Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

• Clearing my Calendar

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

Oh. Right.

Thanks for setting me straight.

I still forgot that Harry was godfather though.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

A few random thoughts and observations:

Aside from Dumbledore's death in HBP, Dobby's death was by far the most emotional for me. I was also moved by the moments at Grimmauld Place between the trio and Kreacher. The development of the house elves as characters, and their evolving realtionships with the wizards around them best exemplifies JKR's ongoing theme of how much one has to gain from showing the most simple kindness.

Narcissa's betrayal of Voldemort was absolutely gut-wrenching. Our choices define us, and with that single choice Narcissa may not have fully redeemed her family, but certainly helped steer them clear of a path that would have led to their deaths. It was that path that her sister Bellatrix chose. The battle between Molly and Bellatrix was emotionally satisfying. It was great to see the fierce loyalty of family that the Weasley's have always represented finally get their moment of triumph.

And Snape. What can I possibly say about Severus Snape? Rarely have I seen such a complex and compelling charated drawn in literature. Those last words "Look ... at ... me" were chilling. And there couldn't be any epitaph greater than Harry calling Snape "the bravest man I ever knew".

"All was well" and all is forgiven, and for better or worse, the story is done. And I, for one am grateful for the journey, and really can't wait to start it all over again, hand in hand with a scrawny 11-year old boy as he reads the words from the yellowed parchment:

"Dear Mr. Potter" . . .
    Are you telling me that you built a theme park.. out of a vinery and a bear shaped mountain?!!?..
    - WestsideCM99

• Faith Trust & Pixie Dust

Thumbs up Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

Quote Originally Posted by TarzanTrashcanMan View Post
    A few random thoughts and observations:

Aside from Dumbledore's death in HBP, Dobby's death was by far the most emotional for me. I was also moved by the moments at Grimmauld Place between the trio and Kreacher. The development of the house elves as characters, and their evolving realtionships with the wizards around them best exemplifies JKR's ongoing theme of how much one has to gain from showing the most simple kindness.

Narcissa's betrayal of Voldemort was absolutely gut-wrenching. Our choices define us, and with that single choice Narcissa may not have fully redeemed her family, but certainly helped steer them clear of a path that would have led to their deaths. It was that path that her sister Bellatrix chose. The battle between Molly and Bellatrix was emotionally satisfying. It was great to see the fierce loyalty of family that the Weasley's have always represented finally get their moment of triumph.

And Snape. What can I possibly say about Severus Snape? Rarely have I seen such a complex and compelling charated drawn in literature. Those last words "Look ... at ... me" were chilling. And there couldn't be any epitaph greater than Harry calling Snape "the bravest man I ever knew".

"All was well" and all is forgiven, and for better or worse, the story is done. And I, for one am grateful for the journey, and really can't wait to start it all over again, hand in hand with a scrawny 11-year old boy as he reads the words from the yellowed parchment:

"Dear Mr. Potter" . . .
    I agree witll it all. It was a great adventure and I couldn't put it down. Cheers to JK
    Laughter is timeless -- Imagination has no age -- And dreams are forever

• Minion

I'm still sort of digesting it... but it was incredible. I loved the return to Hogwarts, and I loved the way everyone and everything from the past 6 books seemed to come together for the battle- the teachers, centaurs, thestrals, house-elves, statues, portraits, Buckbeak... it was just so satisfying. And I love McGonagall- I thought she was awesome. I also LOVED Molly Weasley's fight with Bellatrix. My first thought when I read it was, "Can JK say that?" But I guess the she's earned the right to do whatever she wants.

I too would have liked a little more epilogue- just to get a better sense of the way things ended up. I was really hoping to see a disgruntled Umbridge working at Kings Cross or something, doing something really unpleasant. (Janitor? Cleaning up owl droppings?)

• Minion

Blog Entries

i can finally say, I WAS RIGHT!!!!

lol, check my sig,it's been that for some time now, lol

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I just love how JK brought the story back home to Hogwarts. I thought it was brilliant and monumental how the final battle was fought there and how everyone was in the room when Harry fought Voldemort for the last time. It was a definite punch the air moment for me when Harry ripped off that cloak and everyone noticed he was back. The commanding presence that Harry had in those final moments was completely breath taking, starting from his death and leading to the climax.

And thank you, dear JK for giving us 19 years later, while it didn't answer all the questions of who is where, it definitely satisfied my curiosity as to where they would be and what they would become.

Best ending for a series EVER...IMHO..

Oh and one last thing... I would like to thank Barnes N Noble for moving the line INSIDE to the AC a full hour before midnight so we didn't have to roast in the heat and humidity that is Florida.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Probably the best book of the series, took me a while to figure out memories were bleeding out of snape when he died but seeing that chapter on his life and the things he did out of love for Lilly really redemed him for me.

And if you dont mind me saying Dumbledore is a huge jackass now.

Dobby's death was the saddest although Fred, Lupin, and Tonks dieing got to me too.

Good for Nevill, kills the last Hocrux and becomes a teacher at Hogwarts

The Malfoys went up a few notches too expecialy Draco and his mother, although the father was probably scared so bad that he probably changed his tune too.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    And if you dont mind me saying Dumbledore is a huge jackass now.
    At least it made him seem more human, not sure if I think he's a jackass. People make mistakes all the time, even Dumbledore, I think he redeemed himself though.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I, too, was very disappointed in Dumbledore. I really don't like many of the strings that he pulled in Harry's life. He was playing a very dangerous game, and it could have cost many more people their lives.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think it's important to keep in mind that for FIFTEEN YEARS, the idea of Voldemort coming back was pure theory. Dumbledore didn't realize that Harry would truly have to die as a young man until the end of the Goblet of Fire. But it was also at that point that he knew Voldemort couldn't TRULY kill Harry because of the horcrux and Lilly's blood now residing in Voldemort.

But yeah....it was weird to think of him as someone with human faults and ambitions...someone who's first priority was not to his family but to his career. But it was after the death of his sister that he became the Dumbledore that we knew from the first six books. He might have been a jackass as he left Hogwarts as a teenager, but then he changed in a huge way.

Wearing the ring and hoping to use the Hallows though.....was he trying to bring back his sister? If so, that was a moment of weakness but one that only showed he never wanted to lose her. Tom Riddle was a jackass. Dumbledore...not so much.

• Directly directed

I too was shocked at Dumbledore's character but I do think he redeemed himself. Dumbledore knew he was a horcrux and was trying to save harry from death by telling him about the Deathly Hallows. He could not have told Snape that. And Dumbledore was right.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I haven't always been a big reader, so it is so helpful to discuss these books. I then hear someone else's take on the events in the book, and it begins to clear some of the points up.

I have gone back, and read some of the things that were not so clear the first time around.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I haven't always been a big reader, so it is so helpful to discuss these books. I then hear someone else's take on the events in the book, and it begins to clear some of the points up.

I have gone back, and read some of the things that were not so clear the first time around.
    I too love these discussions. I have already lent out my copy, so I'm relying on this to answer all my questions since it'll be a while before i can reread.

• Former Epcot CM

Definitely.
    Discussing the book and hearing other peoples perceptions and opinions definitely improves my understanding of the book.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Definitely.
    Discussing the book and hearing other peoples perceptions and opinions definitely improves my understanding of the book.
    I think it also helps because us as individuals retain things differently than others so it's great to have discussions like this so we can fill in the blanks.

For example the whole "Look at me!" thing with Snape, totally didn't see it as a way to see Lily again until it was pointed out here.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast