Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   

How Was Your Harry Potter DH Weekend?

So how was your Harry Potter weekend?!?!
    How was your book release party?
    Did you stay up all night to read it?

My weekend started off with me going to a release party at a Borders here in Long Beach. I got there at about 10:30 and I went alone. My wife was going to come with me but we had nobody to watch our daughters. I felt a little weird going alone but I wanted to see what it was like and experience it. Plus, it was NEVER going to happen again..... I realized as I was there that I didn't need to get there that early. I was a little bored until I was finally able to get in line. I didn't pre-order at the Borders so I had to wait till the last group. I got in line at 1:20 and got my book at 2:20. I went straight home and started reading. At about 3:30 I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I tried to force myself but I didn't want to forget what I was reading.

I slept off and on for two hours and then had to wake up for a full day at Raging Waters. That shot the whole day for me to read! I read a little that night but again, couldn't keep my eyes open.

Sunday I read as much as I could while my wife and daughters were here at home. That was a mistake. I got nagged for not helping clean (I've told my wife for years that when this book came out I wasn't doing anything but reading mind you....) and my daughters just wouldn't leave me alone. I got about half of it read though.

Today was my day to finish it. I took the day off of work, brewed up some coffee and got to reading. I read all day and finished exactly at 5:00pm. I took my time and enjoyed every minute of it.

Re: How Was Your Harry Potter DH Weekend?

i got it at midnight the day it came out, well actaully i got it about one in the morning once i braved the line but i went to a potter party at a borders bookstore that is down the street from where i live. they had voldemart handing out goodie bags, a great snape debate which really got hot! a costume contest, decorating and other fun and suprises as well. i just finished it this afternoon on my last break at work and all i can say is amazing!!!! i hate to see this series end. i hope rowling starts some other kind of series.

• Look.....at......me!

No parties for me (don't have a car). Had to wait for it to come in the mail on Saturday. Can't even describe the excitement when I got that box in my hands and read "muggles, do not open until July 21st." Started reading right away and finished it 8 hours later. Absolutely loved it....great day of reading.

•   

I feel like I missed out by not being able to read at all Saturday.....
    I'm not sure why but I do.
    I'm just happy I read it!

• Rock Star Minion

As I wrote in the other thread, I've finished reading it.
    I'll be mum for another week or so regarding opinions, comments, explanations, etc.
    I'm reading parts of it over, when I get a chance.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• She was sweet as a peach

We went to the release party at our local Barnes and Noble just to experience the festivities one last time. I didn't actually get a copy of the book until the next day.

I have been reading as much as I can (I am on page 500) but I also have to care for my 2 1/2 year old and hubby.
    Darn parenting gets in the way.

• Former Epcot CM

I got it delivered in the post at 7:15am on Saturday morning, went to work at 9, began reading the book at 5:30pm when I finished work, and read non-stop until I finished at 5:30am the next morning.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I didn't get my book until yesterday. I've only read the first 5 or 6 chapters so far. Will read more tonight after work.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

My family and I went to the Barnes N Noble party Friday night, we got sorted, the girls had their photo taken, we saw some GREAT costumes, made some wands and drew our name in dragon speak. Then my honey took the girls home and I bought a different book, got to my place in line and waited 3 hours. Since I got there right as they were giving out the wristbands, I was in the 2nd group and out the door by 12:40am. I went home, read until around 2:00ish and didn't get to pick it up again until Saturday evening, as we had family in town. Finished it Sunday morning and reread the Epilogue again this morning.

I had to laugh though, after the family went home, I went over to BK to get some food/water and the guy obviously thought I wasn't buying the book because he proceeded to tell me how much he hated Harry Potter, how stupid it was for people to wait in line for a book and basically how his night was ruined because he was within walking distance of BnN, so he had to work more.

I made it a point of grabbing my food with the arm that had the wristband on and just smiled when he saw it, his eyes got so big. I told him to have a magical day and never make assumptions.

• Clearing my Calendar

I haven't done a TR in the public forums yet (I originally put this one in Gold), but I guess now's a good a time as any, right?

Bryan and I decided that we couldn't pass up the book party to end all book parties, so here's my TR to share the journey.

We arrive to realize there's just a few hours left!

I thought "Grand Hallows Ball" was a great play on words. At this particular location they featured (after we arrived) a Spelling Bee (with harder than you would think words), a Snape Debate, and a costume contest. More later.

I checked in at the front desk. When did you say I'll be able to get in line?

Whew! Not too bad!

I started to meander through the crowds when I spotted a shark!

So I tracked him down and found that he wasn't alone!

Yipes! (Surely you're not wondering who won the King and Queen of the Hallows Ball for the costume contest are you? )
    Not to worry though, I soon found the good guys:

I decided to take some video to show the sheer scope of the crowd:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqzczWSks_4"></param><embed">http://www.youtube.com/v/IqzczWSks_4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqzczWSks_4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]

And found myself in a duel!

Once I calmed down from the excitement, I meandered over to the spelling bee.

Spell Aguamenti but don't hurt yourself...

I decided to try to find my way over to the coffee shop...

That's the line to the coffee shop??

I thought about it for a while...

And settled for Polychange Potion. Really kind of looks like it doesn't it? It was actually really good (oreos, cream, coffee, how can you go wrong?) I then decided to head over to start looking at whether I could get in line...

And ran into another couple of great costumes!

I like this panorama because it kind of looks like someone got splinched in the middle there.

The orange bands were called to get in line while all the other colors were told to go into the middle where customer service is (no register). Yeah right. The silvers all got in line beyond the oranges. Then the countdown began and I forgot about pictures for a while...

This girl was getting glitter everywhere! I watched her for about 20 minutes because, well, our line didn't move because the Oranges didn't know what they were doing.

Getting closer!

Accio book!

The End!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I went over to BK to get some food/water and the guy obviously thought I wasn't buying the book because he proceeded to tell me how much he hated Harry Potter, how stupid it was for people to wait in line for a book and basically how his night was ruined because he was within walking distance of BnN, so he had to work more.
    Ok I have to side with this guy just a little. I enjoy the books (never thought I would, but I do), but that's it. They're books. For me, the dressing up and waiting hours in line.... for a book (?!) is too much. The costumes and the rest kind of freak me out a bit. You don't see people dressing up as the characters of the latest Stephen King book or Danielle Steele (does she even still write anymore?) romance novel.

•   

I forgot I took pictures!
    I only have like 5 of them though. I needed to do something to pass the time....

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Ok I have to side with this guy just a little. I enjoy the books (never thought I would, but I do), but that's it. They're books. For me, the dressing up and waiting hours in line.... for a book (?!) is too much. The costumes and the rest kind of freak me out a bit. You don't see people dressing up as the characters of the latest Stephen King book or Danielle Steele (does she even still write anymore?) romance novel.

Oh I had no problem what so ever with his point of view, I just thought it was funny that he assumed that I wasn't one of those people waiting in line for the book. I also thought the people who dressed up were really cool, I personally could never do it but I did for about a half a second consider being the fat lady in the portrait but it was to late to do anything about it.

As far as freaking you out I can't help you there but I will say I admire people who have the guts to go through with it.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Those books aren't as good.
    I dressed up as Cujo once, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

As you might know, I work at Barnes and Noble and worked the night of the Harry Potter release. Here are some of my pictures.

We moved the boxes behind the counter earlier in the day, but kept them taped up and hidden under some paper, per instructions from Scholastic.

We had people lined up at 2pm to get a wristband at 6pm. So, the waited 4 hours, but the thing was, someone walking in at 1am did not have to wait a minute. We got rid of all the people in one hour. Here is a shot at 6pm of the people waiting for wristbands. The line sneaked all the way to the back of the store and weaved through the bookcases.

One of my co-workers dressed like Moody. His costume was awesome. The detail was incredible.

My co-worker dressed like Winky.

One of my managers dressed like Hedwig.

Our Trelawney(sp?) reading tea leaves.

Mad-eye, my little wizard and the Sorting hat.

Me painting on numerous Dark Marks on people's arms.

Me standing by Potter Wall right before midnight. You can see they are still sealed.

Almost midnight and the people line up!

Our cafe was turned into the Three Broomsticks.

We had the four banners from the four houses.

Our list of events.

Even our signs got in the act!

We had a great time at the party. I was not able to read much the next two days since I had to work at the store. I finished today and was happy that the ending was not given away to me.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone in this thread so I will not give my thoughts here. I'll have to look for another thread. Hope you liked the picutures!

Edit: Sorry the pictures are tilted. Don't know how that happened. They were ok on Photobucket. Just tilt your computer,lol.
    Last edited by Nancywitt; 07-24-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast