• Circle of Ancients

Music Review - Rush: Snakes and Arrows

So your saying to yourself ... Self, how is it possible that Gregg is reviewing the new Rush album, 2 weeks before it's released.

Well, I managed to secure myself an official early copy.

And I must say ... WOW. Just Freakin' WOW.

First and foremost, usually when a band comes out and says "This is our best album in 20+ years" you have to say "Yeah Right". Even me, as a Rush fan was kind of saying that. Especially considering that my favorite Rush album (Presto) was only released 18 years ago.

With that being said, I'm not sure it's their best album ever ... but it's got to be in the top 5. (Taking into consideration they now have 18 studio albums, this is no small feat after 32 years)

If you have heard the single "Far Cry", well, let me say you haven't heard ANYTHING yet. This album, quite honestly is the most emotional album they have ever put out. From track one, through track 13 this album is great and bears listening to again and again.

And trying to put my worship of the band aside, if you are not a Rush fan, I urge you to give this album a try. It's not your typical Rush album. There is hard stuff to be sure. But alot of low-key tunes and yes, even a mandolin. And yes, they have put a little "Keys" back into a couple of songs, but it's not over-bearing.

The musicianship is at it's best, maybe ever. Alex's guitar riffs are some of the best he's ever done. Geddy's bass is as always flawless and you will hear none of the high-pitched vocals that may have turned you off from past albums. And of course with Neil on drums, you can't be dissapointed.

I seriously can't contain my excitement for you all to hear the album. It's seriously the best album I've heard from ANY artist in at least 5 years.

I can't wait to get my hands on the enhanced DVD edition that will be coming out on June 5th. This CD is definately worth the extra money.

So mark your calendars for May 1st. Log onto your I-tunes, go to Best Buy or however you get your music these days. But get it!! You will not be dissapointed.

Just to clarify:

CD is released on May 1st
    Enhanced DVD is released on June 5th

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Music Review - Rush: Snakes and Arrows

cool. I'm tempted to go see them on tour again this time around. they are coming here in June.

• Circle of Ancients

July for SoCal. Can't wait.

• This space for rent

Glad to hear you liked it, I'll def give the previews a listen once they're available on iTunes to see if I want the whole album or not.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Baghira View Post
    Glad to hear you liked it, I'll def give the previews a listen once they're available on iTunes to see if I want the whole album or not.
    If you go to www.rush.com you can hear all of Far Cry and portions of a couple of other songs.

• This space for rent

Thanks for the info/link. I went there and only heard Far Cry couldn't find or hear anything else from the album.

Cool! I've long been a Rush fan to my husband's general dismay.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

After having the CD for a few months, it's odd.

Songs that were my favorites are still among my favorites. But now there are a few songs that I didn't really care for at first, that I REALLY like now.

There are the ones I like musically (Spindrift, Far Cry, Malignant Narcisism) and there are others that I like lyrically (Faithless, Good News First).

I just love after having an album for a few months, and probably 20 or so listens that you can find new things to love about it. I mean, with their previous album Vapor Trails, while a GREAT album in it's own right, I listened to it about 10 times before I was done with it. Now I listen to it maybe once a year. I don't see that happening with Snakes and Arrows.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

I was scared that this album was going to be worth the hype but I was surprised that it was actually really good! I am more of a metal fan but I do love my progressive rock and these guys are the kings of prog.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!