in his grave about changes made to the park, debating whether he would or would not like the changes that have occurred over the years. LOL.
    I can imagine what he would have thought about the images of his park being used in a musical play that offered the ultimate blasphemy at God, and according to a friend of mine who saw it, brought up quite a few other issues that the audience apparently was laughing at profusely. Issues that if you saw reported in a newspaper would repulse most people.

Well, seeings as it was made from the people who brought you South Park, you really have got to guess that they would probably ruffle a few feathers....

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are amazing. They poke fun at everything and everyone. Not much people do that these days.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Insomniac

Yeah a play that degrades a particular religion being tied to Disney... Sounds completely terrible and unnecessary personally.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Also if you're a Sound of Music fan "I believe" will sound very familiar to you. "I have confidence" anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/DreamImagineCreate

Home of Miniature Disneyland

The parodies in BOM are awesome.

Opening sequence of BOM = Opening sequence of Bye Bye Birdie
    You and Me = Wizard and I from Wicked
    Man Up = One More Day from Les Mis (though not everyone agrees with me about this one)
    Joseph Smith American Moses = Small House of Uncle Thomas from King and I

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I haven't seen it, but heard the soundtrack. It is definitely a tongue 'n cheek look at how Disney has influenced peoples perceptions about the world around them.

---------- Post added 11-05-2012 at 08:49 PM ----------

Well, seeings as it was made from the people who brought you South Park, you really have got to guess that they would probably ruffle a few feathers....
    True that. When my friends and I bought the tix I was unaware of the fact they were the ones who penned it. I later became aware of it and went anyway. So me to blame for sure. Of course, I had never seen South Park so didn't know just how bad it would be. I had heard things about the TV show, but had no idea just how bad.

The song "Turn It Off" kind of reminds me of a song from "Damn Yankees" about "We've Got To Think About The Game".
    If you people think the musical would "make Walt roll in his grave", then I can only imagine what you think he would think of the fact that the composer of said musical is also writing music for Disney movies, theme parks, etc. Robert Lopez wrote the songs for the recent "Winnie the Pooh" (with his wife voicing "Kanga") movie, the "Finding Nemo" stage musical at DAK, and is currently working on the resurrected (thawed?) Snow Queen project, now titled "Frozen".
    Personally, I don't care what people think, I really like "The Book of Mormon" and if you haven't heard the songs, I should warn you that not only might you be offended, but you could find yourself hooked on some very catchy tunes. As far as "degrading" Mormonism, the creators didn't really invent anything new, as everything presented in the play is, if I understand, straight from the real book, or from the teachings of the Mormon Church.
    And the church itself as a whole, couldn't have that much of a problem with the show, and in fact, they seem to be capitalizing on its popularity, taking out several full page recruiting ads for the church in the Playbill! At least in the touring production at the Pantages. I don't know about the rest of the tour, New York, or the upcoming London production.

I saw the show last month in LA. It was fantastic and hilarious! The music was written to 'mock' other Broadway shows. That's why a lot of the songs sound familiar. After all, it was done by the South Park team who are notorious for poking fun at anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    The parodies in BOM are awesome.

Opening sequence of BOM = Opening sequence of Bye Bye Birdie
    You and Me = Wizard and I from Wicked
    Man Up = One More Day from Les Mis (though not everyone agrees with me about this one)
    Joseph Smith American Moses = Small House of Uncle Thomas from King and I
    'All American Prophet' is also a parody of Jesus Christ Superstar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast