Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: How Can Hip Hop be Dead, When Wu-Tang is Forever?

Not to sound like a jerk, but who cares if hip hop is dead? If you love it, it will always remain alive, in your heart. If you don't, it doesn't matter anyway.

Peace.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk, but who cares if hip hop is dead? If you love it, it will always remain alive, in your heart. If you don't, it doesn't matter anyway.

Peace.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Peace.
    Well said. *nods head*

And no, you don't sound like a jerk at all.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Banned User

Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead (2006)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>One of my favorite hip hop videos (and songs) of all time, Talib Kweli's Get By, from his 2002 album Quality:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>Talib Kweli's I Try, from his 2004 album The Beautiful Struggle -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>The Roots again, with Break You Off (featuring Musiq Soulchild), from their 2002 album Phrenology:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>Lupe Fiasco's Kick, Push is both fresh and classic at the same time (how could anyone have a problem with a song about skateboarding?):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>Lupe keeps it eclectic, with some help from Jill Scott and a toy robot, in Daydreaming:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>
    Classic Wu Tang Clan; C.R.E.A.M., from their 1993 debut album Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers):

And of course, the Public Enemy classic, Fight the Power:

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    Well said. *nods head*

And no, you don't sound like a jerk at all.
    What I meant to say is, it's kind of like Santa Claus. You either believe he's real or you don't. You know?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    This may be off topic. If so, I apologize in advance and we can discuss this in another thread.

As a generalization: Why is it that it those who appreciate rap/hip hop music seems to be so defensive of it if someone doesn't appreciate that style of music. There are also many who dislike country, or opera, or heavy metal music, but those fans just don't seem to care if the rest of the world doesn't like their music. You won't hear a country fan lament that "you all just don't understand the social significance, or the poetry, or the history of our music" - again, I'm generalizing. And it can't be because more people hate hip hop/rap than country. Probably half the U.S. hates country and the other half loves it. I might assume that split is probably true of rap/hip hop as well.

Just curious.
    That's easy. Most people who dislike rap/hip hop say they don't like it because of it's content. That's stupid. Hip Hop is probably one of the most varied genres we have today.

Country music revolves around a few basic musical styles. Every musical genre has a "flavor". If you're a music major, one of the things your asked to do during a jury is to play different styles of music. Country, jazz, be-bop, rock, classic rock, etc all have distinct styles. Hip Hop does not. The focus of the music is lyrics and not musical styling per se.

Half of the country does not like Country music, but the MAJORITY of Americans "and non americans for that matter" like Hip Hop. How often do you see country music songs or albums on the top 10 as opposed to Rap/Hip Hop?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hip Hop is indeed dead ...

Why???

Look at the state of "Current" Hip-Hop. In MY opinion, it just sucks. No great groups like back in the day. Run-DMC, Eric B. and Rakim, Public Enemy, and the list can go on and on. After about '98 Hip-Hop is dead to me.

Wu-Tang ... never got into them.
    There are a lot of talented acts out there, but Rap/Hip Hop has basically lived out it's lifespan. Just about every musical genre that is unique to America follows a trend.It Starts as something local within the Black community. Other racial groups start listening in, and want to emulate the music. The music becomes a business. Consumption of the musical genre is done by mostly non-African Americans. The music becomes "corporatized" and loses it's purposes but makes lots of money. Something comes along to replace said music form.

Jazz, Be-bop, Rock, and now Rap are following this trend.

Peace.
    Meh. When Disney decided to axe 2-D animation, we all threw a fit despite having gobs of animated movies at home. We all rejoiced when they announced a new 2-D film. So I don't really believe that

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    That's easy. Most people who dislike rap/hip hop say they don't like it because of it's content. That's stupid. Hip Hop is probably one of the most varied genres we have today.

Country music revolves around a few basic musical styles. Every musical genre has a "flavor". If you're a music major, one of the things your asked to do during a jury is to play different styles of music. Country, jazz, be-bop, rock, classic rock, etc all have distinct styles. Hip Hop does not. The focus of the music is lyrics and not musical styling per se.
    What an excellent summary, thank you, I believe now I understand the reason behind why I don't enjoy Hip Hop. I tend to enjoy the beat, the feel and the flow of a song before I actually listen to the lyrics. Since Hip Hop is so lyric driven, I probably glaze over it because I am trying to find that "get up and dance" rhythm that I have yet to see in most of the hardcore Hip Hop songs. The lack of distinction is probably what gets me here, not necessarily the lyrics.

Now that isn't to say there are NO Hip Hop songs out there that I like, but I definitely understand why I'm not attracted to most of it now.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    What an excellent summary, thank you, I believe now I understand the reason behind why I don't enjoy Hip Hop. I tend to enjoy the beat, the feel and the flow of a song before I actually listen to the lyrics. Since Hip Hop is so lyric driven, I probably glaze over it because I am trying to find that "get up and dance" rhythm that I have yet to see in most of the hardcore Hip Hop songs. The lack of distinction is probably what gets me here, not necessarily the lyrics.

Now that isn't to say there are NO Hip Hop songs out there that I like, but I definitely understand why I'm not attracted to most of it now.
    In general, I'm like that too. I'll focus on the musicality of a song or piece rather than listen for lyrics. I've had albums for years and just realized what people have been saying!

In general, I detest rap, especially the 10 or 15 songs they loop all day on the radio, but if it has a nice beat, advanced chord structure, or interesting changes, I'll listen all day

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

In general, I'm like that too. I'll focus on the musicality of a song or piece rather than listen for lyrics. I've had albums for years and just realized what people have been saying!

In general, I detest rap, especially the 10 or 15 songs they loop all day on the radio, but if it has a nice beat, advanced chord structure, or interesting changes, I'll listen all day
    Exactly, which is why I have some Enimem tunes on my Ipod, love the beat, could care less about what he's saying.

• Banned User

In general, I detest rap, especially the 10 or 15 songs they loop all day on the radio,
    You still listen to corporate radio? No wonder you're dissatisfied with rap. Corporate radio is the worst place to hear quality hip hop.

but if it has a nice beat, advanced chord structure, or interesting changes, I'll listen all day
    The beat is a primary element of any good hip hop joint. Without a solid, head-moving beat, the flow becomes less noticable, thus defeating the purpose.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Thanks for the video links, I like finding new stuff!
    A signature should go here.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    You still listen to corporate radio? No wonder you're dissatisfied with rap. Corporate radio is the worst place to hear quality hip hop.
    I still listen to corporate radio. Now I understand why I'm dissatisfied with rap.

• Minion

Psshhh.... my iPod and iPhone are my best friends lol. Lately I've been getting into a lot of Japanese Hip Hop. These guys borrow SO heavily from American Jazz and Neo-Soul. Good stuff.

The beat is a primary element of any good hip hop joint. Without a solid, head-moving beat, the flow becomes less noticable, thus defeating the purpose.
    Yep.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Yes but I get to caught up in trying to hear what they have to say that the beat gets overshadowed, especially since most of them speak three beats faster than the beat of the music. So for me, it becomes a jumbled mess, it's difficult to get into a song and keep the beat when the person is talking like they are on speed or something. (Not to imply anything, please don't take it that way.)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Yes but I get to caught up in trying to hear what they have to say that the beat gets overshadowed, especially since most of them speak three beats faster than the beat of the music. So for me, it becomes a jumbled mess, it's difficult to get into a song and keep the beat when the person is talking like they are on speed or something.
    You've been listening to Twista lately, haven't you?

For me, hip hop music's appeal lies in two main areas - good, strong beats, and deft, creative wordplay. There are lots of hits and misses, but sometimes, whew, someone just nails it perfectly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast