• Circle of Ancients

Review: Dave Matthews Band Live at the Hollywood Bowl

So last week I get a PM from my good friend Anders saying that his 'lovely lady' SunnyG couldn't make the DMB concert last night and he wanted to know if I'd like to join him.

Well, after checking with my own 'lovely lady' I accepted and we prepared to meet for the show.

This was not only to be my first time seeing one of my favorite bands, but also my first time at the Hollywood Bowl. Yes, I've lived in SoCal for all of my 32 years and this was my first trip to the Bowl. So sue me.

Anyway, we decided to park at the LA Zoo lot and take the shuttle to the bowl. Great decision as parking wasn't a hassle and it's only $3 for the round-trip ticket.

We arrived at the bowl just before the opening act Stephen Marley took the stage.

I thought it was WAY cool that Dave actually came out and introduced the opening act. Very rock star.

Stephen Marley sounded great. If I didn't know any better I'd say it was Bob himself on stage. He put on a great show playing some of his songs and some of Bob's. He had a "Flag Guy" on stage waving the Jamaican flag. Anders and I were joking that his arms must get tired.

The show started off rather mellow with the song A Dream So Real. A very emotional start to the show. Next up was one of my favorite songs Two Step. They played an awesome 10 to 15 minute version of the song and the crowd was VERY into the show.

Next up was #27 followed by another of my favorites Crush. Again, a nice extended version of the song. After Crush the band played #34 since it was Dave's wifes 34th birthday. Very cool, I'll bet he got some.

Next up was a 'new to me' song The Idea of You followed by another favorite Don't Drink the Water. For the next few songs he brought out Banjo great Danny Barnes to join him on stage. The first of MANY surprises of the night.

Next up a couple of more 'new to me' songs, Corn Bread, You Might Die Trying and Eh Hee. Lie in our Graves and the AWESOME Shotgun followed after that.

Next up, another suprise. John Mayer came on stage and played an awesome version of #41 with the band. John made a remark that he wouldn't be who he is without DMB. I'd have to agree. He blended with the band quite well and is a great guitar player.

Next up was the fan favorite Warehouse. It's always interesting the different songs that are "Crowd Participation" songs and that a DMB virgin didn't get for a few seconds. This was one of those moments. But I loved it.

Next up, another HUGE surprise. Not only did Dave bring Stephen Marley again, but also Ziggy Marley. They did an awesome rendition of the Bob Marley hit Exodus (complete with flag guy).

The finished up the show with Stay (wasting time) to huge ovations.

For the encore, they did something TOTALLY awesome. Since it was the last show of the tour, they brought out the entire road crew so the crowd could give them an ovation.

They did an encore of American Baby and Grey Street.

We thought they were going to come out for a 2nd encore, but it didn't happen.

I do have to say, my first DMB experience was something to remember. Anders equated it to taking somebody to Disneyland for the first time, and I have to kind of agree. After seeing the band once, you want to see them again.

Anders also asked me how this show compared to shows from my favorite band Rush.

All I can say is ... it's AS GOOD as a Rush show, but vastly different.

Rush is a band you go to see for the love of the music, for the musicianship of the band and you really can sit there and study the way they play.

With DMB, it's a date concert or a party concert. You got the hippies, you got the frat-boys and you got the date people. A very weird mix of people, but all having an awesome time at the show. Not to say you can't stand there and love the musicianship of the band. All 7 members are masters at what they do. They can turn a 4 minute song into a 15 minute jam and make it AWESOME. Not too many bands can do that.

Thanks for the tickets again Anders. Thanks to DMB for the awesome show. I will be back ... and with Belle at my side next time.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 10-03-2007 at 08:29 PM.

• Again! Again! Again!

Re: Review: Dave Matthews Band Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Yay!!! Glad you guys had such a good time!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Sounds like an awesome setlist, especially for your first show. I love DMB, and I'm so glad you got to go and enjoy the concert.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

OMG What a great review! John Mayer AND DMB, yeah I would have been a puddle on the floor.

Good for you clinks! It sounds like you had a great time!

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

So.Jealous.

I am glad you got to go and next time I am going!!!

Thank you again Anders and SunnyG!!!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    So.Jealous.

I am glad you got to go and next time I am going!!!

Thank you again Anders and SunnyG!!!
    Next time we'll ditch the kids and double date.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

So cool! I saw DMB a couple of years ago and the concert was awesome! I love all the random things that come out of his mouth and all the different instruments they use.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Great review and sounds like an amazing concert! Lucky! Glad you boys had fun.

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    Next time we'll ditch the kids and double date.
    YES!!! We will have to do that.
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

great review Gregg! This concert was my 19th time seeing Dave Matthews perform live, 17 with the Dave Matthews Band, once with Tim Reynolds and once with his "Friends". This concert was definitely right up there with the best I've seen him do. Of the actual DMB shows that I've been to, it is easily one of the top three or four I've seen.

Stephen Marley as the opener was great, he really does sound a lot like his father. Once DMB came on the stage, you could tell it was a great night just waiting to unfold. They played a lot of newer unreleased songs early on in the set, but they're great songs that will hopefully find their way onto a future DMB album. Two of my favorite DMB songs of all time are Two Step and #41 and to have both of them in one night was great, especially with John Mayer just ripping it up during #41. I'm not a huge fan of his solo music, but he sure can play a mean guitar.

Then to have Stephen Marley and Ziggy Marley come out and perform Exodus with DMB as the backup band and then having the Marley Brothers head over to Dave and get him to sing as well, it was just amazing. (For those that don't know, DMB has played Exodus as a cover song since the early days of the band with Dave singing lead.) Not only did DMB look like they were having a great time, but the Marley brothers were just loving the Bowl audience.

I haven't even mentioned Danny Barnes sitting in with the band for five songs! His playing on Lie in our Graves was amazing.

With all that said, I can't wait til they come back so I can get my 20th show overall and hopefully even my 20th DMB show as well!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Awwwww, how cute. You guys had a man date!!!

Glad you guys had fun on your man date

• is too darn hot.

So it's your fault I was late to the gig in Hollywood. The traffic was horrendous! Glad you had a good time, though!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!