Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Elvis: Your Favorites, and any other thoughts about "The King"

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    We are now entering into my favorite time of summer, the Elvis movie season!

I know Elvis hated, hated making them, and I totally see why, but all that he hated about them is what makes the movies so great now. And by "great", I definitely mean "cheesy".

I saw Fun in Acapulco yesterday.
    Ha! That one was on TV Land today. I watched half of it when I came home for my lunch hour. OMG the acting was AWFUL! I was laughing so hard at the cheezefest.

My mom loves GI Blues, Blue Hawaii & Paradise Hawaiian Style. I like Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, Roustabout and Speedway (which was on the other weekend). They need to come out with an Elvis DVD box set that contains all of his movies.

Can anyone name a Non-Cheesy Elvis movie??
    Jailhouse Rock. It was one of the few more "serious" of his films.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

oops. double post.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

A signature should go here.

• Winter in Oceanside...

As cheesy as it is, I will admit to liking Blue Hawaii.

• Look.....at......me!

Favorite songs: In the Ghetto, If I Can Dream, Little less conversation, and rubberneckin'

Favorite Movie: Change of Habit (cheesy yes, but adorable!) to go along with rubberneckin' as a favorite song.

Got to see Graceland last year. It was pretty amazing. Equally amazing was going to Sun Studios and standing on the spot where he and Johnny Cash sang. I was actually listening to the Elvis station on Sirius the other day, and they were playing one of the songs from the Million Dollar Quartet, and it just amazed me how unbelievable his voice was in that unrehearsed setting in which they thought nobody was listening. Truly one of the best voices of all time.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Mom was a huge Elvis fan. As a result, I very much remember the day that he died. I heard in on the news first and had to tell her.

I was always fond of the Aloha from Hawaii concert and the Madison Square Garden concert in, I believe, 1972?

As far as songs go, I really like Suspicious Minds, Blue Moon of Kentucky, In the Ghetto, Polk Salad Annie, Way Down, and Can't Help Falling in Love with You.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Grumpy old man

My grandfather is the biggest Elvis fan I know. Growing up and going to my grandparents house, I'd hear at least 1 Elvis song, if not more. He had plenty of Elvis collectibles in the house, and he has had his Elvis hairdo for years, I don't think I've ever seen him, pictures included, without a pompadour. His love of Elvis makes gift shopping for him quite easy, as anything Elvis makes him happy.

Because of him I grew up with a big appreciation of the King. The King and the Beatles are two parts of my musical life that have been a part of me for as long as I can remember. I don't think there has ever been a time where I didn't enjoy Elvis' music.

I've never seen his movies, and have no real desire to. I also stray away from his later career and prefer to listen to his early stuff. There is only two musicians I can stand doing gospel, The King and the Man in Black, Johnny Cash. Maybe because they are the only two who do it so beautifully that it touches you even if you are not Christian.

My favorite Elvis songs are probably Heartbreak Hotel, In the Ghetto and Love Me Tender, but I love them all. I especially enjoy listening to The Million Dollar Quartet, a "bootleg" recording of Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash gathering in the Sun studios to have a good time and just sing together. I got my grandfather a CD of that performance for Christmas last year and he loves it, being a huge fan of all 4 men.

• Wonderful World

Elvis is the king. One of the greatest of all time. My favorite song of all time is If I can Dream. My other favorites would have to be Burning Love and his rendition of An American Trilogy.
    I'm back MiceChat

• Senior Minion

I have been to the bar where "Fun in Acapulco" was filmed. It overlooks a famous cliff Diving area. Expensive just to sit and have a drink at, but can be a very romantic place.
    Love Elvis.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Done and Gone

A fan of his music and the aura he had on stage in the clips I've seen. I wish things had turned out differently for him.

A few notes from some of the bigger Elvis fans in the family:

My mom is a huge Elvis fan. I was about 3 months old when she was driving home from nursing school and heard the news. To this day she still tears up when she mentions it.

My mother in law used to tell her kids jokingly that Elvis was her boyfriend, and the youngest would always ask, "Well won't dad be mad?!".

On a side note, my mom has become a big fan of the Elvis impersonator, Scot Bruce, that drops by Disneyland from time to time. She's followed him from Disneyland to all his other local stops. I am not usually a big fan of tribute/impersonator acts but this guys pretty good.

• Nela25

I'm a huge Elvis fan!! I love this time of year too, lots of Elvis movies on tv. I was only 2 years old when he died so it's weird that I am such a big fan but my dad loves Elvis too. Have been watching Elvis movies since I was a little girl. I watched Elvis & Me the other night. One of these days I plan to make it to Graceland. My favorite movie is probably Girl Happy. I can't pick a favorite song...so many "GREAT" ones!!

Music wouldn't be what it is today without him!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the comments so far. We are now only a couple of days away from the 30th anniversary of his passing.

How has Elvis's legacy affected your life, if at all?

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-15-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I figured we'd have more Elvis fans on these boards thn we apparently do.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Wonderful World

You know, the song If I Can Dream kinda pushed me to finish High School when I was struggling mightily. That is my favorite song of all time, by any person.
    I'm back MiceChat

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I figured we'd have more Elvis fans on these boards thn we apparently do.
    I am married to a huge Elvis fan (I think I said that before) so I am subjected to Elvis a lot. He was just okay IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast