Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: How Can Hip Hop be Dead, When Wu-Tang is Forever?

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    My childhood was terrible, but I no longer want to dwell on the negatives of my life. I don't want to hear music about living on welfare, having one pair of shoes, being dragged to bars by my alcoholic father while my mother tried to scrape together enough money so we could have our lights turned back on and have something to eat.

If that is all you want to focus on, then that is how your life will be focused.
    It all depends on where you're at in the present. I by no means live the life that some rappers do. I came from it, but it's nothing something I want to forget either. The people who have gone through the most tend to have the most character.

But for a lot of people that listen to that style of hip hop, it's still reality. It's downright depressing how the odds are stacked against you if you're from an impoverished neighborhood. It's possible to make it out of those situations, but most will not. It's unrealistic to even think that the majority will. I know I like to listen to music that helps me deal. Sugary happy lyrics just don't cut it.

But hey, you could always listen to some guy rap about his shoes, watch, chain, car, house, preferred alcoholic beverage, :insert material object here:

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    The people who have gone through the most tend to have the most character.
    Agreed!

But for a lot of people that listen to that style of hip hop, it's still reality. It's downright depressing how the odds are stacked against you if you're from an impoverished neighborhood. It's possible to make it out of those situations, but most will not. It's unrealistic to even think that the majority will. I know I like to listen to music that helps me deal. Sugary happy lyrics just don't cut it.
    I'm not talking about listening to sappy sweet music (ick), but listening ONLY to songs about impoverished neighborhoods and living it at the same time does nothing but keep you in that mind set. I'm not going so far to say that rap is bad stuff, but it sure isn't helping. And rap music is a BIG part of those stuck in this situation. Of course music is only one of the myriad of other variables that can keep you in that impoverished-neighborhood-I'm-never-gonna-get-out thinking.

•   

But at the same time a lot of the artists you see in Hip Hop and Rap now came from that life they rap about. They've been able to turn it around and make the best of it. Hip Hop and Rap is what got them out of that lifestyle and gave them something to strive for and help them succeed. Now they're wealthy and famous and can provide for their family more than ever. Some artists handle fame and money really well, Jay-Z for instance, and others don't.

I grew up a pretty normal lower-middleclass life. We went through a really hard time for a few years like most do. But.....if I had the skill and talent to sing or rap about my past, I guarantee it wouldn't sell. It would be boring and nobody would like it no matter how good my word play and beats would be.

If you could sing about your past and know that it would help out you and your family would you do it?

• Banned User

Agreed!

I'm not talking about listening to sappy sweet music (ick), but listening ONLY to songs about impoverished neighborhoods and living it at the same time does nothing but keep you in that mind set. I'm not going so far to say that rap is bad stuff, but it sure isn't helping. And rap music is a BIG part of those stuck in this situation. Of course music is only one of the myriad of other variables that can keep you in that impoverished-neighborhood-I'm-never-gonna-get-out thinking.
    I don't know if you're a Christian or not, but if you are, you might appreciate holy hip hop (Google the term). There are some very accomplished acts in Christian rap, too, like Da T.R.U.T.H., Grits, Gospel Gangstaz, Cross Movement, and others. It's probably the most prominent corner of the hip hop culture in which you'll consistently find positivity in the lyrics and the lifestyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>I've seen this last band, Soulfruit, perform live, and they're really great. I even met and chatted with the tall guy there; his name's Ty. Very very nice guy, very down to earth, friendly, and motivated.
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 08-16-2007 at 03:04 PM.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    I don't know if you're a Christian or not, but if you are, you might appreciate holy hip hop (Google the term). There are some very accomplished acts in Christian rap.
    Well, now that is very interesting. I had never heard of Christian Rap. I am not much of a practicing Christian, but it is good to hear there are positive notes to rap!

• Minion

I think that's getting a little deeper than music. I think there are a lack of positive role models. A lot of rap music revolves around materialism. I can't even tell you how many videos have some ridiculously expensive supercar in the middle of one of the poorest neighborhoods. Makes me sick. You can always tell people who've never had something, because they don't know how to act when they get it. Most rappers are incredibly narrow minded. They get 100,000 for a song and blow out on stupid stuff. Only a few are smart about it.

If there were more role models for my generation, I think things would be different, but that's another topic entirely.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I think that's getting a little deeper than music. I think there are a lack of positive role models. A lot of rap music revolves around materialism. I can't even tell you how many videos have some ridiculously expensive supercar in the middle of one of the poorest neighborhoods. Makes me sick. You can always tell people who've never had something, because they don't know how to act when they get it. Most rappers are incredibly narrow minded. They get 100,000 for a song and blow out on stupid stuff. Only a few are smart about it.

If there were more role models for my generation, I think things would be different, but that's another topic entirely.
    Absolutely! We're on the same page here.

• T i DuBL GuH eRR

Whoa finally a hip hop thread on MC. It's pretty much all I listen too, so I'll discuss a little here:

When Nas said that "hip hop is dead", I think it was more directed toward the rap music played on the radio. (Keyword: Rap) My take on hip hop and rap is that rap is the more commercial side of the genre, with most central topics on women, money, cars, jewlery, etc. The beats usually consists of a lot of bass and a repetitive synth rhythm, nowadays at least. To me, every rap song on the radio is the same, just with a different beat and lyrics switched around. So why listen to the radio, when every song basically says the same thing? What draws the mainstream audience to rap is the catchy, but repetitive hooks and the hard hitting beats. I used to listen to a lot of rap until I got to the point where I just got bored with it. That's when I found hip hop as my alternative, and I immediately fell in love with it. Hip hop includes a variety of topics. The beats come in a variety also, with a different blend of instruments, which make them more creative. Now the most important part: the lyrics. I love how hip hop artists present their topic in each song. The flow of words is smooth, while using different metaphors and similes to make the listener think. So hip hop isn't necessarily dead; just don't go looking for it on the radio, because you won't find any. Like Dead Prez said, "Turn off the radio" and find hip hop elsewhere.

One of the CD's I'm listening to a lot right now is Heroes in the City of Dope, a collaboration album by Zion I & The Grouch, with Amp Live. This album discusses a variety of topics, and it's done beautifully. "Trains And Planes" is about being homesick while touring in the US and overseas. "Make U Fly" is about how women are disrespected, and men take them for granted. "Digital Dirt" is about how many of our problems in society are due to our reliance and misuse of modern technology. Such problems are those who are stuck behind a computer screen or television screen playing video games while their whole life passes them by, the misuse of myspace by people who put up pictures of themselves nearly naked, to even the carelessness of car accidents caused by cell phone drivers. Grouch also put up a song about the joys of his newborn child, and vividly describes his feelings in his verses. "Bad Lands" is about Oakland and it's bad parts, which they feel masks Oakland's potential beauty. Grouch even goes on to criticize the "hyphy movement":
    "Goin' dumb isn't a movement, you're really goin' dumb"
    I'm glad that he addressed this too because ultimately this "hyphy movement" won't get my city of Oakland anywhere. The lyrics of hyphy songs are recycled over and over, and it plays out fast. This is an amazing album, and I would recommend this CD to anyone in search of good hip hop.

Another artist I'm listening to a lot right now is Murs, a LA emcee part of the "Living Legends" crew. His album Murray's Revenge is pretty nice. One of my favorite lines from it is on the track "Murs Day":
    "I'm better then your favorite rapper/but it don't take much these days for you to master the mic/Most of these rappers trapped in the hype/They makin' whole albums, only half of it's tight/So they never really have an impact on your life/That's why 3:16 was genius" (3:16 was an amazing album that he previously released)
    So true. A lot of rappers can release one or two hits, but when it comes down to it, it's only a club song. No songs on these commercial rap albums really sink into someone and have an impact on them. Not that every song has to make an impact on you, but if you enjoy club songs then by all means listen to them. All I can say is that 3:16 was genius.

And TiaDalmaFan, yes Kweli is still raw lol. His collabo with Mos Def on their Black Star album was crazy, and every one he released since then has still been fire. I believe Eardrum drops this Tuesday (finally, after being pushed back like 8763123 times)
    Last edited by TiggerGo; 08-16-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    "Difficult takes a day
    Impossible takes a week"
    - Jay-Z

• Ravenclaw

I think of Hip-Hop not solely as a musical form. To do that is simply missing the forest for the trees. Hip-Hop is more than just music; it's dance, it's graphing/writing, DJing, MCing...the four Elements of Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop represents the facets of a culture built around a foundation of repression, greed, torture, rape, slavery, injustice, murder, and...hope. I don't begrudge others their myopic opinions on Hip-Hop. Rather, I take their attitude as a challenge to educate and dispel generalisation.

Try these on for size-

DJ Shadow- Endtroducing..., The Private Press, Preemptive Strike
    DJ Krush- 'Q
    Blackalicious-Nia, Blazing Arrow, The Craft
    Orixas- A lo Cubano
    Gift of Gab- 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up!
    Lateef & The Chief- Maroons
    Control Machete- Si Señor
    The Roots- The Roots Come Alive
    Arrested Development- Tenessee, Mr. Wendal, Revolution, Give a Man a Fish
    Jurassic 5- Freedom, Hey, I Am Somebody, W.O.E. Is Me, Thin Line
    Molotov- Frijolero
    A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders
    Z-Trip w/ Chuck D.- Shock & Awe
    Z-Trip w/Murs & Supernatural- Breakfast Club
    Les Nubians- Princesses Nubiennes
    Ozomatli- Who's to Blame, Coming War, Superbowl Sundae, Saturday Night, Love & Hope

--nick--

Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Banned User

Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 08-18-2007 at 07:37 AM.

• Banned User

Really interesting news story about a group of young Palestinan refugees expressing themselves through rap music in a Beirut, Lebanon, nightclub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345