Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Seasick

Re: Rowling outs Dumbledore

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Which is why there's a subversive genius in what Ms. Rowling has done. By declining to lead with sexuality, she allows readers to first know a beloved character in the fullness of his likes and dislikes, weaknesses and strengths -- like anyone else. And the revelation, when it comes, is only "an extra detail."
    This is a very good point. Today, someone's homosexuality tends to be seen as their defining characteristic. Just look at the uproar over Dumbledore, despite the fact that Rowling has been revealing backstory on her characters on a regular basis since the publication of the final book.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I know this is late, but this post from my trip report has my report and my "transcripts" from the Q&A session that night.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=4
    <o>

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

We've been waiting for your firsthand account, thanks PC!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I do not mind that a fictional character is gay or not. I would rather it be in the book though. What upsets me about Rowling is that alot of canon is only in interviews. These can easily be lost to the sands of time.

I hope she revises.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• is NOT Lea Salonga

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Lame.

I'm sure that I'll get flamed by those who don't read this entire post, but all the same I think this is stupid. I really don't mind Dumbledore being gay, whatever, but I have to roll my eyes at Rowling making some big shocking revelation about a major character from a book series that is over when that big revelation has nothing to do with the storylines, was never mentioned or made known in the books, and is completely irrelevant. It just smacks of sensationalism and a refusal to let go. And let me reiterate, this has nothing to do with him being gay. She could announce that he was asexual, or collected stamps, or secretly raised gerbils to transfigure into house elves. The point is that making statements like this after the fact just to get attention cheapens the whole experience of being a fan of the books and makes me lose a little respect for Rowling. Now I'm wondering what's next: Hermione has a meth addiction? Hagrid is secretly the president of Avril Lavigne's fan club? Ron has ED? Come on... If the series is over, let it be over.
    Thank you. That's exactly my opinion on the whole matter.

It really has nothing to do with "OMG! It's great that there's a gay character in children's books! Yay for representin'!" I'm just more upset at the fact that J. K. Rowling only did this for the sake of attention.

I'll just stick to the books as they are.

Though it would be interesting to see how this is going to play out in the movies, but I don't really see it as a big deal. *shrugs*

She could have said Harry is really Black, Ginny has AIDS and is leaving to join the cast of Rent, etc, my opinion would still remain the same.

Escapade
    Disneyland Resort trip reports

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678