Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: How Can Hip Hop be Dead, When Wu-Tang is Forever?

Alright everybody, just listen to me
    Turn off the radio and the TV
    I got somethin to say and I'll say it now
    You'll be so amazed I'll hear you say wow
    Just stop arguin' here, this ain't the place
    If you don't agree, then I'll punch you in the face.

Word to your mother.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Seriously? If RZA says hip hop ain't dead, it must be true. Cancel the memorial service!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

The Ew-Tang clan!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Then let me ask you a question, why bother posting the article in the first place if you didn't expect people to come in and make comments? Positive or negative you would have to expect on a message board for people to have an opinion, regardless of the topic at hand?
    Yeah, I fully expected comments, I was just hoping they'd be comments related to the specific topic, i.e., the return of the Wu-Tang Clan and/or the Rock the Bells Festival Tour. Some have been. Yours is more of a general "I don't know much about hip hop, but I'm not a fan." Yeah, okay.

If I haven't heard much quality hip hop, I sincerely ask that you give me something I could download off Itunes and then we can have a discussion regarding Hip Hop. Not that it would make me an expert but it would give us a reason to cover the topic your bringing up here no?
    Most of the acts listed on the Rock the Bells lineup would be great places to start, including Talib Kweli, Mos Def, the Roots, Nas, Pharoahe Monch, MFDoom, Blackalicious, Murs 3:16, and Public Enemy. I'd also recommend Lupe Fiasco, Common, Lyrics Born, Del the Funkee Homosapien, and dead prez. I also like Jay-Z and Kanye West. Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G. are still very well respected hip hop artists. KRS-One, Eric B & Rakim, LL Cool J, Run-DMC, Big Daddy Kane, The Fugees, the Jungle Brothers, MC Lyte... I could go on. The thing to remember with hip hop is that every artist and every album is different; you might like every album from one artist, none from another, some but not all from yet another. For example, I'm not particularly fond of a lot of Southern crunk-style hip hop, but I do find myself liking various tracks from Ludacris or Paul Wall every so often.

Again, I am a little confused as to why you post something and not expect people's comments on it. If you were just posting to post, I would imagine a personal blog would be a better outlet for what your going for.
    Never said I didn't expect comments on it, but unrelated, arbitrary "I don't like hip hop and this is why" comments are really rather off-topic.
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 08-14-2007 at 11:38 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Yeah, I fully expected comments, I was just hoping they'd be comments related to the specific topic, i.e., the return of the Wu-Tang Clan and/or the Rock the Bells Festival Tour. Some have been. Yours is more of a general "I don't know much about hip hop, but I'm not a fan." Yeah, okay.
    Looking for nothing but good comments on a board like this is like going to Disneyland and thinking no one will say anything about the wire Tinkerbell is using.

I already explained to you the reason behind my post and that I was looking for more information, your thread gives me the ability to do that.

Most of the acts listed on the Rock the Bells lineup would be great places to start, including Talib Kweli, Mos Def, the Roots, Nas, Pharoahe Monch, MFDoom, Blackalicious, Murs 3:16, and Public Enemy. I'd also recommend Lupe Fiasco, Common, Lyrics Born, Del the Funkee Homosapien, and dead prez. I also like Jay-Z and Kanye West. Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G. are still very well respected hip hop artists. The thing to remember with hip hop is that every artist and every album is different; you might like every album from one artist, none from another, some but not all from yet another. For example, I'm not particularly fond of a lot of Southern crunk-style hip hop, but I do find myself liking various tracks from Ludacris or Paul Wall every so often.
    Excellent, I will start with some of those once I get home. Any particular song you prefer?

Never said I didn't expect comments on it, but unrelated, arbitrary "I don't like hip hop and this is why" comments are really rather off-topic.
    Just because a person disagrees with your point of view does not mean that the person is speaking "off topic" Having read the article you listed it lead me to express my viewpoint regarding hip hop which lead to the obvious need to ask for examples of good hip hop. As you disagreed that any hip hop I may have heard in the past isn't that great, although an assumption, I did ask for some input.

Instead of pulling out the guns blazing maybe you might try and approach someone with a different point of view in hopes of showing them your side of the story and they might actually change their mind about the topic at hand.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

It's a thread about hip hop. She doesn't like hip hop. Just because you don't like her opinion, doesn't mean she can't post it. The TS does not have the right to decide what gets posted in their thread, as long as it's related to the topic and so far I have seen nothing that isn't.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Banned User

Looking for nothing but good comments on a board like this is like going to Disneyland and thinking no one will say anything about the wire Tinkerbell is using.
    Didn't say I was only looking for good comments. Was just hoping they'd be related more specifically to the article.

I already explained to you the reason behind my post and that I was looking for more information, your thread gives me the ability to do that.
    Sorry, didn't realize that "I've never liked hip hop and I don't know why" was a request for information.

Excellent, I will start with some of those once I get home. Any particular song you prefer?
    A few, sure:

Talib Kweli: Get By; I Try
    Mos Def: Ms. Fat Booty; Umi Says
    The Roots: You Got Me; The Seed (2.0); Break You Off
    Nas: One Mic; It Ain't Hard To Tell; I Can; Hate Me Now; Thief's Theme
    Public Enemy: Fight the Power; Don't Believe the Hype; 911 Is A Joke
    Lupe Fiasco: Kick, Push; Daydreamin'
    Common: I Used to Love H.E.R.; The Light; A Song for Assata; The Corner; Testify
    Kanye West: both albums to date; All Falls Down; Jesus Walks; Never Let Me Down; Two Words; Through the Wire; Family Business; Heard 'Em Say; Touch the Sky; Drive Slow; Hey Mama; Diamonds from Sierra Leone (original or remix)

Just because a person disagrees with your point of view does not mean that the person is speaking "off topic."
    Didn't realize you were disagreeing. Also didn't realize I gave a point of view, other than recommending the tour.

Having read the article you listed it lead me to express my viewpoint regarding hip hop which lead to the obvious need to ask for examples of good hip hop. As you disagreed that any hip hop I may have heard in the past isn't that great, although an assumption, I did ask for some input.

Instead of pulling out the guns blazing maybe you might try and approach someone with a different point of view in hopes of showing them your side of the story and they might actually change their mind about the topic at hand.
    No guns blazin' here; your initial comment was just sort of random and not clearly related to the article topic. Sorry for ruffling your feathers.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    It's a thread about hip hop. She doesn't like hip hop. Just because you don't like her opinion, doesn't mean she can't post it.
    Never said she couldn't post her opinion, and whether I like or don't like her opinion is beside the point. First thing out of my mouth was "that's fine." Just questioned why she would make that opinion known, when it isn't specifically related to the topic in question. Sure, it's a thread about a hip hop artist and tour, but it's not about hip hop as a general subject. It's about a specific artist and a specific tour.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    The TS does not have the right to decide what gets posted in their thread, as long as it's related to the topic and so far I have seen nothing that isn't.
    Not deciding anything; just questioning why anyone would post a general opinion about something they don't like when a specific topic is what the thread is about.

It'd be like me going into a thread about, say, Club 33, and stating "I've never liked sit-down restaurants." OK, so noted, but what does that have to do with Club 33 specifically? Got an opinion about Club 33? No? Well, thanks for sharing anyway.

And here endeth the sidebar drama.

• Winter in Oceanside...

This may be off topic. If so, I apologize in advance and we can discuss this in another thread.

As a generalization: Why is it that it those who appreciate rap/hip hop music seems to be so defensive of it if someone doesn't appreciate that style of music. There are also many who dislike country, or opera, or heavy metal music, but those fans just don't seem to care if the rest of the world doesn't like their music. You won't hear a country fan lament that "you all just don't understand the social significance, or the poetry, or the history of our music" - again, I'm generalizing. And it can't be because more people hate hip hop/rap than country. Probably half the U.S. hates country and the other half loves it. I might assume that split is probably true of rap/hip hop as well.

Just curious.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Never said she couldn't post her opinion, and whether I like or don't like her opinion is beside the point. First thing out of my mouth was "that's fine." Just questioned why she would make that opinion known, when it isn't specifically related to the topic in question. Sure, it's a thread about a hip hop artist and tour, but it's not about hip hop as a general subject. It's about a specific artist and a specific tour.
    Yes, but follow my thought process here. Article about hip hop, information regarding concert, my personal opinion regarding hip hop, posting personal opinion regarding hip hop. If I started talking about what record label that this particular artist was under, by your definition that would still be off topic. However with the current subject at hand I think most people would agree that talking about his record label would be acceptable, as it still involves Wu Tang. In this particular instance I took the conversation in another direction, voicing my opinion regarding Hip Hop, while I didn't come out and say something like, "I don't like Wu Tang's music." I think we can all agree here that the topic is still related. Generalizing my comments as you are doesn't change the fact that I was absolutely on topic with what I was saying. As you have stated numerous times that you basically wanted opinions regarding the concert series it leaves very little substance to speak about when it's human nature for conversations to drift from one thing to another.

Not deciding anything; just questioning why anyone would post a general opinion about something they don't like when a specific topic is what the thread is about.

It'd be like me going into a thread about, say, Club 33, and stating "I've never liked sit-down restaurants." OK, so noted, but what does that have to do with Club 33 specifically? Got an opinion about Club 33? No? Well, thanks for sharing anyway.

And here endeth the sidebar drama.
    But I didn't, I was referring to the style of music and correct me if I am wrong, Wu Tang is a Hip Hop Artist, so wouldn't that make it relevant?

Also on your comment above, using the same analogy I can say you would be correct if I had said something like, "I'm not really a fan of music." That's to broad, but specifically talking about the type of music that Wu Tang produces most definitely keeps me on topic.

On a side note, I took debate in high school, it takes a lot to get my feathers ruffled as you put it, I am far from upset at all, just doing what I think anyone else would do, try and show my side of it.

• For old time sake

<sigh> Someone likes to debate/argue/create drama. Sorry but just looking at the lyrics to the songs recommended, makes me not want to listen to any of them. That is my opinion, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Banned User

Yes, but follow my thought process here. Article about hip hop, information regarding concert, my personal opinion regarding hip hop, posting personal opinion regarding hip hop. If I started talking about what record label that this particular artist was under, by your definition that would still be off topic. However with the current subject at hand I think most people would agree that talking about his record label would be acceptable, as it still involves Wu Tang. In this particular instance I took the conversation in another direction, voicing my opinion regarding Hip Hop, while I didn't come out and say something like, "I don't like Wu Tang's music." I think we can all agree here that the topic is still related. Generalizing my comments as you are doesn't change the fact that I was absolutely on topic with what I was saying. As you have stated numerous times that you basically wanted opinions regarding the concert series it leaves very little substance to speak about when it's human nature for conversations to drift from one thing to another.
    OK.

But I didn't, I was referring to the style of music and correct me if I am wrong, Wu Tang is a Hip Hop Artist, so wouldn't that make it relevant?
    Yes, the Wu Tang Clan is a hip hop group, so yes, in a very broad, general sense, your brief comments were related to the topic. But only in a very broad, general sense.

Also on your comment above, using the same analogy I can say you would be correct if I had said something like, "I'm not really a fan of music." That's to broad, but specifically talking about the type of music that Wu Tang produces most definitely keeps me on topic.
    I disagree, but OK.

On a side note, I took debate in high school, it takes a lot to get my feathers ruffled as you put it, I am far from upset at all, just doing what I think anyone else would do, try and show my side of it.
    OK. Thanks for your input.

• Circle of Ancients

Hip Hop is indeed dead ...

Why???

Look at the state of "Current" Hip-Hop. In MY opinion, it just sucks. No great groups like back in the day. Run-DMC, Eric B. and Rakim, Public Enemy, and the list can go on and on. After about '98 Hip-Hop is dead to me.

Wu-Tang ... never got into them.

• Circle of Ancients

Actually, I do have to add something ... There is one good current hip-hop group.

The Roots.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    Sorry but just looking at the lyrics to the songs recommended, makes me not want to listen to any of them.
    Which ones in particular do you have problems with?

This is one of my favorites:

Artist: The Roots feat. Erykah Badu & Eve
    Album: Things Fall Apart
    Song: You Got Me

Chorus: Erykah Badu (repeat 2X)

If you were worried 'bout where
    I been or who I saw or
    what club I went to with my homies
    baby don't worry you know that you got me

(Black Thought)
    Somebody told me that this planet was small
    we use to live in the same building on the same floor
    and never met before
    until I'm overseas on tour
    and peep this Ethiopian queen from Philly
    taking classes abroad
    she studyin' film and photo/flash/focus/record
    said she workin' on a flick and
    could my click do the score?
    she said she loved my show in Paris
    at Elysee Montmartre
    and that I stepped off the stage
    and took a piece of her heart
    we knew from the start that
    things fall apart, intentions shatter
    she like "that sh*t don't matter"
    when I get home - get at her
    through letter, phone, whatever
    let's link, let's get together
    sh*t, you think not? think the Thought went home and forgot?
    time passed, we back in Philly now she up in my spot
    tellin' me the things I'm tellin' her is makin' her hot
    startin' buildin' with her constantly round the clock
    now she in my world like hip-hop
    and keep tellin' me

(Chorus)

[Black Thought]
    Yo, I'm the type that's always catchin' a flight
    and sometimes I gotta be out at the height of the night
    and that's when she flip and get on some ol'

[Eve]
    Another lonely night?
    seem like I'm on the side; you only loving your mic...
    I know you gotta get that paper, daddy; keep that sh*t tight
    but yo - I need some sort of love in my life, you dig me?
    while politickin' with my sister from New York City
    she said she know this ballplayer, and he think I'm pretty...
    Psych!!
    I'm playin' boo; you know it's just wit' you I'm stayin', boo
    and when cats be poppin' game, I don't hear what they sayin', boo
    when you out there in the world, I'm still your girl
    with all my classes I don't have the time for life's thrills
    so when you sweatin' on stage think of me when you rhyme
    and don't be listenin' to your homies; they be leavin' you blind

[Black] Yeah, so what you sayin'; I can trust you?
    [Eve] Is you crazy? you my king fa real!
    [Both] But sometimes relationships get ill
    [Eve] No doubt

(Chorus)

[Black Thought]
    Thet snake could be that chick
    and that rat could be that cool cat
    that's whisperin' "she tryin' to play you for the fool, Black"
    if something's on your chest then let it be known
    see I'm not your every-five-minutes-all-on-the-phone
    and on the topic of trust, it's just a matter of fact
    that people bite back and fracture what's intact
    and they'll forever be; I ain't on some "oh I'm a celebrity" -