Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Singers that make my ears bleed...

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    Sarah McLachlan- In the Arms of the Angels.
    I know many people love this song, but something about her voice is like nails down a chalkboard for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

How can you hate Robert Goulet?

Coconut Bangers Ball...Best...Album...Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=p2zRGQX2QLo
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm with Summer ... Barbra totally bugs me. Don't like her singing, acting, etc.

The ONLY movie I could somewhat stand her in was Meet the Fockers.

I'd seriously rather hear nails on a chalkboard.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

ok what i can't stand is simple... teenyboppers who ar flavor of the month singers.... and hip hop / rap / urban "musicians". music has to have music... harmony and melody not just angry men shoting in a microphone about being from the 'hood when they live in million dollar mansions
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

There are a few genres I'm not fond of with mabe a few exceptions within each (Country, Rap, HipHop, teenie bopper Pop, Emocore, Numetal). It's way too easy for me to generalize all of these, so I won't. Plenty of people already make fun of my ridiculous and pretentous taste in music, so I try to avoid the " my music is better because..." additude I have a tendancy to have sometimes.

However.... I must say Lincoln Park really bores me. To me, every song sounds the same. I know I'm going get tarred and feathered now.Sooooo many other people I know between 15 and 25 love this band like no other.
    I know I said I'd try not to judge, but really, what's so great about them?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'm with Summer ... Barbra totally bugs me. Don't like her singing, acting, etc.

The ONLY movie I could somewhat stand her in was Meet the Fockers.

I'd seriously rather hear nails on a chalkboard.
    You don't like Barbra's singing or acting? Well at least she still has her looks.

Stunning.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by cerpin taxt View Post
    However.... I must say Lincoln Park really bores me. To me, every song sounds the same. I know I'm going get tarred and feathered now.Sooooo many other people I know between 15 and 25 love this band like no other.
    I know I said I'd try not to judge, but really, what's so great about them?

I'll have to say -- Linkin Park used to be one of the greatest bands we had. But now -- meh. I very much don't care for any of the songs on their latest album.

For me... it's hard for me to pinpoint. I don't have any singers really that would make my ears bleed.

I'm a music lover and I can appreciate just about any genre. There are genres that I don't care for, but even within those genres I can usually find *something* that I love.

As for Jim Nabors, his singing isn't my cup of tea, but I'm not his audience. Singers are there for their audience, not the ones that won't listen. You also have to understand the time that he was coming from -- It was VERY different than it is today. We still have celebrity albums, but it's not like it was back then. Many actors, such as Leonard Nemoy and Eddie Albert, were classically trained singers and recorded albums partially for that reason. But these were also ways for actors to do something for their fans, not necessarily for a top 10 hit. Novelty was big in those days and people didn't always expect others to sing well -- it was about entertaining the ears.

So, we have Sebastian Cabot reciting Bob Dylan songs, Mae West singing the Beatles, William Shatner forever being highly misunderstood, Andy Griffith (who is one of the best singers to come out of sitcoms), and the list goes on.

It was also a big time of change. Musical tastes were changing more dramatically than ever and the old crooners couldn't get the hits that they once did, so many were trying new things. Successes varied greatly. But it was turning into a very bad time for many, like when Ethel Merman, who hated disco, recorded a disco album. And then there were the unlikely transitions, like when Earl Skruggs, who many here may remember from Flatt & Skruggs, the bluegrass band that made a hit with the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies, started recording covers of Rolling Stones, Beatles, and other rock bands. Actually, it wasn't too bad of a crossover...

I'm not going to say you're wrong (although, I will warn that a comment about Björk could be dangerous around here!), but sometimes, you should put the old recordings into their historic context.
    -Tim

• Senior Minion

Anything by Britney, Cher, Barbra Streisand or Madonna make my ears bleed!!!

Plus anything hard rock, as my ears can't take anything loud or loud banging constantly.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    and hip hop / rap / urban "musicians". music has to have music... harmony and melody not just angry men shouting in a microphone about being from the 'hood when they live in million dollar mansions
    That's not true hip hop. There's much more to hip hop than what you've described, and there are actually many musicians employed by urban acts (R&B, Neo-Soul, Hip Hop, or a blend of them), including some hip hop artists like the Roots, which is a live band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>But in that broad brushstroke, you're including some very fine and very musical artists like Alicia Keys, Jill Scott, John Legend, Mary J. Blige, and other urban performers who have collaborated extensively with hip hop artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>Take a listen to this performance by Wyclef Jean and Mary J. Blige and tell me there's no music in it, there's no harmony, and no melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>Also, if you don't recognize that this song by Common and will.i.am is not only performed live with a mixture of standard instruments and electronic audio sampling, but is also melodic and harmonic, then you might not recognize music as well as you think you do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>What's this? Rapper Lupe Fiasco and singer Jill Scott performing together on Letterman. I see a guitar, a drum kit, a keyboard and -- GASP! -- violins! And it's all performed live.

Speaking of violins, did you know that there are hip hop violinists? Not just one, either.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I'll have to say -- Linkin Park used to be one of the greatest bands we had. But now -- meh. I very much don't care for any of the songs on their latest album.

For me... it's hard for me to pinpoint. I don't have any singers really that would make my ears bleed.

I'm a music lover and I can appreciate just about any genre. There are genres that I don't care for, but even within those genres I can usually find *something* that I love.

As for Jim Nabors, his singing isn't my cup of tea, but I'm not his audience. Singers are there for their audience, not the ones that won't listen. You also have to understand the time that he was coming from -- It was VERY different than it is today. We still have celebrity albums, but it's not like it was back then. Many actors, such as Leonard Nemoy and Eddie Albert, were classically trained singers and recorded albums partially for that reason. But these were also ways for actors to do something for their fans, not necessarily for a top 10 hit. Novelty was big in those days and people didn't always expect others to sing well -- it was about entertaining the ears.

So, we have Sebastian Cabot reciting Bob Dylan songs, Mae West singing the Beatles, William Shatner forever being highly misunderstood, Andy Griffith (who is one of the best singers to come out of sitcoms), and the list goes on.

It was also a big time of change. Musical tastes were changing more dramatically than ever and the old crooners couldn't get the hits that they once did, so many were trying new things. Successes varied greatly. But it was turning into a very bad time for many, like when Ethel Merman, who hated disco, recorded a disco album. And then there were the unlikely transitions, like when Earl Skruggs, who many here may remember from Flatt & Skruggs, the bluegrass band that made a hit with the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies, started recording covers of Rolling Stones, Beatles, and other rock bands. Actually, it wasn't too bad of a crossover...

I'm not going to say you're wrong (although, I will warn that a comment about Björk could be dangerous around here!), but sometimes, you should put the old recordings into their historic context.
    I couldn't have put it better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    Anything by Britney, Cher, Barbra Streisand or Madonna make my ears bleed!!!

Plus anything hard rock, as my ears can't take anything loud or loud banging constantly.
    How dare you! LOL Britney I can understand even though I like her, and Babs, well, she isn't my cup of tea and she tends to sound the same throughout all her songs. But Cher?! Come on! You just don't like the hits like "If I Could Turn Back Time," "Believe," and the stuff with Sonny?

...Joe...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Miriah Carey
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Miriah Carey
    Holy cow YES!!! Every one of her songs makes my ears bleed dry!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I love ABBA!!!! There, I said it.

Frankly anything that is connected to Death or Speed Metal literally hurts my ears. (ala GWAR - or anything that Beavis and Butthead enjoyed).
    exactly!!! and I love the old time singers, show tunes, you name it, but heavy metal OYE give me a towel for the blood coming from my ears!!!

• Minion

Pretty much everything that's played on that channel, "Fuse".

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Jessica Simpson and her sister....
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast