Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 110
  1. #46

    • missing the DisneyGallery
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    322

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    How does it take away from the original story? And how it a waste of "our" time?
    I never said it (a source book of some kind) would take away from the original story. I stated that she should find some way to continue the series in a fashion that doesn't take away from the original story.

    And it would be a waste of time if it isnt a story in itself by adding information that wasn't included in the book. If its that important then it should have been in the book. If she goes back and adds it later its kind of insulting to the reader.

    When attractions were original

  2. #47

    • And they call me Mad!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your Mind
    Posts
    10,962
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    All I have to say is, put yourself in Dumbledore's shoes:

    What an idiot....

    Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.


  3. #48

    • Man O Lantern
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    It's fall, ya'll!
    Posts
    8,484

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Mmmm, in that case, I'd rather be in Ginny's.

  4. #49

    • And they call me Mad!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your Mind
    Posts
    10,962
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Mmmm, in that case, I'd rather be in Ginny's.
    I'd like to be in Ginny too.













    Wait....what?
    What an idiot....

    Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.


  5. #50

    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,190

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    Because this is a very open minded response;
    There's no excuse for equating homosexuality with pedophilia, period. So yeah, duh, I'm not open minded to such nonsense.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

  6. #51

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    As was stated earlier in this thread , the books are told from Harry's point of view. There was no reason for Harry to know that Dumbledore was gay, so, it wasn't mentioned in the books. If you ever read an interview w/ Rowling you see that she has very detailed pasts of her characters in her mind. I think that is how she is able to make them so endearing. I'm sure she has other things about other characters in her mind that haven't been part of the books, this one just happened to come out.

  7. #52

    • Wait, what?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rainier, OR
    Posts
    7,245
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    i just ask "did we need to know?" not really....i mean the series is over, and if she didn't feel it importiant enough for the books, why tell us now? you know.
    My thoughts exactly

  8. #53

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bringing it back
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL View Post
    As was stated earlier in this thread , the books are told from Harry's point of view. There was no reason for Harry to know that Dumbledore was gay, so, it wasn't mentioned in the books. If you ever read an interview w/ Rowling you see that she has very detailed pasts of her characters in her mind. I think that is how she is able to make them so endearing. I'm sure she has other things about other characters in her mind that haven't been part of the books, this one just happened to come out.
    here's a thought, maybe Harry and all the students knew Dumbledore was gay and didn't really care or see it as a big deal and so it was never brought up in the books because it was a non-issue to the characters themselves.

    ErikAnders.smugmug.com

    Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ


    1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

  9. #54

    • missing the DisneyGallery
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    322

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    There's no excuse for equating homosexuality with pedophilia, period. So yeah, duh, I'm not open minded to such nonsense.
    I was only commenting on the fact that you said the next natural step; as if you know the next natural step of someone elses cognitive path; which is not very open minded. It had nothing to do with equating homosexuality with pedophilia.

    When attractions were original

  10. #55

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    427

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post

    But I digress. This "revelation" is still ridiculous. Would we all be smacking our foreheads and saying, "I knew it!" if George Lucas came out and revealed that Anakin Skywalker was a hermaphrodite? Or what if Indiana Jones was secretly the heir to the throne of the lost city of Atlantis? Or Han Solo has hemophilia? Lucas created them. He knows his characters better than us, right? So any author should of course have carte blanche to run around making statements and revising their characters outside of the story and we as an audience should hang on every word and accept each one?

    Sorry, but I disagree. Had it been written into the books and carried some weight of reason and purpose, then it would be fine, but that isn't the case. I'll take what I read in the books as "canon." If Rowling can't let the story and characters go then she needs to write another book, but her statements I can easily disregard, and will.
    My thoughts exactly. When an author, even the original author starts making all these little side revelations about characters after the story has been completed, I really have a hard time taking them much more seriously than fanfiction. I realize authors don't think up a story or character in a very linear manner, and have a whole backstory in their mind for every character bringing them more to life. However, anything about a character that an author intends the readers to believe should either be somehow incorporated into the story, or at the very least should be much more obvious. If it's not part of the story, leave it as ambiguous. This really struck me as being an afterthought, which is fine if she is still continuing the story, but the story is over with.

  11. #56

    • I'm baaaaccckkk!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,436
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    I don't think it was an afterthought at all. I'm sure some of you have seen the Biography on Rowling, where she allows the cameras into her writing room and you see PAGES and PAGES of writing. She said all of it was backstory and information on her characters that won't be in the book. She said it helped her as a writer to have all of these backstories...
    I, personally like the idea of Dumbledore being gay. Dumbledore was such a noble wizard that it was hard to believe that he ever made mistakes or had lapse of judgement. The fact that he went awry for a bit because he was in love makes a whole lot more sense to me, and makes Dumbledore more personable.
    I cannot wait to learn more about all of the other characters...
    <3 Chloe

  12. #57

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anacortes, WA
    Posts
    8,618
    Blog Entries
    82

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    I think his "backstory" by comparsion to Dean Thomas is... nothing. Dean's I was crying over.

  13. #58

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,911

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    What's sad is Jim Henson is cold in the ground and we'll never know the truth about Bert and Ernie.

  14. #59

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    53,979
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Perhaps she is intending on incorporating this fact into the movies that are yet to be filmed.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

  15. #60

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anacortes, WA
    Posts
    8,618
    Blog Entries
    82

    Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

    Bert and Ernie? I always thought the controversey was Oscar and Wormie...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who Is The Better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or Michael Gambon
    By AidensDaddy in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
  2. Disneyland model cut outs
    By Zeus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •