Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 110
  1. #31

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bozeman, Montana, United States
    Posts
    8,666
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    How is it sensationalism? I'm really confused.

    She was asked a question and she answered. It wasn't a hyped up media event where she touted releasing never before information.

  2. #32

    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,191

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I really don't mind Dumbledore being gay, whatever, but I have to roll my eyes at Rowling making some big shocking revelation about a major character from a book series that is over when that big revelation has nothing to do with the storylines, was never mentioned or made known in the books, and is completely irrelevant. It just smacks of sensationalism and a refusal to let go. over.
    Nonsense. People who think it wasn't relevant, should actually take the time to read Rowling's comments and even re-read the book before making such a claim. From http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071021/...lwp4Ar69RxFb8C

    Gellert Grindelwald was a dark wizard of great power, who terrorized people much in the same way Harry's nemesis, Lord Voldemort, was to do a generation later. Readers hear of him in the first book, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," in a reference to how Dumbledore defeated him. In "Deathly Hallows," readers learn they once had been best friends.

    "Neither Dumbledore nor Grindelwald ever seems to have referred to this brief boyhood friendship in later life,'" Rowling writes. "However, there can be no doubt that Dumbledore delayed, for some five years of turmoil, fatalities, and disappearances, his attack upon Gellert Grindelwald. Was it lingering affection for the man or fear of exposure as his once best friend that caused Dumbledore to hesitate?"

    As a young man, Dumbledore, brilliant and powerful, had been forced to return home to look after his mentally ill younger sister and younger brother. It was a task he admits to Harry that he resented, because it derailed the bright future he had been looking forward to.

    Then Grindelwald, described by Rowling as "golden-haired, merry-faced," arrived after having been expelled from his own school. Grindelwald's aunt, Bathilda Bagshot, says of their meeting: "The boys took to each other at once." In a letter to Grindelwald, Dumbledore discusses their plans for gaining wizard dominance: "'(I)f you had not been expelled we would never have met.'"

    Potter readers had speculated about Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past.

    "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said Friday of Dumbledore's feelings about Grindelwald, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

    Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

  3. #33

    • Disney Freak #125
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The World of Two Moons... sometimes Disneyland... mostly my own world
    Posts
    21

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    I am glad that she revealed that Dumbledore is gay in that Q&A and not in the books. There was no way to say it in the books without being contrived. I give kudos to J.K. Roweling for that wonderful insight to a beloved character. It could have been the other way around, maybe she didn't reveal he was gay until after the books were released because she wanted people to like Dumbledore for who he was as a person and not for being gay.


  4. #34

    • Waiting for the stork
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a chaotic world
    Posts
    4,697

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by E.P. Ripley View Post
    Wow, big thumbs down to J.K. Rowling. I guess she felt that she had to do something to keep yourself in the spotlight now that the books have all been published. The books give no indication that Dumbledore was gay. If she felt it was pivotal to the story she should have mentioned it. Who cares about sales. If this was really the character of Dumbledore and it is pivotal it should have been mentioned. In fact, at this late date it does nothing to explain anything in the story. It only confuses the plot and makes everything more confusing. For instance, before one assumed that Dumbledore's love for Harry was pure, like the love a father has for a son. Now it seems a little creepy that Dumbledore spends so much time in a private office with Harry.

    The reason that it seems so creepy to spend so much time with Harry is that Dumbledore appears to be trying to replace his old love with Harry. Think about it, the other wizard that Dumbledore loved was a very powerful wizard. Harry, though still young will be a man soon and is also a powerful wizard. In his own mind Dumbledore sees his lover every time he is looking at Harry. This rather disturbing problem only develops when you make Dumbledore gay. You make him straight, how he actually is in the book imo, and this problem vanishes. You get a genuinely concerned parental figure and not someone who loves Harry because he sees in him his own lover.
    WOW! I'm stumped, just because he's gay, doesn't mean he's a pedophile, and to suggest such a thing is just plain (wow, pick an adjective, I can't come up with one that wouldn't be a personal attack)
    but ya know what...to link homosexuality with pedophile just sickens me and in my book is highly inapropriate to suggest...

    to see the rest of my thoughts read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL View Post
    She said that he was gay not a pedofile! To say that a gay man can't be a loving father figure to a boy is just ignorant. It has nothing to do with he and Harry's relationship whatsoever.
    EXACTLY!!! Many gay men are excellent fathers, teachers, etc. being gay has nothing to do with weather he can be a father figure or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    ^^ Well I beg to differ that even plays into the equation.

    I guess for me it's easy to understand why it would never come into play in the books.

    The books are told from Harry's perspective, for the most part Harry did not ponder the romantic relationships of his professor's. He took his example from the Weasley's and what he knew about his parents.

    Had he gone to Dumbledore to talk about romantic love, then, it would have been appropriate to the storyline to disclose Dumbledore's love life.

    I agree JKR was asked a question, she answered, and again showed the depth of her work to bring the characters to life. To her, they were complete whole beings.
    and she states it quite clearly here.
    Why would Dumbledore's relationships need to be examined in the books, he's not the main charactor. Harry is, and we know all about Harry's thoughts and feelings, and a bit about the close surrounding charactors, but not all.

    Why would Harry ever think to ask Dumbeldore about his love life, and so why would it ever be mentioned in the book.

    Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    How is it sensationalism? I'm really confused.

    She was asked a question and she answered. It wasn't a hyped up media event where she touted releasing never before information.
    See, and this is the most conclusive thing to me.
    it wasn't a staged event.

    too me it only emphesises that she knew her charactors, all about her charactors before writing them.
    I would venture that each and every charactor in her books has a backstory that makes them 'real' in their world.
    Umbridge has a back story, there are reasons for her behavoir that we just don't know, but Rowling does.
    or what about Flitwick, he has a whole story about how he attained his possition at hogwarts, and what happened in his childhood. We don't know it...but in the world of Hogwarts, they (all the charactors) have lives before the story began, and I think Rowlings has a very good grasp on who they all are.

    also, this bit of news doesn't surprise me one bit...
    really.

    While reading Hallows and all the information about Dumbeldore and Grindelwald I kept thinking there was something more, Dumbledore was not acting rationaly (he was acting like someone in love) don't believe me? re-read that part(s) with the new information.
    (go on, I'll wait....)


    See?

    And did Dumbledore move on, no, he held that hurt, that pain for the remainder of his life....

    I think this makes perfect sense to the story, nothing sensational about it.
    procrastibating

  5. #35

    • Faith, Trust & Pixie dust
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania6-5000
    Posts
    2,368

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by E.P. Ripley View Post
    Wow, big thumbs down to J.K. Rowling. I guess she felt that she had to do something to keep yourself in the spotlight now that the books have all been published.
    The way I heard it was, when they starting writing the screenplay for the next movie, the writer wanted to add a part about Dumbledore and and old girlfriend of his. Rowling said she didn't want that in the movie. When asked why, she simply said that Dumbledore was gay. An author can have their characters be whomever she wants them to be, for any reason. And just because it was not mentioned in the book, does not mean it has no bearing on the character. There is always tons of background stuff that never makes it into the book.

  6. #36

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
    While reading Hallows and all the information about Dumbeldore and Grindelwald I kept thinking there was something more, Dumbledore was not acting rationaly (he was acting like someone in love) don't believe me? re-read that part(s) with the new information.
    I agree, I think it's totally relevant in this light. How many people were so disappointed that "perfect" Dumbledore would have allowed himself to get caught up in this dark side of the wizarding world? I found it shocking! However, with this extra bit of information, it becomes much more significant to him having this relationship, following blindly in the quest, and totally makes his defeat of Grindlewald a bittersweet victory.

    Given the detail Rowling showed throughout the 7 books, you can't deny that she didn't already have this planned when we first see Dumbledore on that Chocolate Frog collector card. Okay, you can, but the rest of the clues and character connections should indicate a fully developed storyline from the beginning.
    A signature should go here.

  7. #37

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    I can't wait until pixie chick gets home and can give us a first hand account of how it all went down in NY!
    A signature should go here.

  8. #38

    • I'm a Muscle Fan!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    WHY do you NEED to KNOW??!
    Posts
    219

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    OOOoooh, I was waiting for this.

    OK, when I found out, first I roffled.

    Then, I shouted out ("YES! YES! HAHAHA YOU GO DUMBLEDORE") in my triumph.

    And then (since it seems to be happening in this thread) I waited for this.
    Because, apparently, the only constant in this world is HP wank. *sigh*

  9. #39

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Back in California BABY!
    Posts
    6,593

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post

    Also, gay men don't prey on children. Sick men do, AKA pedophiles.
    Thank you.
    In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe. -Michael Jackson



  10. #40

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Nonsense. People who think it wasn't relevant, should actually take the time to read Rowling's comments and even re-read the book before making such a claim. From http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071021/...lwp4Ar69RxFb8C
    Thank you for your synopsis, but I have read the books. A few times, in fact, and I can unequivocally say that yes, it is irrelevant. Whether Dumbledore was gay and in love with Grindelwald or not, he still would have acted much the same in regards to facing and putting down his dear and beloved friend. For example: I am straight, but at the suggestion of killing my dearest and best friend, whom I love very much, I would balk in much the same way. Love is a greater thing than orientation and romance. If anything, saying that Dumbledore's behavior toward Grindelwald was solely the result of him being gay and in love cheapens not only the character of Dumbledore himself, but the whole concept of love itself. Is it not a deeper message to say that one can simply love another for the sake of love than to say that, "Yeah, he only acted that way out of a gay crush?" I, for one, don't need Dumbledore to be gay in order to explain his actions. It doesn't matter if he is, but I don't need him to be.

    But I digress. This "revelation" is still ridiculous. Would we all be smacking our foreheads and saying, "I knew it!" if George Lucas came out and revealed that Anakin Skywalker was a hermaphrodite? Or what if Indiana Jones was secretly the heir to the throne of the lost city of Atlantis? Or Han Solo has hemophilia? Lucas created them. He knows his characters better than us, right? So any author should of course have carte blanche to run around making statements and revising their characters outside of the story and we as an audience should hang on every word and accept each one?

    Sorry, but I disagree. Had it been written into the books and carried some weight of reason and purpose, then it would be fine, but that isn't the case. I'll take what I read in the books as "canon." If Rowling can't let the story and characters go then she needs to write another book, but her statements I can easily disregard, and will.



    EDIT: I just wanted to throw in an aside that I forgot. The idea that Dumbledore had NAMBLA urges toward Harry just because he was gay is, as has been pointed out, cosmically stupid. Honestly, this is 2007. Let's leave asinine ideas like that buried in the sands of time along with eugenics, segregation and other moronically dumb ideas. Get real.

  11. #41

    • Man O Lantern
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    It's fall, ya'll!
    Posts
    8,484

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    I told my 12 year old daughter and we read some of the news reports and all she had to say about it was, "That's so cool!!" Then she ran off to call her friend and they're gushing about it right now and reading passages from the book to each other over the phone.

    That's what it's all about.

    We can't wait to buy any supplemental appendices.

    My favorite part of the Lord of the Rings books are the appendices--that's how you learn about Sam becoming Mayor and how many kids he has, etc.

  12. #42

    • missing the DisneyGallery
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    322

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    She is currently putting together a book of information about the characters that she was not able to include in the novels for fear they would get way too long. So I'm sure this will be in the background of Dumbledore.
    Putting together a book of character information is a waste of our time. If it wasn't important enough to include in the 2,000+ pages we have already read then find some way to continue the series in a fashion that doesn't take away from the original story.

    When attractions were original

  13. #43

    • Man O Lantern
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    It's fall, ya'll!
    Posts
    8,484

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    How does it take away from the original story? And how it a waste of "our" time?

  14. #44

    • missing the DisneyGallery
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    322

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Because this is a very open minded response;

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    And of course, immediately likening him to pedophile is the next natural step for the intolerant and small-minded amongst us.

    When attractions were original

  15. #45

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bozeman, Montana, United States
    Posts
    8,666
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    I think stinkerbell gave you the best example.

    I love the Lord of the Ring stories more because of the additional material provided by Tolkien himself and later his son.

    The mind of a writer is simply amazing. All the bits and pieces they put together so that they can tell us an engaging story is amazing. Seeing those additional pieces just helps me better understand the characters and the world that the author created.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who Is The Better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or Michael Gambon
    By AidensDaddy in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
  2. Disneyland model cut outs
    By Zeus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •