• A New Kind Of Villain

Sadako's Non-Spoiler Review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

Even though Bloomsbury spent 10 million pounds trying to heavily guard the secrets in this book until its release, on July 16th someone who got an early copy of the novel (two retailers mistakenly sent out about 2,000 copies early) decided to photograph every single page and place it online. The leak has affectionately been named “Carpet Book” by fan sites everywhere, due to the amount of carpet seen underneath the novel in these photos.

Yours truly braved eyesores and migraines to bring you this scoop on the eve of the release. I will try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible, while remaining objective.

First of all… there was waaaaaay too much fluff. 760 pages and I just wasn’t on the edge of my seat until about page 675 when we finally get the full story of a major character. That summarizes my main problem with the final installment. Specifically, the moment we need the most amount of character development for fan favorite, under-appreciated characters - Rowling does not deliver. And it’s not like she doesn’t have the opportunity. Early on in the book there’s a wedding, but it feels way too forced. Almost like these characters are just going through the motions. Most of the book is spent following the three protagonists, but only one of them ever has a moment to face their fears and evolve. As for everyone else, they seem off on the wayside. And yes, a lot of characters die, but it feels like she wrote these deaths as a necessity rather than for a payoff. As a matter of fact, the payoffs seem to come not when certain characters die, but when the lives of those in the heat of battle are threatened.

The wizard world is changing drastically in this book and too many characters feel like mindless drones… I really wanted to know how they really feel about the changing tides, but I just didn’t get it.

What truly bugged me is that Rowling can give us the character development we desire when she truly wants to. In fact, my favorite chapter was when we finally got the full gut-wrenching, unadulterated background story of a certain character as we look through his memories and, quite frankly, it left this reader in tears.

Another disappointment is the epilogue to the story which, even though it shows us in not so many details what happens to the survivors, feels like a work of fan fiction. It’s very sloppily written and hard to make out who are children of whom. It doesn’t feel like the work of a professional writer.

All in all, the story comes to a close in rather anticlimactic fashion. And even though it is a pleasurable ride, I think I won’t be the only one left saying, “I want more… of her secondary characters!” We can only hope JK Rowling expands on the amazing universe she’s created without spending any more time on her three main children.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Re: Sadako's Non-Spoiler Review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

Thanks, Sadako for a great review. I reluctantly read it, even though I was fearful of spoilers. Ultimately, I gave in because I trusted you and you did a good job of giving us your take on the book without giving anything away.

I'm looking forward to jumping in tomorrow when the FedEx man comes!
    Rick

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    Thanks, Sadako for a great review. I reluctantly read it, even though I was fearful of spoilers. Ultimately, I gave in because I trusted you and you did a good job of giving us your take on the book without giving anything away.

I'm looking forward to jumping in tomorrow when the FedEx man comes!
    No prob, I tried to keep spoilers far away from this one so there's no danger...

Now on the other hand, if you went into the other 7 page long Spoilerrific thread...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Minion

Blog Entries

i agree with the statement about the epilogue. i found myself scanning it just to see what it was, but i didn't really read it.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

and to think, this started off as a childrens book...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Thank you for keeping it spoiler free but informative. Now I just have to get past the first 600+ pages...

• Banned User

I finished the book yesterday and agree 100% with sadako. To me it was as if JK sort of phoned it in in order to get the series done. It had way too much filler and parts of the book were hard to read because it was so boring. and she left the door open for more " potterish" books. In my opinion 1/3 of the book was filled with a needless plotline that dragged the rest of the book down. Of the seven books this was definitely my least favorite.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I so agree with Sadako's review.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Thanks for your review, Sadako. I agree with most of it. There really was way too much filler, but I can't blame Rowling too much. She didn't want to let go, to end the story. The movie should be easy to make. Get rid of the tent scenes, the wedding and the trip to the Ministry. That should knock out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the book.

Couldn't agree with you more!

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Thanks for your review, Sadako. I agree with most of it. There really was way too much filler, but I can't blame Rowling too much. She didn't want to let go, to end the story. The movie should be easy to make. Get rid of the tent scenes, the wedding and the trip to the Ministry. That should knock out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the book.
    No, don't get rid of the wedding or trip to the Ministry!! I loved those parts!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    No, don't get rid of the wedding or trip to the Ministry!! I loved those parts!
    Here's the thing though, Harry takes Polyjuice Potion and becomes someone else. So during those scenes, it won't be Daniel Radcliff we are looking at as Harry, but some other actors. It just doesn't make sense to do those scenes. If I was the scriptwriter, I wouldn't put it in, it does not advance Harry's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Here's the thing though, Harry takes Polyjuice Potion and becomes someone else. So during those scenes, it won't be Daniel Radcliff we are looking at as Harry, but some other actors. It just doesn't make sense to do those scenes. If I was the scriptwriter, I wouldn't put it in, it does not advance Harry's story.

Maybe we would see some quality acting then...
    Siggy siggy sig sig.