Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• I love loop jokes.

Re: Banned books... I don't understand this!

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    How in you-know-who's name is The Bridge to Terabithia a "danger to children"?
    Christian TV told me so.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by French25Fan View Post
    Christian TV told me so.
    that brought back a memory
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I don't recall there being any banned books when I was in school, but then again I'm old. The Perks of Being a Wallflower was great, I bought it several years back because it looked interesting.

I think I am most upset about seeing Huck Finn and Catcher in the Rye on the list. Two of my favorites. I can understand the language used is not something we want to teach children to use or repeat but it is something that happened. These books represent a time in the US's history and should not be banned. It should open up discussions.

• Huh?

I find the funniest of all banned books to be:

American Heritage Dictionary (1969)

In 1978, an Eldon, Missouri library banned the dictionary because it contained 39 "objectionable" words. And, in 1987, the Anchorage School Board banned the dictionary for similar reasons, i.e., having slang definitions for words such as "bed," "knocker," and "balls."
    I'm surprised it wasn't banned for having naughty words period!
    -Tim

•   
    • So fetch

When I was younger if a book was on the banned list I would make a point of reading it. I read almost all the books on the permission slip bookshelf when I was in middle school.

• Directly directed

I'm surprised Alice in Wonderland wasn't on the list. It's on most. But banned books is partially the reason children today don't know who Tom Sawyer and Huck finn are. If they aren't exposed to those characters they don't care to visit TSI hence the neccesity of change.

• Shablagoo!

The problem with books is that they can give people ideas, and ideas are dangerous. I dislike censorship in all its forms. I dislike the editing of movies for TV, the banning of books, or the way some songs are edited for radio. Thank goodness for the freedom of speech.

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    The problem with books is that they can give people ideas, and ideas are dangerous. I dislike censorship in all its forms. I dislike the editing of movies for TV, the banning of books, or the way some songs are edited for radio. Thank goodness for the freedom of speech.
    HERE HERE!

Someone else telling you what's good for you is just as stupid as someone telling you what's bad for you! I think I'm capable of making that decision without someone doing it for me.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Therefore, they were banned from the schools and libraries, but not illegal to have.
    That's why I said the impression is much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    I think I am most upset about seeing Huck Finn and Catcher in the Rye on the list. Two of my favorites. I can understand the language used is not something we want to teach children to use or repeat but it is something that happened. These books represent a time in the US's history and should not be banned. It should open up discussions.
    I love how the vulgar language used in The Catcher in the Rye is something that Holden takes offense to and tries to erase. Its merely the presence and not the context that is objected to.

• in technicolor!

I remember even in my senior year of honors English we had to have a permission slip signed to read some of the novels. It was pretty ridiculous, seeing as most of the students had read the books before.

Actually, most of the books I read during high school are on that list. Ironic.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    Banned books is one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't personally think any book should be banned. I think parents should be involved in what their children are reading and be responsible for deciding whether or not it's appropriate.
    Bingo!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Drugs, date rape, suicide, homosexuality, sex abuse, basically it hits on all the taboo subjects. I really recommend it. It's a fast read, and it really doesn't glorify anything negative; it just opens the reader's eyes about them.
    sounds like everything an adolecent(sp) middleschooler and high schooler has to deal with these days. I think it's time for parents to get their heads out of the sand and realise that children are growing up and if you can't help them face the world you better find a way for them to do it. Frank discussions are the way to go not, " oh this is too contriversial for my baby to read." and of course it's their baby that gets drunk and drives or gets high and jumps in front of a moving car. and those are just two examples of what happened when my kids were in high school.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by French25Fan View Post
    Christian TV told me so.

Actually.... I had a parent (in my first year of teaching..was a 5th grade classroom), that absolutely went off on me for reading Harry Potter... (all the other parents and admin were fine with it)....

AND the reason was..."because of when they kill the unicorn and cut off it's head and Harry Potter drinks the blood." (Wot the?) When I asked her to show me WHERE in the book that was.. she told me that she didn't read the book and would never read the book and that her Pastor told her congregation about it.

As a result of this ONE parent's tirade, the entire school was unable to attend a free-screening of HP as she went to the board and felt "we need to protect the souls of these children."

(Thank goodness I was only there one year). At the school I am at now, we have LOTS of those "banned" books on the shelves and if a parent doesn't want the child to read them, they merely notifiy the librarian and the child can't check them out.

I read the classics to my kids all the time (Special Ed K-8th) We have read Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz series, and just started on the 1921 Dr. Doolittle series. (In Dr. Doolittle, the only thing I had to censor was a derogatory name for african americans -begins with "n." This wasn't used in a degoratory way in the book, but was used as a term instead of native peoples, etc." One of the unfortunate terms of the time. We discussed the word (as my kids would look through the book), why it was used, and now how can we work around it when we read. We decided as a class to substitue a much nicer word and my kids decided to use the term "the people" ("Cause aren't t we all just people anyways? - their rational! ) (LOVED IT!!)...and we went on to enjoy the book.

But Miss Violet...I agree with you completely. And as you can see, banned books are a HUGE complaint of mine!!!
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 08-11-2007 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I use it to my advantage when I teach High School. As soon as I mention a text is banned in some areas...the wonder of 'taboo' subjects gets the kids to read and read fast.

Go figure.

So anyone who 'bans' a book, might do more by not saying anything.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss is a favorite of mine and that is banned too. It's only banned in logging areas though I heard.
    What's next ? Banning "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish. Blue Fish" in fishing communities?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast