• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Spider-Man' The Musical

"Across the Universe" Stars Took Part in Recent Spider-Man Musical Workshop

By Ernio Hernandez
    Playbill
    09 Oct 2007

Julie Taymor cast the young lovers of her current film "Across the Universe," Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood, in the recent workshop of the forthcoming Spider-Man stage musical.

The director told talk-show host Charlie Rose that the young stars "were to die for" as the leads Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. She intimated the England-born Sturgess — who plays Jude in the Beatles-based movie musical — would be great for the title role in Spider-Man. "He's got an offer should it happen," Taymor said.
    As previously reported, Julie Taymor will direct the forthcoming musical version of the Marvel Comics hero with music provided by Bono and The Edge of the band U2. Glen Berger — playwright of Underneath The Lintel and The Wooden Breeks — joins Taymor on penning the book. (Neil Jordan — of "The Crying Game" fame — had previously been attached.) Taymor consistent collaborator Matthias "Teese" Gohl ("Across The Universe," "Frida," "Titus") will serve as musical supervisor.

The comic giant Marvel Entertainment will share producing credits with Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle and Martin McCallum.
    Taymor made history in 1998 as the first female director to earn the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical for the Broadway musical The Lion King — albeit mere moments after Garry Hynes became the first woman to win a Tony Award for Direction (for The Beauty Queen of Leenane). She also earned the Tony for Best Costume Design that night as well. The multi-genre director has lined her resume with Broadway credits (Juan Darien and The Green Bird), film work ("Titus" and "Frida") as well as opera productions ("Oedipus Rex" and the Metropolitan Opera run of "The Magic Flute").
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/111754.html

'Spiderman' Musical from Taymor, Bono & The Edge - 4/17/07
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...e+julie+taymor
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Re: 'Spider-Man' The Musical

I trust Julie Taymor but have a terrible sense of forboding about this project (remember Superman the musical? No, neither does anyone else!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I trust Julie Taymor but have a terrible sense of forboding about this project (remember Superman the musical? No, neither does anyone else!)
    She'll certainly bring the visual elements & the music really can't lose. It could be epic. I'll wait and see.

Here's the most recent Superman (super cute man!) from this summer:
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108417.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I heard some stuff on aintitcoolnews.com about this weird Spider god that plays a part of it...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Broadway is getting as bad as Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I LOVE the Superman musical. Hilarious, catchy score. It also got good reviews at the time, though it did close in 100-odd performances.

I actually think this has really good potential. I mean, it will be cheesy, but who DOESN'T want to see Spider-Man swinging around live?

• Banned User

No offense, but I think this Spider Man Musical idea is sort of a bad idea. I mean, Spider Man is okay, but I don't think it will fit as a musical. I bet it might be a flop. That's my opinion.

• Goofy

lol spiderman the musical hahaha im sorry. but its too funny.

• Circle of Ancients

As long as they have the old-school Spiderman theme-song in it it could be good.

• Minion

This sounds like a terrible idea.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

March 16, 2008

Most Americans first heard the name Jim Sturgess when he starred in Julie Taymor's musical movie Across the Universe, based on the songs of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, and when his director was doing interviews for that movie, she had expressed wanting to have Sturgess play Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Evan Rachel Wood as Mary Jane Watson in the new Broadway musical she is doing with Bono and The Edge.

When ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! had a chance to talk to Sturgess in Las Vegas for his new blackjack crime caper 21
    , we had to ask him if there was any word or developments about the musical and his involvement with it.

"I haven't spoken to Julie about it but we did do a two-week workshop for it over in New York, and it was just a real chance to hang out with Julie again," the British actor told us. "I love Julie, she's like a mentor to me, and Evan's just a great friend, and the three of us are just so bound by the experience we had doing 'Across the Universe.' It was a lot of fun. I was just playing music with Bono and Edge from U2, singing songs about Spider-Man. The project is definitely happening. Julie will definitely make this piece of theater. Whether I'll be in it or not, I have no idea at this point."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6935

na na na na na na na na spiderman spiderman na na na na na na na na spiderman spiderman. here comes peter on a clothesline but hes not peter he is spiderman spiderman!

- Peter Griffin from Family Guy Presents: Stewie Griffin the Untold Story

• Banned User

Okay, prepare to be outrage, because here's an update about Spiderman Musical:http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=28255

This will be Broadway's biggest...flop!

• Shablagoo!

Well I read nothing in that article that made me feel outrage. Still I have no interest in this.