Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41926272829

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

Nope, they were big old fake, nasty (but flavored) slugs. I think it's in the extras on the DVD. I just find that amazing, because I can barely hold my toothbrush/toothpaste foam in my mouth for very long!
    A signature should go here.

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows- Book Discussion & MAJOR spoilers-Enter at UR

Rupert had said that even though the slugs were candy coated and flavored with Strawberry and other flavors, they were still gross and it was all he do to keep from up-chucking for real.

I found a re-edited transcript of the same interview that Muggle Net linked to on the Bloomburg site. The Bloomburg sites version has missing questions and answers to questions that are not there. This other site is much easier to read, and the grouped the questions by subject. It clearly states that Harry became the head of the Auror Department and completely reorganized it made it truly amazing. Ron became a partner with George in the Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. It never mentioned a word about Ron also working at the MOM. There were some other questions that were ommited at the Muggle Net link to Bloomburgs that made a lot more sense once the correct answers were put under the missing questions. It's interesting. It's linked to from The Leaky Cauldron dot com.

If she can answer these questions so quickly and confidently, then why oh why did she just leave them out of the book? It's like what Warners leaves/cuts from the movies, and then adds them back in as Deleted Scenes or in the ABC Family Version just calls the whole movie the "Extended Version" not seen in the theater. I bet Warners released a boxed set of all 7 movies in the extended versions and really doesn't put in much else that was missing.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    . It's interesting. It's linked to from The Leaky Cauldron dot com.

If she can answer these questions so quickly and confidently, then why oh why did she just leave them out of the book? It's like what Warners leaves/cuts from the movies, and then adds them back in as Deleted Scenes or in the ABC Family Version just calls the whole movie the "Extended Version" not seen in the theater. I bet Warners released a boxed set of all 7 movies in the extended versions and really doesn't put in much else that was missing.
    JK said that she had a lot of material left out because of Literary something( I forget what it's called) but it just means that she couldn't because it wouldn't be so artistic, whoch is why she is doing an Encyclopedia. She can put all the answers we want without worrying about being literature. As for the movies, they HAVE to leave stuff out. thats the thing with films based on novels. Its not the matter of what the story is, but how much screen time they can have. If the films followed the books exactly, we'd end up with 10 hour movies(or more) which would be BORING. So the better thing to suggest is to make a HP GAME that follows the book closely because with games, you have unlimited time.(but unfortunately, EA games has left that route after game 3 and has copied the Movies more than the books)

-Jojo

I do understand that books cannot be directly turned into moves, page for page and word for word. What I question is the stuff that is important to either understanding something about a character or plot point being left out. The movie has never mentioned or made fact of who the characters were that created the Mauraders map. It think it's important to the story, and especially for those who hadn't read the books to know that the four coded names referred to people that Harry knew currently and his father. Also in the first movie the deleted scenes had an extended scene with Snape and Harry in the Potions Class that really did move the story along and made Snape really seem evil and showed a hatred for Harry that wouldn't be explained until much later in the series and it was fun to watch. Things like that. I can see where scenes that really aren't missed being left out, but they to tend to leave out a lot of stuff that would be beneficial to those who hadn't read the books. I can't tell you the number of times I have had to explain things to friends who love the movies, but don't read the books for whatever reason and get so confused about the story because important things are missing. It's an odd thing for sure. I really do hope they release the extended versions of all 7 movies when they are finished. Just like Peter Jackson did with LOTR. It was like watching a whole new movie.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I can understand leaving things out, from the books, when making the movies. However, there have been some things that have been changed entirely.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Goodbye VMK.

i seriously cried during A Battle At Hogwarts. Stupid Crabbe & Goyle. Can't stand them. I cannot believe he was trying to kill harry thinking he could do it. Loser.
    and so, the princess must leave her kingdom on May 21st, 2008. </3

FINALLY I can join this thread! I finally finished the book.... I really loved it... however I was really frustrated with how she dealt with Lupin/Tonks.. didn't they at least deserve a scene of their fight? When I read they were dead, I had to go back and make sure I didn't miss something!

Disney: true inspiration!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by prince_david View Post
    FINALLY I can join this thread! I finally finished the book.... I really loved it... however I was really frustrated with how she dealt with Lupin/Tonks.. didn't they at least deserve a scene of their fight? When I read they were dead, I had to go back and make sure I didn't miss something!
    J.K. said in an interview that she was originally going to kill Aurthur Weasly, but she couldn't bare to kill him, so instead, she said she replaced his death with Tonks and Lupin's. I'm sure they might show their fight scene in the film itself.

-Jojo

• white and nerdy

It was pretty good story telling though, to have all of the marauders die. (even though the vindication of a life after death made it all very cool). It echoed classic Greek and British stories and I loved it.

I also can completely understand why she left some of this stuff out of the books. I always say "art above all else" You know how much I learned about magical creatures or Quidditch from the extra books that just aren't in the main seven? Tons. I also understand that putting them in the books would have been serious speed-bumps. Lord of the Rings is a bit different as it is set up as a book with the sole purpose of helping people understand the life back then (and even it had a plethora of additional books to fill in the cultural gaps).

Bottom line? A fantastic re-imagining of the classic hero's journey. One of this generations greatest books and one of the best stories in our history.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Do you have a link to the interview in which JK mentioned the thing about Arthur Weasley? I remember her saying before the book came out that a life had been pardoned so that must have been Arthur. I am glad he survived. The Weasleys are my favorite family. I really was sad when Fred died. That was one emotional scene.

Again, like with Dumbledore in #6, it wasn't the actual deed that made one cry, but it was the aftermath and other's in the story reactions.

The other scene that made me cry was Dooby and it was because of Harry's emotional feelings, not the deed itself. She sure knows how to push my buttons, that's for sure. I know Daniel Radcliffe can pull out the emotional scenes just look what he went through when he came back to the Maze with Cedric. Now that made me cry and mostly because Harry was wracked with sobbing.

I know that Mrs. Weasley is going to get one heck of a scene in this movie so I am planning on taking lots of Kleenex to see this one, and #6 as well.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20026225/ Here it is. if you scroll down to the bottom, there are more articles about J.K.

-Jojo

Thanks, those bits added a lot to the book. I am really looking forward now to the Encyclopedia as that will also have a lot of other stuff left out of all the books for page count and pacing.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41926272829