Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Young Frankenstein' The Musical

Young Frankenstein to Begin Previews at the Hilton Theatre in October; Tix On Sale in July

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    07 Jun 2007

Now that The Pirate Queen has announced it will end its Broadway run June 17, producers of Young Frankenstein have made the long-gestating rumors official.

The new Mel Brooks musical will play the Hilton Theatre.

Producers Robert F.X. Sillerman and Mel Brooks have announced that the musical, which will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman, will begin previews at the Hilton Oct. 11 with an official opening Nov. 8. Roger Bart will head the cast as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein. He will be joined onstage by Megan Mullally (Elizabeth), Sutton Foster (Inga), Shuler Hensley (The Monster), Fred Applegate (Kemp) and Christopher Fitzgerald (Igor).

Song titles, Brooks previously said, will include "We're the Happiest Town in Town," which the villagers sing at the top of the show when they believe Frankenstein is dead, and "There Is Nothing Like the Brain." Other songs include "The Transylvania Mania," "He Vas My Boyfriend" and Irving Berlin's "Putting On the Ritz."

Young Frankenstein, based on Brooks' 1974 film, has a score by Brooks, a book by Brooks and Thomas Meehan and direction and choreography by Stroman — the same team that turned The Producers into Tony gold.

The musical, according to press notes, is described thusly: "When Frederick Frankenstein, an esteemed New York brain surgeon and professor inherits a castle and laboratory in Transylvania from his grandfather, deranged genius Victor Von Frankenstein, he faces a dilemma. Does he continue to run from his family's tortured past or does he stay in Transylvania to carry on his grandfather's mad experiments reanimating the dead and, in the process, fall in love with his sexy lab assistant Inga?"

The design team comprises Robin Wagner (set design), William Ivey Long (costume design), Peter Kaczorowski (lighting design) and Jonathan Deans (sound design). Orchestrations will be written by Doug Besterman; Patrick Brady will be the musical director with musical supervision by Glen Kelly.

As previously reported, Young Frankenstein will have a pre-Broadway tryout this summer in Seattle. The Brooks-Thomas Meehan musical will play an Aug. 7-Sept. 1 stint at Seattle's Paramount Theatre.

Tickets for the Broadway run at the Hilton Theatre (213 West 42nd Street) will go on sale to the general public July 15. For more information visit YoungFrankensteinTheMusical.com
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108632.html

'The Producers' to end Broadway run, then 'Young Frankenstein' is alive! - 2/23/07
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...g+frankenstein
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-08-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: sp
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: 'Young Frankenstein' The Musical

Young Frankenstein is one of my most favorite movies of all time. I love most everything that Mel Brooks has ever done.

But Young Frankenstein as a musical??? Just not so sure about this one....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Young Frankenstein is one of my most favorite movies of all time. I love most everything that Mel Brooks has ever done.

But Young Frankenstein as a musical??? Just not so sure about this one....
    Yip, I absolutely LOVE Young Frankenstein. Pretty much the only comedy that I enjoy all the way through. The movie came out in theaters when I was 6 years old; I saw it many many times. First movie I memorized parts of But a musical??!! I'm kinda having a hard time with the thought of that.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Shablagoo!

Nothing against Young Frankenstien, but had this been "SpaceBalls: The Musical!" I would have been all over it.

• Man O Lantern

We got our tickets last week!! I'm really excited for this show.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Andrea Martin Will Be Part of Young Frankenstein Cast

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    19 Jun 2007

Andrea Martin
    photo by Aubrey Reuben
    Tony Award winner Andrea Martin is the latest addition to the cast of the new Mel Brooks musical Young Frankenstein, which will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman.

Martin will play the role of Frau Blucher in the new musical comedy; that role was created on screen by Cloris Leachman.

Martin joins a cast that includes the previously announced Roger Bart (Dr. Frederick Frankenstein), Megan Mullally (Elizabeth), Sutton Foster (Inga), Shuler Hensley (The Monster), Fred Applegate (Kemp) and Christopher Fitzgerald (Igor).

Andrea Martin received Tony, Drama Desk and Theatre World Awards for her performance in My Favorite Year. Her other Broadway credits include Fiddler on the Roof, Oklahoma! and Candide. Off-Broadway she has been seen in The Exonerated, The Vagina Monologues, The Merry Wives of Windsor and her one-woman show Nude Nude Totally Nude. Martin's numerous screen credits include "New York Minute," "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (SAG Award nomination), "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "All Over the Guy," "Wag the Dog," "Stepping Out," "Sesame Street" (special Emmy Award) and "SCTV" (two Emmy Awards).

Producers Robert F.X. Sillerman and Mel Brooks recently announced that the musical will begin previews at Broadway's Hilton Theatre Oct. 11 with an official opening Nov. 8.

Song titles, Brooks previously said, will include "We're the Happiest Town in Town," which the villagers sing at the top of the show when they believe Frankenstein is dead, and "There Is Nothing Like the Brain." Other songs include "The Transylvania Mania," "He Vas My Boyfriend" and Irving Berlin's "Putting On the Ritz."

Young Frankenstein, based on Brooks' 1974 film, has a score by Brooks, a book by Brooks and Thomas Meehan and direction and choreography by Stroman — the same team that turned The Producers into Tony gold.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108939.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Full Cast Announced for Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein

Roger Bart, Megan Mullally, Sutton Foster, Shuler Hensley, Fred Applegate, Christopher Fitzgerald
    and Andrea Martin will lead the cast of Young Frankenstein.

By Kenneth Jones
    Playbill.com
    June 25, 2007

Casting is complete for Mel Brooks' new Broadway-bound musical, Young Frankenstein, which will come alive in Seattle in August prior to a fall Broadway bow.

The production stars Roger Bart (Dr. Frederick Frankenstein), Megan Mullally (Elizabeth), Sutton Foster (Inga), Shuler Hensley (The Monster), Andrea Martin (Frau Blucher), Fred Applegate (Kemp) and Christopher Fitzgerald (Igor), with an ensemble to include Heather Ayers, Jim Borstelmann, Paul Castree, Jen Lee Crowl, Jack Doyle, James Gray, Amy Heggins, Eric Jackson, Kristin Marie Johnson, Renee Feder, Matthew LaBanca, Kevin Ligon, Barrett Martin, Linda Mugleston, Christina Marie Norrup, Justin Patterson, Brian Shepard, Sarrah Strimel, Craig Waletzko and Courtney Young.

The musical based on Brooks' Academy Award-nominated film comedy has book by Brooks and Thomas Meehan, music and lyrics by Brooks, direction and choreography by Susan Stroman.

Musical supervision is by Glen Kelly, who helped make Brooks' words and music in The Producers soar to Tony-winning effect.

Opening at Broadway's Hilton Theatre will be Nov. 8 following previews that start Oct. 11.

The world premiere engagement runs Aug. 7-Sept. 1 at Seattle's Paramount Theatre.

Robert F.X. Sillerman and Mel Brooks present new musical from the creative team of the 12-time Tony Award winning smash The Producers. They are obviously hoping lightning strikes twice.

According to the producers, "Based on the Oscar-nominated smash hit 1974 film, Young Frankenstein is the wickedly inspired re-imagining of the Mary Shelley classic from the comic genius of Mel Brooks. When Frederick Frankenstein, an esteemed New York brain surgeon and professor, inherits a castle and laboratory in Transylvania from his grandfather, deranged genius Victor Von Frankenstein, he faces a dilemma. Does he continue to run from his family's tortured past or does he stay in Transylvania to carry on his grandfather's mad experiments reanimating the dead and, in the process, fall in love with his sexy lab assistant Inga?"

The show is set "in the forbidding Castle Frankenstein and the foggy moors of Transylvania Heights." The song titles include "The Transylvania Mania," "He Vas My Boyfriend" and the unforgettable treatment of Irving Berlin's "Puttin' On the Ritz."

Tickets for Broadway will go on sale July 15. For information, visit www.YoungFrankensteinTheMusical.com.
    The production team includes three Tony Award winning designers of The Producers: three-time Tony Award winning set designer Robin Wagner, four-time Tony Award winning costume designer William Ivey Long and Tony Award winning lighting designer Peter Kaczorowski. Jonathan Deans is the sound designer. Two other Producers alumni complete the music department: Tony-award winning orchestrator Doug Besterman and musical director Patrick Brady.

The 1974 film received two Academy Award nominations, including one for Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder's script, also nominated for a Writer's Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. "Young Frankenstein" was also the recipient of the two highest honors accorded films of science fiction: winning The Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and The Nebula Award, given by The Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, for Best Dramatic Writing. In 2000, it was selected as No. 13 on AFI's 100 Funniest American Movies of All Time and in 2003, "Young Frankenstein" was chosen for preservation in the Library of Congress National Film Registry.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/109101.html

The leading players of Young Frankenstein.
    photo by Erin Baiano/Paul Kolnik Studio

PHOTO CALL: Young Frankenstein's First Read-Through

By Greg Kalafatas
    Playbill.com
    25 Jun 2007

The cast and creatives of the much-anticipated new Mel Brooks musical Young Frankenstein gathered to give the show its first read-through June 18.
    Here's a look at the rehearsal which also served as a meet-and-greet for the company.

Shuler Hensley, Megan Mullally and Roger Bart.Megan Mullally

Roger Bart and Megan Mullally read a scene.

The cast and creatives of Young Frankenstein: Roger Bart, Susan Stroman, Thomas Meehan, producer Robert Sillerman, Sutton Foster, Shuler Hensley, Andrea Martin, Fred Applegate, Christopher Fitzgerald, and seated,
    Mel Brooks and Megan Mullally.

photos by Erin Baiano/Paul Kolnik Studio
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/109108.html

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Shuler Hensley, makes sense he will be the monster, hewas the monster in Van Helsing

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    Shuler Hensley, makes sense he will be the monster, hewas the monster in Van Helsing
    Yup, (he'll probably sing more in this one though) here's the photo from the original thread:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...enstein&page=2

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Frankenstein' top ticket set at $450

Regular-price tickets will reach $120

By Gordon Cox
    Variety
    June 29, 2007

The top ticket for the upcoming Broadway tuner "Young Frankenstein" will be $450 -- $100 higher than the $350 top-tier ducat at "Jersey Boys."

According to a group sales memo for "Frankenstein," the $450 pricetag for "premier" seats, which are a step up from "premium" seats that will cost $75 less, will be charged for the four weekend perfs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Weekday shows will run $350 for premier tickets.

Regular-price tickets for "Frankenstein" will reach $120 for all performances. That's slightly higher than many other musicals on the Rialto, which often charge $110 or $115. "Jersey" tickets hit $120 on weekends.

For "Frankenstein," about 250 tickets per performance -- out of the Hilton Theater's approximately 1800 seats -- will be premier or premium, with less than half of those being tagged as premier.

Still, the high prices, set even before the show's out-of-town tryout, is a mark of the confidence of the producers of "Frankenstein," the hotly anticipated new tuner from Mel Brooks. Brooks' 2001 Rialto smash, "The Producers," was the first to hawk premium-priced tickets for seats in prime locations that could be purchased with less advance notice but at a boosted price. At the time, that price tag topped out at $480.

Since "The Producers," the practice of premium pricing on Broadway has become commonplace, becoming a factor in helping to extend the longevity of many shows.

"Frankenstein," based on Brooks' 1974 pic, stars Roger Bart, Megan Mullally, Sutton Foster and Shuler Hensley. Produced by Brooks and Robert F.X. Sillerman, the $16 million musical tries out in Seattle in August before hitting the Hilton in Gotham for a Nov. 8 opening.

According to the group sales memo, tickets are on sale through November 2008.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=15&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Young Frankenstein' getting ready

Mel Brooks' latest project has big shoes to fill

Roger Bart plays Dr. Frankenstein

By Gordon Cox
    Variety
    August 17, 2007

"Young Frankenstein" has quite a monster to master.

It's not the mad doctor's reanimated creation that's so daunting. It's the enormous expectations placed on Mel Brooks' follow-up to his last legit property, "The Producers."

Currently performing a tryout run in Seattle that opens Aug. 23, the Broadway-bound "Frankenstein" is for many Rialto watchers the high-stakes main event of the fall season: a pricey production from the creative team whose one previous outing proved explosively successful -- before tapering off, as even those involved acknowledge, sooner than anticipated.

With an unorthodox ticket distribution strategy that pushes premium-ticket price-tags up to a walloping $450 a seat, producers of "Frankenstein" are banking on a monster hit when it opens at New York's Hilton Theater Nov. 8.

But while the creatives are working to overcome some of the hurdles believed to have limited the longevity of "The Producers," the "Frankenstein" producers' tiered-price tactics, cribbed from sports and concert presenters, have stirred resentment among some in the Gotham legit community -- so that not everyone in town is necessarily cheering them on.
    Full article at:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=15&cs=1

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I am skeptical about this one...the movie was so darned good. Can the musical meet or exceed the original in any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Mel Brooks thinks so. Probably in the same way Eric Idle did with 'Spamalot'.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think the song titles have GREAT potential, if they have the same quintessential Broadway sound as the Producers. The Happiest Town in Town? He Vas My Boyfriend? I'm a huge fan of the movie and if they use the same schtick that they used with Producers, this could be awesome. I didn't think they could pull off the Holy Grail with Spamalot, but they did. I guess we'll find out.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 08-17-2007 at 10:12 PM.

• Banned User

Ah, Sweet Mystery Of Life At Last I Found Youuuuuuuuuuuuu...!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast