Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

• My cuties!

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

Loved it!! I cried when Hedwig died. Dobby was never one of my favorite characters but I cried when he died too. I cried when they were in the Room of Requirement and everyone started coming in to help fight. I loved the build up to save the castle part. The chapter when Harry realizes he has to die had me sobbing. The epilogue was so-so especially knowing she's had it written for years; I wanted more info about other characters.

Did anyone else think Ginny was going to give it up to Harry for his birthday before they were interrupted by Ron??

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

ok ive got a question :

If in the book Teddy was just born and then in the epilogue it says ninteen years later meaning Teddy is 19.. but it says that he is going to hogwarts but he is 19... and then wat is snogging or whatever they say teddy is doing... and why wasnt teddy with harry since harry is his godfather and he had no home to go to.. unless he lived with Tonk's Mom.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I'm not even done with the book (Halfway through the chapter "The Wandmaker"), but I'm concerned with how any movie of the book will ever be able to do the book justice. Although I'm sure some would disagree, even only this far into the book, there is a LOT of stuff that is a little too graphic to be included in any PG-13 movie (throne of naked Muggles, the whole Bathilda's house scene, Dobby's death, etc.) and I'm nowhere near the end.

Since I know WB would absolutely refuse to release an R-rated Potter flick, I'm concerned about the movie, but so far, this is my favorite book in the series hands down and it keeps getting better. Strangely enough, out of ALL of the deaths up to the point I am at in the book, only Hedwig's and Dobby's seemed "sad," with Dobby's almost bringing the tears. I'm hoping to have the book finished by tomorrow night, but I'm taking my time with it all, even though I know basically what happens, it's still a very engaging read.

• Clearing my Calendar

I *completely* forgot that Harry is Teddy's godfather! Of course he'd have been living with them!

By the way, he was probably on the platform because he was snogging (kissing/making out/slobbering over) Victoire (sp?) who is the student going back to Hogwarts.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

On page 208 why did Ron say Voldemort's name when talking to Lupin. That threw me and I thought there would be an explaination later, but the Taboo jinx made it even more confusing. Did he overcome is fears then and then later get scared when Harry says it?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stven1 View Post
    On page 208 why did Ron say Voldemort's name when talking to Lupin. That threw me and I thought there would be an explaination later, but the Taboo jinx made it even more confusing. Did he overcome is fears then and then later get scared when Harry says it?

Welcome to Micechat, Stven!

Good call. I think it may well be something JK and her editors missed. She was probably very much into the plot at that point and maybe simply forgot that Ron has a problem with hearing "Voldemort" and forgot to fix it later when she decided to make the name a means of tracing them. Oops.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stven1 View Post
    Well, they didn't know about the Taboo jinx yet. I'm not sure why he would say his name though. I didn't pick up on that actually.

I loved it!! It was great the way that JK Rowling would reference characters or things had happened earlier in the series. I think my favorite was when Harry is watching Snape's memories and sees him telling his mother about the Dementors and Petunia overhearing it which she had mentioned when Dudley was attacked in OOtP.

I was also a bit disappointed with the epilogue. I wanted more info! What is Luna up to? the same for George, Percy, Cho, Seamus, Dean, the Patil twins, Hannah Abbott, and about 50 other characters!

My best score ever!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

The epilogue was like horrible fangirl fan fic. It totally brought me out of the story. Im' pretending it does'nt exist... well, except for that Draco part
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Clearing my Calendar

What exists?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    I already knew that was Albus' brother, from a couple of books ago. Must have been some speculation I read on another board somewhere at the time. So that was not a surprise at all. I was hoping for some sort of thing where he had switched places with Albus, a fake death, something like that.

And to have the last thing he saw be Lily's eyes, for his last memory as he died. That's probably what triggered all of those memories to come flooding out for Harry to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    Upon reflection the last moment of Snape's life- wanting Harry to look at him so the last thing he saw was Lily's eyes is so heartbreaking.
    Ohhh, I didn't look at it that way, very interesting, makes that portion of the story much better for me.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by nnic View Post
    ok ive got a question :

If in the book Teddy was just born and then in the epilogue it says ninteen years later meaning Teddy is 19.. but it says that he is going to hogwarts but he is 19... and then wat is snogging or whatever they say teddy is doing... and why wasnt teddy with harry since harry is his godfather and he had no home to go to.. unless he lived with Tonk's Mom.

The book said he was there to see Victoire off, not that he was going himself. At 19 he would have graduated, but Victoire seems a year or two younger and is still going.

Tonks says "she will take care of him" meaning her mother-Andromeda.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Is it just me, or does the fact that Neville discovered the RoR in the OotP movie seem to be a lot more significant now?

And although I haven't finished the book proper yet, I actually don't have any problems with the epilogue. Sure, it doesn't "reveal the fate of every surviving character," but if you think about it, the amount of work that would take would be staggering and for very little good if you ask me. I mean, think of all the little characters here and there throughout the series. To make good on any such claim would involve writing the fictional fates of a countless list of characters and all for very little, if you ask me. Sure, there are loads of characters that we'd like to know more about, but I think the epilogue certainly covers the characters that have truly been DEVELOPED the most, and on top of that, I think it certainly covers the ones that people overall are going to be concerned about.

Think about it. If she had discussed the Patil Twins yet left out the Dursleys or Lockhart, certain fans would be upset. I think she made the right choice doing things the way she did. On top of THAT, I think the epilogue sets it up perfectly for her to do a follow-up book or even series about the wizarding world 19 years later.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    I *completely* forgot that Harry is Teddy's godfather! Of course he'd have been living with them!

By the way, he was probably on the platform because he was snogging (kissing/making out/slobbering over) Victoire (sp?) who is the student going back to Hogwarts.
    He's NOT living with them. They say he is over all the time- but not living with them. James says he would like him to, that Teddy could have his room and he would share with Al- Harry says no.

I really wish Snape didn't go out like that.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast