Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: Banned books... I don't understand this!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I have this great button that I wear when I work at the bookstore: I read banned books. There are a few who tell me it is good to ban some books. I am use to this comment and don't get too upset, I mearly say that the Bible is one of the heavies contested book. That usually shuts them up.
    The Bible is one of the greatest works of fiction ever written ...

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    The Bible is one of the greatest works of fiction ever written ...
    Head yourself on over to the Debate Lounge, Mister (girl?)!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Head yourself on over to the Debate Lounge, Mister (girl?)!
    Mister will do just fine. And debate? It's not my fault the Bible is about as realistic as Harry Potter! Oh dear - I'm not heading in a good direction am I?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I believe it is because of language, they use the N word a lot and Huck runs away with a slave.

I'm not agreeing, I'm just reporting.
    It's a little more complex than that. It's not only the fact that the book contains the N word, but also that the author was white, which compounds the problematic nature of it (personally, I don't have too much of a problem with Twain or his book).

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    So does rap music Not to say it's okay or anything, but that was life back then and it's wrong for us to ignore the facts.
    The facts of what, fiction?

Also, when rap music contains the N word, primarily, the artist using it isn't white. That doesn't make it right or excusable, but the context changes greatly when it's used by someone who isn't Black.

Sure, usage of the word was an every day commonplace occurence in the time period that the book was written (and in which the story takes place), but a lot of schools and educators would just rather bypass the issue than deal with it. That's the real problem with book banning - not the contents of a given book, or the context in which it should be read, but the fact that schools are unwilling to actually teach anything, like context, history, or even the concepts of right and wrong.

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

Banned books are only banned from places that get government monies (public schools, libraries) Am I right on this? I think you can still get "banned" books from bookstores. Geez, just shell out some money. And "banning" books only makes more people read them, so it's counteractive.

"Huck Finn" is a fantastic book. Except every scene that had Tom Sawyer in it. Yeesh, he was a real plot-sucker.

• I'm not wearing a scarf!

I hope when I write a book, it's banned from libraries. My sales would then increase and I'll be rich!

• Clearing my Calendar

Just to make sure I understand the nature of banned books: it is only in school libraries right? Or are public libraries included?

I know you can buy them, though.

I think the idea of blanket banning a work is ridiculous. If a parent wants to make an individual decision on their child(ren) then it's a different story. But I'm tired of the government trying to hold the country's hand. We can walk on our own without falling over.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Mister will do just fine. And debate? It's not my fault the Bible is about as realistic as Harry Potter! Oh dear - I'm not heading in a good direction am I?
    No.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Cast Member

With regards to Huck Finn using the "N word" a lot, the whole book is about the injustices of Racism and, especially for it being written before the turn of the 20th century, was a big thing.
    And the irony of Fahrenheit 451 being banned is priceless. That's a brilliant book that you should read if you haven't done so already; especially since it deals directly with this issue (and much much more...)

Soon, To Kill A Mockingbird will be banned since it deals with the "R word" and says the "N word" too. Then The Giver since that has sex, Lord of the Flies since its so violent (I think it is banned), and then 1984 since that has sex AND violence. Soon, no one will be reading any books in class anymore.

(Sorry about that rant at the end).
    The Mandalorian Always Wins...

• I Love Teaching!

Shoot...I would just like my students to read...maybe I need to get a "Banned Books Book Shelf" that might interest them....
    Last edited by socaldisneygal; 08-22-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: the teacher should spell students correctly

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

^^ Ha! Perhaps it would! Kids/teens like being outlaws!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Sure, usage of the word was an every day commonplace occurence in the time period that the book was written (and in which the story takes place), but a lot of schools and educators would just rather bypass the issue than deal with it. That's the real problem with book banning - not the contents of a given book, or the context in which it should be read, but the fact that schools are unwilling to actually teach anything, like context, history, or even the concepts of right and wrong.
    I competely and totally agree with you TiaDalmaFan. Which is why I made such a point of having a discussion with my class regarding why the "N" word was used in Dr. Doolittle in 1921. (And their feelings regarding it..and problem solved together on what to do when we encountered in in the book..again I love the "we are all just people" statement that they came up with. ) We talked about the times, the history, and right and wrong. And like you, I wish more instructors (and parents) would take the time to discuss WHY a book might be controversal, banned, or have a word that would be offensive in it. AND (yes I know I'm starting a sentence with 'and' lol), ...AND the concept of right and wrong.

As for unwilling to teach context, history, concepts, etc...one of my huge buttons with a lot of other instructors is this... How are are kids supposed to understand the concept of what is "right" if they are never encounter history's "wrongs." (I hope that made sense.) What you get when you wrap a society in philosopical "bubble wrap" is a society that, while protected, and innocent, and gets to pop the bubbles; is a society that when is finally exposed to reality...doesn't have a clue and is therefore, unable to learn from previous mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Speaking about Huck Finn, I heard that when it was first written, Twain was given a lot of phraise by the African American community because of his character, Jim. From what I understand, Jim is perhaps one of the few, if not only, slave characters in literary history that was actually portrayed as an average human being with feelings and not a piece of property. It seems like Twain went against the grain of society with this character when Huck Finn was first written and published.

If anything, I think this book promoted unity amongst all people, of all races, and nailed the fact that we should love one another.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234