• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Legally Blonde' on Broadway

Bell Bundy is Legally Blonde, Opening April 29

By Zachary Pincus-Roth
    Playbill.com
    29 Apr 2007

Laura Bell Bundy stars in Legally Blonde.
    photo by Paul Kolnik
    Legally Blonde, the new musical based on the Amanda Brown novel and the 2001 film of the same name, opens at Broadway's Palace Theatre April 29.

Jerry Mitchell, who won a Tony Award for choreographing La Cage aux Folles, is making his Broadway directorial debut for the new musical, which began previews April 3. Mitchell is also the choreographer on the show, which ended its out-of-town tryout at San Francisco's Golden Gate Theatre in February.

Laura Bell Bundy (Hairspray, Wicked) plays sorority girl Elle Woods, who gets dumped by her boyfriend and follows him to Harvard Law School. About the differences between the "Legally Blonde" film and the Broadway musical, Bundy recently told Playbill.com, "The relationship between Emmett [played by Christian Borle] and Elle is more complex [in the musical], and it's a more strongly grounded friendship, and it helps Elle succeed in school. That really wasn't the case in the film, where he was this kind of outside character looking in on Elle and interested in her. In this case, Emmett is doing the same thing, but he [uses] 'tough love' a little bit. He's like, 'Listen girl, you came from a rich family. I came from nothing. If you're going to prove yourself, you've got to do it on merit, because every one of these bluebloods is coming in here with an advantage that you don't have.' . . . [There's also a] difference between Paulette [played by Orfeh] and Elle, just because of the nature of the differences between me and Orfeh and Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Coolidge [who played the parts in the movie]. She still provides that relief of someone I can talk to. And we have a Greek chorus, which is basically my sorority girls coming to life in my head — like, good and evil."

The Blonde cast also includes Christian Borle (Spamalot) as Emmett, Orfeh (Saturday Night Fever) as Paulette, Richard H. Blake (The Wedding Singer) as Warner, Kate Shindle (Cabaret) as Vivienne, Nikki Snelson (Off-Broadway's How to Save the World…) as Brooke and Tony Award winner Michael Rupert (Sweet Charity, The Happy Time, Ragtime) as Professor Callahan.
    Legally Blonde has music and lyrics by both Laurence O'Keefe (Bat Boy: The Musical, Cam Jansen and the Curse of the Emerald Elephant, Sarah, Plain and Tall) and Nell Benjamin (Cam Jansen, Sarah, Plain and Tall, The Mice) and a book by Heather Hach (the film "Freaky Friday"). James Sampliner serves as music director. Orchestrations are by Christopher Jahnke.

The production features scenic design by David Rockwell, costume design by Gregg Barnes, lighting design by Kenneth Posner and Paul Miller and sound design by ACME Sound Partners.

The show is produced on Broadway by Hal Luftig, Fox Theatricals and Dori Berinstein, in association with MGM Onstage, Darcie Denkert and Dean Stolber.
    For more information visit www.legallyblondethemusical.com.

Orfeh and Laura Bell Bundy star in the Broadway production of Legally Blonde.
    photo by Paul Kolnik
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107641.html

'Legally Blonde' Broadway-Bound - USA TODAY 4/25/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...legally+blonde
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: 'Legally Blonde' on Broadway

WTF?!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

My mom keeps hoping I get free ticket to this through work. So far, no luck. But we'll see.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

surprisingly, i enjoyed the movie. dont think the musical will do it for me

• Senior Minion

I loved the movie, it's like my motto. But as a musical? Not for me.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The movie was... cute.

Has Broadway turned into Hollywood with running out of fresh ideas?

• Happy Memories

I'm sure there are plenty of original ideas out there somewhere. They just aren't getting produced because the people who put up the money to make them happen want a known commodity that they think will give them a better return on the investment.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

That's very true. Walt Disney used a similar path in utilizing exisitng source material with fairytales and adapting the storylines and characters to fit the studio's versions such as 'Snow White' and 'Cinderella'. 'Peter Pan' was certainly not an original Disney idea but it's version of it is.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Legally Blonde
    (Palace Theater; 1,691 seats; $111.50 top)

'Legally Blonde'

BY David Rooney
    Variety
    April 29, 2007

Omigod, Broadway totally has a new princess. In much the same way Tracy Turnblad sashayed into town in "Hairspray" or the budding "Wicked" witches touched down, Elle Woods beams in from planet Malibu via Harvard Law in "Legally Blonde," bringing girl-empowerment aplenty. While the hit 2001 MGM film was a cute premise in search of a plot, kept afloat by Reese Witherspoon's dazzling charisma, the musical trades up on the original model in both character development and infectious comedy. It may not be bulging with subtext or boast a score for the ages, but this pinksapoppin funhouse delivers exactly what it promises.

Working from Amanda Brown's novel and Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith's screenplay, book writer Heather Hach has added definition to the story's generic message about being true to yourself and not judging people by their packaging. As in her major previous credit, Disney's delightful 2003 "Freaky Friday" remake, Hach dispenses those life lessons with a disarmingly light touch.

Full review at:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=33&cs=1

• Former Epcot CM

Oh dear. I walked past the theatre in Times Square last month where there were pink ads emblazoned all over the building, and I shuddered. The film was surprisingly okay, but as a musical? Come on!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

i've heard that it is very good.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Seems like word of mouth is pretty good for this show.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I saw this when it previewed in San Francisco. I thought it was pretty cute. There were some lines lifted directly from the film and there was some new material added. I think they could have done a little better with Elle's wardrobe, but all in all, I enjoyed it. Some of the dancing was amazing and the most athletic I have seen on stage ever.

I also saw this show in San Francisco. I am a big fan of musicals and found Legally Blonde to be very enjoyable. I saw it the first night and it seemed like some details still needed to be worked out, but often changes are made in between the World Premiere and Broadway. I can not wait for the Original Cast Recording CD to come out.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

It Preveiwed here in San Francisco, Sold Out performances, and exellent reveiws.

Maybe because i didnt see it it will do great! I didn't see 'Wicked' either! Both Hits.

I did see "Lennon" and "Lestat"--- Both Flops.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast