Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• missing the DisneyGallery

Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    How does it take away from the original story? And how it a waste of "our" time?
    I never said it (a source book of some kind) would take away from the original story. I stated that she should find some way to continue the series in a fashion that doesn't take away from the original story.

And it would be a waste of time if it isnt a story in itself by adding information that wasn't included in the book. If its that important then it should have been in the book. If she goes back and adds it later its kind of insulting to the reader.

When attractions were original

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

All I have to say is, put yourself in Dumbledore's shoes:

What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Man O Lantern

Mmmm, in that case, I'd rather be in Ginny's.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Mmmm, in that case, I'd rather be in Ginny's.
    I'd like to be in Ginny too.

Wait....what?
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    Because this is a very open minded response;
    There's no excuse for equating homosexuality with pedophilia, period. So yeah, duh, I'm not open minded to such nonsense.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

As was stated earlier in this thread , the books are told from Harry's point of view. There was no reason for Harry to know that Dumbledore was gay, so, it wasn't mentioned in the books. If you ever read an interview w/ Rowling you see that she has very detailed pasts of her characters in her mind. I think that is how she is able to make them so endearing. I'm sure she has other things about other characters in her mind that haven't been part of the books, this one just happened to come out.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    i just ask "did we need to know?" not really....i mean the series is over, and if she didn't feel it importiant enough for the books, why tell us now? you know.
    My thoughts exactly

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL View Post
    As was stated earlier in this thread , the books are told from Harry's point of view. There was no reason for Harry to know that Dumbledore was gay, so, it wasn't mentioned in the books. If you ever read an interview w/ Rowling you see that she has very detailed pasts of her characters in her mind. I think that is how she is able to make them so endearing. I'm sure she has other things about other characters in her mind that haven't been part of the books, this one just happened to come out.
    here's a thought, maybe Harry and all the students knew Dumbledore was gay and didn't really care or see it as a big deal and so it was never brought up in the books because it was a non-issue to the characters themselves.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    There's no excuse for equating homosexuality with pedophilia, period. So yeah, duh, I'm not open minded to such nonsense.
    I was only commenting on the fact that you said the next natural step; as if you know the next natural step of someone elses cognitive path; which is not very open minded. It had nothing to do with equating homosexuality with pedophilia.

When attractions were original

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post

But I digress. This "revelation" is still ridiculous. Would we all be smacking our foreheads and saying, "I knew it!" if George Lucas came out and revealed that Anakin Skywalker was a hermaphrodite? Or what if Indiana Jones was secretly the heir to the throne of the lost city of Atlantis? Or Han Solo has hemophilia? Lucas created them. He knows his characters better than us, right? So any author should of course have carte blanche to run around making statements and revising their characters outside of the story and we as an audience should hang on every word and accept each one?

Sorry, but I disagree. Had it been written into the books and carried some weight of reason and purpose, then it would be fine, but that isn't the case. I'll take what I read in the books as "canon." If Rowling can't let the story and characters go then she needs to write another book, but her statements I can easily disregard, and will.
    My thoughts exactly. When an author, even the original author starts making all these little side revelations about characters after the story has been completed, I really have a hard time taking them much more seriously than fanfiction. I realize authors don't think up a story or character in a very linear manner, and have a whole backstory in their mind for every character bringing them more to life. However, anything about a character that an author intends the readers to believe should either be somehow incorporated into the story, or at the very least should be much more obvious. If it's not part of the story, leave it as ambiguous. This really struck me as being an afterthought, which is fine if she is still continuing the story, but the story is over with.

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

I don't think it was an afterthought at all. I'm sure some of you have seen the Biography on Rowling, where she allows the cameras into her writing room and you see PAGES and PAGES of writing. She said all of it was backstory and information on her characters that won't be in the book. She said it helped her as a writer to have all of these backstories...
    I, personally like the idea of Dumbledore being gay. Dumbledore was such a noble wizard that it was hard to believe that he ever made mistakes or had lapse of judgement. The fact that he went awry for a bit because he was in love makes a whole lot more sense to me, and makes Dumbledore more personable.
    I cannot wait to learn more about all of the other characters...
    <3 Chloe

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I think his "backstory" by comparsion to Dean Thomas is... nothing. Dean's I was crying over.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

What's sad is Jim Henson is cold in the ground and we'll never know the truth about Bert and Ernie.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Perhaps she is intending on incorporating this fact into the movies that are yet to be filmed.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Bert and Ernie? I always thought the controversey was Oscar and Wormie...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast