Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• FuseMP

Re: Just saw WICKED at the Pantages in Hollywood!!!

Did Cheno manage to give the impression of being a teenage student? I've only gotten to hear her on the soundtrack and she just sounds too old for the part, most noticably during Popular where I think she sounds like a nanny not co-student. Although shes only 3 years older than Idina (who in my eyes is who i see whenever i think of Elphie), she just looks that much older. What was she like to watch in the role? Did she pull off being younger?
    CoHost of the Dedicated to DLP Podcast, part of the MiceChat MicePod Network
    www.facebook.com/FuseMP
    www.twitter.com/FuseMP

• Disneyland Grandee

Bump!

Finally - I saw WICKED on Sunday.
    OMG - best musical eva, hands down!

I was crying with laughter during Popular, Megan Hilty absolutely nailed her sticky sweet, girly schtick. And Eden Espinosa was beyond amazing-that girl can sing!

Between the Oz storyline, the comedy, the love story, true meaning of friendship, singing, set, costumes, all the subtle references to my beloved Wizard of Oz, there was absolutely NOTHING I didn't LOVE.

I loved it so much, I bought more tickets yesterday to take my daughter for her birthday!

Perfection!!
    Last edited by DizDee; 08-21-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

I've got tickets for Friday......
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    Bump!

Finally - I saw WICKED on Sunday.
    OMG - best hands down musical eva.

I was crying with laughter during Popular, Megan Hilty absolutely nailed her sticky sweet, girly schtick. And Eden Espinosa was beyond amazing-that girl can sing!
    Ohhh... I didn't realize Megan Hilty was performing in a show somewhere. I saw her in New York in Nov. '05 and she was terrific as Glinda. The National Tour is in Philly at the moment and I got to see the show last Friday. Glinda wasn't as good as Megan she was pretty close. Elphaba though (sorry, I don't know the actresses names in the Tour) was much stronger than when I saw Shoshana Bean in New York. Overall I was just as impressed with the Tour as I was with the Broadway production.

And regarding the book... ugh. If I had only read the book, I would have NO desire to see the play. It was so hard to read and understand at times and there were certain parts that were just too disturbing for me. I did not enjoy it at all and I absolutely love reading. How they got such an amazing play out of the book still baffles me.

Has anybody else seen the National Tour? If so, does the very first scene feature the Ozians around a giant witch's hat as it does in New York? I noticed it was missing and was just wondering if this element was cut from the show for some reason or if it was just missing that night I saw it.

• Feeling LOVED

I agree with everyone...this has to be one of the best musicals of all time. Last week I took a trip to Universal just for Wicked Wednesdays. This was the last one for the year and the perfomers were Megan and Eden. Here are a couple of pics. They only perfomed for 15 minutes and Megan sang "Popular" and Eden sang "No good deed." Together they sang "For good" I just have to say Unbelieveable.

HEARTS CLUB !!

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Ohhh... I didn't realize Megan Hilty was performing in a show somewhere.
    Yes, she is in LA at the Pantages. And wow after seeing her, I can't imagine anyone else being in the "Glinda with a GA" role!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Former Loiterer

DizDee, where were you sitting on Sunday? We had seats in the orchestra (yay for discount tickets!) and it was amazing. I can't believe how amazingly good the standby's were! Emily Rozek was AWESOME as Glinda. I have waited three years to see this show (I even had 3rd row orchestra seats when it was here the first time and my friend screwed up and we missed it...). I was NOT disappointed. I wanna go AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    And, yes, Eden Espinosa is ridiculously good! I was really impressed with her voice. Just incredible. Actually, I preferred it to Idina Menzel's, which may, in fact, be sacreligious (did I spell that right? Anyway...) I also really liked Adam Lambert as Fiyero. He seemed like someone said "We need an Ashton Kutcher-type who can sing and actually act," and then they found him. Also, Emily Rozek kind of reminded me of Nicole Sullivan (previously of MadTV). I don't know why. At any rate, the whole cast was AMAZING!!!!

This show is so worthy of caps and exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Disneyland Grandee

OH my gosh Mom2dzneboys - I would have loved to have seen that!!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by hebessica View Post
    DizDee, where were you sitting on Sunday?
    Orchestra QQ, great seats.
    Ya know, as I looked around, I don't think there is a bad seat at the Pantages.
    ~~Jodi~~

• Former Loiterer

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    Orchestra QQ, great seats.
    Ya know, as I looked around, I don't think there is a bad seat at the Pantages.
    True that. I've sat in the VERY last row in the balcony to see the Producers there as well as far stage right orchestra (in the triangle) for Riverdance and they were both great seats.

Our seats for Wicked were really quite perfect actually. I got the tickets through a discount program at my work, so I couldn't actually choose my seats, but they were really good. Orchestra U, just in front of the balcony overhang. Though we were a little stage left, there was still a great view of the whole stage. And what a procenium on that stage! Great set design.

I love the Pantages, too. What a beautiful theatre. It's a shame they don't build them like that anymore...
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

I can't wait!!!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I can't wait!!!
    And I can't wait to hear your review!!!

Not that I'm expecting it to be any different than anyone else's, because we all it!
    ~~Jodi~~

Here's what I posted in my journal-

So we saw Wicked last night. Oh. My. Gods. What a fantastic show. Eden Espinoza... what a voice. And I love love LOVE the dress she wears in the second half. Megan Hilty- perfect as Galinda. She did "ditz" so very well. She was fantastic. Carol Kane was Madame Morrible- she was perfect. I can't think anybody else could do it as well. She commanded the stage. You can hear the voice and remember "Princess Bride" and "Scrooged" but she's not typecast. And she can sing.
    "I'm Not That Girl" made me cry. Then again, so did the flying bit in "Defy Gravity". I was expecting her to fly, but the thing with her dress.......... I swear I did cry. She raises up and she's singing and the skirt... Oh, yeah.
    "As Long as I Have you" made me cry again. Story of my dating life, there, "no future for us as a pair". Sigh.
    I love the clockwork images everywhere. Things slide in from the sides and come down from the back... I was trying to figure out how many slider tracks they have in the back of that last show portal upstage. A couple different things seemed to be on the same lineset.
    I liked how they wove in the Tin Man, the Scarecrow and the Lion, tying it back to Elphaba. I loved how the guards strung up Fiyero (dude in bondage, what's not to like?). And Elphaba did what she could to help him with her spellbook.
    "My roommate is.... blonde." Made me giggle crazily. Subway and bus back to the car, drive home, it's late.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Here's what I posted in my journal-

So we saw Wicked last night. Oh. My. Gods. What a fantastic show. Eden Espinoza... what a voice. And I love love LOVE the dress she wears in the second half. Megan Hilty- perfect as Galinda. She did "ditz" so very well. She was fantastic. Carol Kane was Madame Morrible- she was perfect. I can't think anybody else could do it as well. She commanded the stage. You can hear the voice and remember "Princess Bride" and "Scrooged" but she's not typecast. And she can sing.
    "I'm Not That Girl" made me cry. Then again, so did the flying bit in "Defy Gravity". I was expecting her to fly, but the thing with her dress.......... I swear I did cry. She raises up and she's singing and the skirt... Oh, yeah.
    "As Long as I Have you" made me cry again. Story of my dating life, there, "no future for us as a pair". Sigh.
    I love the clockwork images everywhere. Things slide in from the sides and come down from the back... I was trying to figure out how many slider tracks they have in the back of that last show portal upstage. A couple different things seemed to be on the same lineset.
    I liked how they wove in the Tin Man, the Scarecrow and the Lion, tying it back to Elphaba. I loved how the guards strung up Fiyero (dude in bondage, what's not to like?). And Elphaba did what she could to help him with her spellbook.
    "My roommate is.... blonde." Made me giggle crazily. Subway and bus back to the car, drive home, it's late.
    Just a small correction - the duet between Elphaba and Fiyero is called "As Long as You're Mine". I swear though, I could see this show a hundred times and still be amazed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Just a small correction - the duet between Elphaba and Fiyero is called "As Long as You're Mine". I swear though, I could see this show a hundred times and still be amazed by it.
    I didn't have the CD in front of me so I apologize for getting the title wrong.

I think I could see it that much, too, and still be amazed. The visuals, the singing, the story, are just too awesome.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast